BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jmkizer

So, are you allowed to come back after a two-year hiatus?? 

Hey, everyone.  Hope you all are doing well!!

Welcome back!  You know the whole Once A Manatee, Always A Manatee saying!  Of course you are in! Just remember that inactive Manatees make us sad so please post early and often.  (And post a bio when you have a chance.)

Whew!! Thought I was going to have to grovel a little bit!! 

Well, maybe update your training blog so it doesn't say 2014 and 2015 anymore.

Just hangin' on to the past. 

I'd have to put 1985 if that's the case

2017-01-03 9:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by rrrunner Anyone have experience (hearsay is fine) on IMMD?

I am not doing MD for several reasons

• hotels few and far between (and pricey)
  • you can't get there from here
  • it was deemed not sherpa friendly
  • flat bike and run and reputation for choppy swim (it is in the Choptank, after all!)
  • it has a poor record of actually occurring (50% since WTC took it over and moved the date)

Sue may have more to add.

Come and do Lou with us!  Manatee Mayhem!

For those who have not been following along, Anne, Ann-Marie, and I have all registered for Louisville.

Yeah, IMMD has been a hot mess since WTC took it over.  When it was ChesapeakeMan they had it a week or two earlier which makes all the difference around here in September/October.

It doesn't help that where they have it is basically sea level, or at least level with the Bay anyway.  That whole are has been getting more and more underwater for years.  There was actually a big article in the Baltimore Sun about remediation strategies to combat the rising water (and sinking ground, apparently) in Blackwater (where the bike part is).

2017-01-03 9:52 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

And my bio

NAME: Jen         

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Instagram – @juniper_jen176, Garmin Connect jkolstein

STORY: I am 36 and have been involved in endurance sport since 2005 when I joined our local running shop’s 10k training clinic. I had no other background but fell in love with it immediately. I was solely into running for a while. I met my now husband at the LRS when we were both training for our first marathons and he was into tris. I didn’t swim or own a bike but I went with him to Ironman Canada in 2007 and I wanted to do that (you know you’re a little crazy when you want do it when you see it).

So in 2008 I started learning how to swim and it was a big undertaking. But I now really love it. I managed to do some short tris in 2009 but faced the panic of open water swim. I did my first HIM in 2010 and then did Ironman Mont Tremblant in 2012. Had an awesome day. Just about 10 months later I had a baby girl. Since she came along I’ve done two more HIMs and have every intention of finding a way to keep at it even with the craziness of small kids (2nd is on the way

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 3.5 year old daughter and a baby on the way – due at the end of April (we didn’t find out the sex)

CURRENT TRAINING: So far, just trying to stay active. Walking, don’t feel like running, some swimming and yoga, and whatever else floats my boat.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: My sister gave me an entry to a local women’s half marathon in September. Should be a good post-baby goal. With the baby due at the end of April, I am not likely to make it to the tri season – at least not locally. But I’ll definitely be back on the scene.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I love to keep up with awesome tri peeps like yourself and have an outlet for my ‘crazy’, er, passion.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I supporting others in their goals and discussing everything triathlon!!

2017-01-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Back from vaca and excited to be part of this group again!

NAME: Justin

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Occasional Facebook lurker

STORY: I've been athletic for as long as I can remember. I played anything and everything in HS and was a recruited rugby player and team captain in college. Upon graduating I moved to NYC and took a job where I worked 80-100 hrs per week. Fast forward 10 years and about 25 lbs (heavier), I got married and took a new job in Dallas which has much better hours. After a few years of casually working out, I decided to sign up for a triathlon and although it was a small, local race I wound up winning my age group and I've been hooked ever since.

FAMILY STATUS: Married. We have 1 son who's 1.5 years old and we have another bun in the oven.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've never had a coach or been part of a tri-group/club but I do my best to keep a good balance between the 3 disciplines. My focus is Olympic distance and HIM's and I train 5-6 days/week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: With our new baby due at the end of April, my race calendar is in flux. I'm registered for Age Group Nationals in August (Olympic Distance) and I'm hopeful I can get a few more Olympic/HIM's in between now and this time next year .

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I strive to always improve as an athlete and look forward to making new connections and friends with similar goals and passions. My medium/long terms goals are to break a 2 hour Olympic and 5 Hour HIM. I also think it'd be really cool to qualify and race for Team USA but that may not happen until I reach the 80-85 age group!

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I really enjoy the banter, chatter and knowledge from this group. I have very few friends that still have the itch to compete and while I know they think I'm crazy for being in the same (or better) shape than I was in high school, I find it sad that none of them have the desire to train and compete like we all used to do year after year. While not a frequent poster, I try to add value from the non-expert and non-coached perspective wherever possible. I've also really enjoyed getting to know everyone and I look forward to another year of Manatee PR, learning about new/exciting races and hopefully getting to meet some of you in person!
2017-01-03 10:28 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Justin!

Age Group Nationals -- woo hoo!

2017-01-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by abake CURRENT TRAINING: I used a Training Peaks coach and am mostly in base building for some spring gravel races and a half maraton  

What gravel races do you know of? Trying to find some for myself and my brother that are closer by. Seems many are at least hours away or farther, likely needing an overnight stay. Hard for him with a rather young family.

have you seen this site? http://www.gravelcyclist.com/calendar/I dont think all the races are there but its a start. I also found talking to a resident CX'er at your LBS can find you gravel races.

2017-01-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Here goes

NAME: Robin

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook (beware, I post political).

STORY: Never a true athlete. I did some mountain biking, kayaking, hiking etc. I was a smoker and finally got that monkey off my back but that helped to make me chubbier than I already was. I was midlife + and decided to lose weight and did. I  started running from ground minus zero, added swimming and someone mentioned tris. I tried and did, and it made me feel awesome. 9 years later and I am still a BOP tri-er. Olympic distance was as far as I have gone..... so far.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 20years with two grown step kids and one brand new grand kid. 3 cats and soon to be dog mom (lost my sweetie of 12 years this summer )

CURRENT TRAINING: Catching up and trying to get consistent to hopefully do a HIM this may (or if not then, with Jaynine this summer).

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: HIM in May and the NYC tri this summer are the goals. Some fun running races added in throughout the year.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to be consistent with my training.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love the inclusiveness, information and banter.

2017-01-03 10:41 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

And Since we are Manatees:

Thank you so much for participating in last year’s Virtual Save the Manatee 5K. We are very proud that last year we had almost 800 virtual participants from all 50 states, three Canadian provinces, and seven different countries. With our virtual and actual race, we were able to donate $26,000 to the Save the Manatee Club.

We are excited to again offer a virtual race option. As a virtual race, feel free to run, swim, canoe, kayak or walk at your pace wherever you like. The actual event is Saturday, May 20, 2017, but you can complete your virtual race at any time.

To register, please visit: http://www.hughesregistrationservices.com/races/EVERAL/savethemanat... will start mailing race packets in April. Your packet will include your race t-shirt and manatee race bib. We are excited to also provide newly designed finisher’s medal this year.

For more race information please visit www.savethemanatee5k.com or www.facebook.com/SaveTheManatee5K.

2017-01-03 11:21 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by amd723

ok cyclists, I've got a bike gearing question.  I understand that I have a 12-25 cassette on my P2.  Looking at posts on the IM Louisville FB page there is a discussion that most people use 11-28.  Other than knowing what the numbers represent, I don't really know how one or the other would be a benefit or  detriment for a hilly route.  Any advice and education is appreciated!

The 12 is what use when you are doing flat stuff and going fast.  The 25/27/28 is what you use to spin up hills.  You'll probably want a different cassette.  I expect that your P2 already has a compact crank.

So, how easy is it to get a new cassette?!

Swapping cassettes is fairly straight forward but there are a few things to watch for. Chain length - If you add a larger rear cog you have to be sure that the chain is long enough to run the Big in front and the Big in rear. You Ideally shouldnt be using this combo as it is called cross chaining and puts the chain at an awkward angle but if it does happen and if the chain is too short nasty things will happen. Derailleur - you also have to be sure that your existing derailleur can accommodate the larger cog.

Actual swapping the cassette is done with a chain whip and cassette tool. Learning to do the actual change over is helpful as its a 5 minute job and would allow you to swap to the "fast" cassette for flatland work or to the "climbing" cassette if you planned to ride in the hills. It also makes doing a really though cleaning easier.

For you I would recommend bringing your bike into a bike shop, tell them what you want to do and either have them put on the cassette or buy the tools and ask that they walk you through the change.

Bike mechanics seem daunting but a lot of jobs are actually quite simple - especially with resources like parktools, Sheldon Brown and youtube.
2017-01-03 11:56 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Welcome back Justin, Sean, Makus, Ben, Tom, Dave, Robin and Robin. It looks like we are shaping up to have a good group this year. I am hopeful that we get the opportunity to help some newer triathletes as well motivating the current crop of returnees. I know I can use all the motivation possible, since it truly seems my mojo has taken my discipline for a loooong walk.

2017-01-03 11:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by cdban66

Welcome back Justin, Sean, Makus, Ben, Tom, Dave, Robin and Robin. It looks like we are shaping up to have a good group this year. I am hopeful that we get the opportunity to help some newer triathletes as well motivating the current crop of returnees. I know I can use all the motivation possible, since it truly seems my mojo has taken my discipline for a loooong walk.

Word. same here.

2017-01-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

And Since we are Manatees:

Thank you so much for participating in last year’s Virtual Save the Manatee 5K. We are very proud that last year we had almost 800 virtual participants from all 50 states, three Canadian provinces, and seven different countries. With our virtual and actual race, we were able to donate $26,000 to the Save the Manatee Club.

We are excited to again offer a virtual race option. As a virtual race, feel free to run, swim, canoe, kayak or walk at your pace wherever you like. The actual event is Saturday, May 20, 2017, but you can complete your virtual race at any time.

To register, please visit: http://www.hughesregistrationservices.com/races/EVERAL/savethemanat... will start mailing race packets in April. Your packet will include your race t-shirt and manatee race bib. We are excited to also provide newly designed finisher’s medal this year.

For more race information please visit www.savethemanatee5k.com or www.facebook.com/SaveTheManatee5K.

Great idea!  I did this last year an I love the shirt :-D

Save the Manatee Virtual 5k

2017-01-03 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We seem to have fallen down on the job with recruiting newbies!  We have Sue who is a new Manatee but a BT old timer ;-)  Get recruiting, people!

2017-01-03 12:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DaveL
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by abake CURRENT TRAINING: I used a Training Peaks coach and am mostly in base building for some spring gravel races and a half maraton  

What gravel races do you know of? Trying to find some for myself and my brother that are closer by. Seems many are at least hours away or farther, likely needing an overnight stay. Hard for him with a rather young family.

have you seen this site? http://www.gravelcyclist.com/calendar/I dont think all the races are there but its a start. I also found talking to a resident CX'er at your LBS can find you gravel races.

Very nice! There are a decent number within about 4 hrs of him, so might be able to work something. Didn't see any well under 2, but might still go do something myself. Minnesota had a fair number at least.

2017-01-03 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

ok cyclists, I've got a bike gearing question.  I understand that I have a 12-25 cassette on my P2.  Looking at posts on the IM Louisville FB page there is a discussion that most people use 11-28.  Other than knowing what the numbers represent, I don't really know how one or the other would be a benefit or  detriment for a hilly route.  Any advice and education is appreciated!

The 12 is what use when you are doing flat stuff and going fast.  The 25/27/28 is what you use to spin up hills.  You'll probably want a different cassette.  I expect that your P2 already has a compact crank.

Swapping cassettes is fairly straight forward but there are a few things to watch for. Chain length - If you add a larger rear cog you have to be sure that the chain is long enough to run the Big in front and the Big in rear. You Ideally shouldnt be using this combo as it is called cross chaining and puts the chain at an awkward angle but if it does happen and if the chain is too short nasty things will happen. Derailleur - you also have to be sure that your existing derailleur can accommodate the larger cog. Actual swapping the cassette is done with a chain whip and cassette tool. Learning to do the actual change over is helpful as its a 5 minute job and would allow you to swap to the "fast" cassette for flatland work or to the "climbing" cassette if you planned to ride in the hills. It also makes doing a really though cleaning easier. For you I would recommend bringing your bike into a bike shop, tell them what you want to do and either have them put on the cassette or buy the tools and ask that they walk you through the change. Bike mechanics seem daunting but a lot of jobs are actually quite simple - especially with resources like parktools, Sheldon Brown and youtube.

Thanks.  I would like to know how to do it myself as there is a lot of flat riding around here. But, I also don't like greasy hands LOL.  Is an 11-28 larger than 12-25?!

2017-01-03 12:31 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by awm007

Word. same here.

Me too! I keep trying to find a race to get me motivated again but can't settle on one. I was excited about the MCM but DS2 thinks he won't be able to do it this year.  I'm tempted to register us both anyway, just in case. The down side is I have to travel there twice, once for the qualifier and once for the race.

2017-01-03 12:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Swapping cassettes is fairly straight forward but there are a few things to watch for. Chain length - If you add a larger rear cog you have to be sure that the chain is long enough to run the Big in front and the Big in rear. You Ideally shouldnt be using this combo as it is called cross chaining and puts the chain at an awkward angle but if it does happen and if the chain is too short nasty things will happen. Derailleur - you also have to be sure that your existing derailleur can accommodate the larger cog. Actual swapping the cassette is done with a chain whip and cassette tool. Learning to do the actual change over is helpful as its a 5 minute job and would allow you to swap to the "fast" cassette for flatland work or to the "climbing" cassette if you planned to ride in the hills. It also makes doing a really though cleaning easier. For you I would recommend bringing your bike into a bike shop, tell them what you want to do and either have them put on the cassette or buy the tools and ask that they walk you through the change. Bike mechanics seem daunting but a lot of jobs are actually quite simple - especially with resources like parktools, Sheldon Brown and youtube.

Thanks.  I would like to know how to do it myself as there is a lot of flat riding around here. But, I also don't like greasy hands LOL.  Is an 11-28 larger than 12-25?!

With the 28t on there, yes, it will physically be a bit bigger. I don't think that really makes a difference in gripping it though.

As for the gear ratios, it spreads over a wider range so it's both bigger and smaller. The 11t is a bigger gear than the 12t even though it's physically smaller. The 28 is a smaller (or lower) gear than the 25. Some like to think the 11 for flats is better, but it's really more of a downhill gear unless you're really trying to move. Like bike sprint speed (not sprint tri speed) which I'd guess would only happen with a massive draft such as from a group of people booking it or from a vehicle. The tighter spacing of a 12-25 is usually more appreciated in flatter terrain.

2017-01-03 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Yes, the 11-28 will provide a lower gear ratio than the 11-25 will.  I think Ben wrote about it earlier, but you divide the rear cog (the number on the cassette) by the front crank, and that tells you how "Hard" it is to pedal.  So, all things equal it will feel easier to spin up in the 28 than the 25.  That's oversimplifying of course but so answer your question...YES

As for greasy hands - yeah, that'll happen when changing the cassette.  But if you so from flat to terrain to hilly often, then it's worth the trouble buying the $30 worth of tools and learning how to do it.

2017-01-03 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thank all of you for the primer in gearing and cassettes! I've ridden for years and managed to avoid gaining any knowledge of it of course, living where I do, it really hasn't been much of an issue.  

Assuming my hamstring ever heals and I can actually start riding ( and running) again, I will get the 11-28 and attempt to learn how to switch things out. Greasy hands be damned!!

2017-01-03 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thank all of you for the primer in gearing and cassettes! I've ridden for years and managed to avoid gaining any knowledge of it of course, living where I do, it really hasn't been much of an issue.  

Assuming my hamstring ever heals and I can actually start riding ( and running) again, I will get the 11-28 and attempt to learn how to switch things out. Greasy hands be damned!!

The LBS is your friend. Bring a six pack, and a desire to learn and most of them are quite helpful. If all else fails, take a trip to Englewood on a Saturday 

And latex shop gloves can be helpful for your own use. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKlQgTHi_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-MYHOpzT5A

I just find the English accent appealing 

Edited by cdban66 2017-01-03 1:10 PM
2017-01-03 1:04 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yes, the 11-28 will provide a lower gear ratio than the 11-25 will.  I think Ben wrote about it earlier, but you divide the rear cog (the number on the cassette) by the front crank, and that tells you how "Hard" it is to pedal.  So, all things equal it will feel easier to spin up in the 28 than the 25.  That's oversimplifying of course but so answer your question...YES

As for greasy hands - yeah, that'll happen when changing the cassette.  But if you so from flat to terrain to hilly often, then it's worth the trouble buying the $30 worth of tools and learning how to do it.

It's the other way around, front over back. The ratio is between what the front is doing over the back. The bigger this ratio is, the more the rear wheel will spin for 1 turn of the cranks.

50/28=1.79

50/11=4.55

In the 28, the rear wheel spins 1.79 times for every turn of the crank whereas with the 11 it will spin 4.55 times. So the 11 is meant to be used at faster speeds than the 28.

The term "hard" is often used, but do remember that it's more about matching up what you like to spin at for the speeds you expect to be going. Using the 28t to go 25 mph is also hard, just in a different way. The hard part is that you're trying to pedal at a cadence outside of what you're used to or best at. It comes up way more often for uphill as you have to keep putting out power to get over. You can slow down enough that you're working outside of normal (below normal in this case) even in the lowest gear. Going down hill you just stop pedaling and coast instead of pedaling crazy fast.

2017-01-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner Anyone have experience (hearsay is fine) on IMMD?

Not the best track record.  2014 I think it was, it got postponed for 2 weeks because of a hurricane.  

Last year it got held despite massive local flooding from a hurricane/storm system, removing the swim and shortening the bike and/or run, I believe.  Pictures from the ‘run’ showed people slogging through floodwaters that were mid-shin/knee deep. I’ve heard quite a few horror stories from last year.  I think it was still actively raining and blowing, too.

Late season tris on the east coast can be a crap shoot with weather.

Edited to add:  oops, I just saw a good handful of manatees just wrote the same thing.  Oh well, we're all driving home the point that it's maybe not the best choice...

Edited by melbo55 2017-01-03 1:48 PM
2017-01-03 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yes, because 28 is bigger than 25 ;-)

FWIW, 28 is the number of teeth on the cassette.

2017-01-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas
Y'all need to start waxing your chains. My drivetrain is always sparkly clean. No more dirty hands or black lines on my calf either. And it allegedly saves watts.
2017-01-03 2:17 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York
Name: Riley Skye

Social media: Facebook and instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ribear91/)

Story: Been a runner my whole life and got into triathlon when I graduated high school in '09. Got into the best shape of my life in those years, was even on BT for a number of years as well! Triathlon really got me to love running since I was also cycling and swimming. I dropped the 20lb I always wanted to and became very competitive. I began collecting various AG awards, got my 5K down to 20 minutes. I finished every distance under the sun culminating with IMLP back in 2012. Then afterwards I came out as transgender and the stresses of coming out made my depression take over. I quit the sport and gained 80lb in the process as well. Life wasn't good until I decided to make it better last year. I got back into triathlon and though I struggled last year I managed to finish several triathlons, plenty of 5K's and even the great cow harbor 10K 4 months ago! I'm so very happy to have turned myself back around for the better with a new leaf on life

Family status: I have a lovely girlfriend and still living with the parents

Current training: Trying to be consisstant after dealing with sickness and injury the past couple months

Goals: finish an olympic distance triathlon, run a sub 50 minute 10K and 23 minute 5K

What make me a good manatee: BT was such a great community when I was here from 09-12, everyone here was so fun and friendly and I'm finally getting back into my sport and want to get faster!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102