BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-16 11:39 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Rileyvb91
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I have been having a rough month so far. I haven't found the energy to run or go hard on my bike ride except a week ago. Then over the weekend I got sick, whole body just hurt, tired and dehydrated. Been sleeping a lot but somewhat restless. I definitely feel that my mind can do so much more than my body will allow, it's very tough going from a middle/front packer to a beginner. Also runnings been hard, barely have been thanks to a bum ankle that finally healed over the weekend....it has finally healed :D Now that I'm done venting I want to really need advice on starting over, Still very motivated and thankfully not taking it too hard but I'm mentally exhausted with this fatigue. I would love to try and find a solution to this so that I can properly begin exercising and not be hurting myself coming back

I don't know that I can offer meaningful help about starting over when you are exhausted with fatigue.  You need to figure out why you are so exhausted and work to correct that.  Once you are feeling better it's pretty straight forward, jump back in with a slow build.  If you have trouble training alone, find a running group, masters swim group and or bike club.    I also find having a race to target helps keep me on track.

Good luck and feel better!

I've definitely been getting my diet a lot better over the past year. I'm coming with a strategy to increase the my run intervals roughly 10% a week, 20-40s walking, until I'm walking only every other mile by June. Also increasing my long runs & bikes 10% every other week so I'm hitting a 10 mile run and bike ride just before my taper in August

I always suggest it due to my personal experience - but if you already know the sources of your fatigue then this may not matter but i've had very low vitamin B12 levels (even though i eat meat) before as well as borderline Iron levels. So for me, if i am experiencing normal training levels, life stress as well then it is time to get checked out. It seems to be particular to when i am in heavy training. 

anyway, it may not be your issue but something to think about. 

Wouldn't hurt to go to your doctor and get some baseline blood work done.  I have to do it every year to qualify for health care incentives for my company, and it's always reassuring to know everything's where it's supposed to be. 

Or you can identify an issue that can be easily resolved.  about 15 years ago, my wife was suffering from this bizarre weight gain - she was working out like 7 hours/week and eating normally but had gained like 50 pounds.  Turned out she had hypothryoidism (or hyper..I get them mixed up).  Daily synthroid and she lost that weight in about 3 months.  Funny thing is that she did her first triathlon at her peak weight, and is still her PR at the sprint distance.  LOL

2017-02-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

And now for something completely different   Any Manatee use an Instapot?  If so, just how swell is it and which one do you use? 

I got myself one for Christmas, 6 quart 7-in-1.  So far I've only made steel cut oats and yogurt (separate dishes, separate occasions for you smart alecks out there) in mine but I'm really looking forward to making more things in it.  I was very impressed with both things, although I think my yogurt making could use some refining.  (my actions, not the IP).  It was a total boss with the steel cut oats.  I swear I made something else...

2017-02-16 12:18 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by rrrunner

And now for something completely different   Any Manatee use an Instapot?  If so, just how swell is it and which one do you use? 

Yes, I have an Instant Pot, 6 qt me thinks. I like it.  I don't use it every day but it's a great tool to have. I also do the "Once a month meals" (though I do several mini sessions) and the combination with the IP and my slow cooker makes my weeknights less stressful.

For a moment I thought your slow cooker connected to the internet. 

Hell - refrigerators and stoves do.  Why not the slow cooker?  You could remotely start/stop it, review the internal temperature, make it beep, all kinds of cool stuff. 

As an added bonus, it would give hackers another opportunity to get into your wifi system and steal your identity. 

Actually, I think there is a bluetooth version!

Wifi enabled slow cooker.

We have a sous vide machine (Anova sous vide) that is wifi enabled and has an app to run it.  Has - and I can hardly believe I'm saying this - been useful a couple times when we've had something cooking and were delayed getting back to the house. 

btw, this is a super easy and really fun cooking method, for any foodies in the pod.  Makes some KILLER dishes...

Matt

2017-02-16 2:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

I LOVE my instant pot! I don't usually use it as a slow cooker but I have chili in it today. I love being able to go from frozen to cooked in under an hour!

I would love new ideas if anyone has cooked something especially wonderful in it
2017-02-16 2:08 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yes, I have an Instant Pot, 6 qt me thinks. I like it.  I don't use it every day but it's a great tool to have. I also do the "Once a month meals" (though I do several mini sessions) and the combination with the IP and my slow cooker makes my weeknights less stressful.

Hell - refrigerators and stoves do.  Why not the slow cooker?  You could remotely start/stop it, review the internal temperature, make it beep, all kinds of cool stuff. 

As an added bonus, it would give hackers another opportunity to get into your wifi system and steal your identity. 

Just wait until all of these things become self aware.  Can you imaging the havoc an evil slow-cooker could wreak?

It could be evil. Slow, but evil.

2017-02-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Just wait until all of these things become self aware.  Can you imaging the havoc an evil slow-cooker could wreak?

It could be evil. Slow, but evil.

Ha ha ha ha ha, good one!

2017-02-17 6:53 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

(in case I forget to check later or *gasp* actually go to bed at a reasonable hour AND manage to go to sleep, too)

And get well, all you sickies. There's a few of you out there! Warm healing Manatee {MELON PRESS}

2017-02-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne asked me to share this, I apologize for the lack of formatting and feel free to add in anyone I missed:

Racer List

February 18-19
McMatt - Austin Half Marathon on Sunday

DL

Mike - recovery from back surgery (include him here or not.  when I talked to him, he did not indicate a preference.)
Robin P - under the weather ??
Anne - under the weather << better as of Monday
Riley - under the weather

Welcome Raven! (<< Robin's puppy)
Congrats to Laura on her NEW BIKE!

2017-02-17 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Janyne asked me to share this, I apologize for the lack of formatting and feel free to add in anyone I missed:

Racer List

February 18-19

DL

Mike - recovery from back surgery (include him here or not.  when I talked to him, he did not indicate a preference.)

Even when she's tied up in training Janyne still manages to keep up with us all! Amazing!!

Go Matt Go! Have a great race!!

Feel better all the sick and injured Manatees and welcome to Raven!!

Congrats on the new bike Laura!

I think I've exceeded my daily allotment of exclamation points. 

2017-02-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

We have a sous vide machine (Anova sous vide) that is wifi enabled and has an app to run it.  Has - and I can hardly believe I'm saying this - been useful a couple times when we've had something cooking and were delayed getting back to the house. 

btw, this is a super easy and really fun cooking method, for any foodies in the pod.  Makes some KILLER dishes...

Matt

Very interesting. I even watched the video and still don't know what this thing is. I'm a sucker for both kitchen gadgets and tech, so I'm going to have to learn more. Odd they guy they picked for the video has a signature dish of quesadillas (which would seem difficult to do with this thing).
2017-02-17 10:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

GOOOOOOOOO McMatt!  Be fast, have fun!

Heal up, sickos! (said with love)

Robin, enjoy your weekend with Raven, soooo cute!

Laura, if you're reading this, enjoy that new bike this weekend, the weather is supposed to be great!

2017-02-17 11:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

So, Tapiriik users...I just signed up for the service to move only my TrainerRoad rides, the only workout type that doesn't already auto-load.  It's 'queuing' as we speak, and it has been for at least 20 minutes already.  Why is it taking so long? Does it always take this long?  I changed the setting so it doesn't look for any workouts that happened prior to yesterday and still it spins and spins and spins...  

2017-02-17 11:40 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt

Very interesting. I even watched the video and still don't know what this thing is. I'm a sucker for both kitchen gadgets and tech, so I'm going to have to learn more. Odd they guy they picked for the video has a signature dish of quesadillas (which would seem difficult to do with this thing).

Definitely a foodie thing, but an old technique.  French for "under vacuum."  Basically, we just put the food in a baggie and get all the air out, then clip it to the side of our large lobster pot and put the anova in and let it go (better even than a foreman grill - set it and forget it!).  These machines are the new (and improved) thing here, as we used to just use a water bath from the lab. 

We've used it for a bunch of different stuff.  Best use, so far, has been on meat.  Can cook to a perfect rare (or whatever done-ness you want), get nice and tender, then sear the outside on a super hot surface (either a searing burner on the grill or a big cast iron Dutch oven) to get a perfect mallaird (sp?) reaction but with a RED middle.  Some of the best meat we've ever made this way (from antelope to pork tenderloin to venison to beef to even chicken - across many cuts).

Takes some getting used to figure how long for different meats and different sizes (over-long with venison, even if kept rare, makes it so tender it loses it's meaty consistency is more like deer pudding - not recommended - but go long with a brisket roast and it comes out perfectly slow cooked and tender and then searable or smokable).

I think I'm going to try the soft boiled egg thing this weekend, as those are supposed to be out of this world.

Mmmmmmm... eggs.......

Matt

PS - Quesadillas? That's a tougher one to figure out how to use this for!
M

2017-02-17 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

So, Tapiriik users...I just signed up for the service to move only my TrainerRoad rides, the only workout type that doesn't already auto-load.  It's 'queuing' as we speak, and it has been for at least 20 minutes already.  Why is it taking so long? Does it always take this long?  I changed the setting so it doesn't look for any workouts that happened prior to yesterday and still it spins and spins and spins...  

Trying the same thing, and the same thing is happening.

Also, anyone know how to sign up for the $2 a year?  There seems to be no link to do so, unless I'm missing something obvious (would not be the first time)
M

2017-02-17 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Also, anyone know how to sign up for the $2 a year?  There seems to be no link to do so, unless I'm missing something obvious (would not be the first time)
M

Well, well... Asking the Google works again.  (It's under "Automatic Synchronization" rather than a pay here kind of link).

Once I found that and forked over SEVERAL of my hard earned fun-strips, the Queuing circle of death kept spinning - but it gave me a time to completion (58 minutes in this case, for synching my bike rides over the last two months to BT).  So, that's one point of comparison for you...

Matt

2017-02-17 4:43 PM

User image

Racer List

February 18-19

DL

New bike?? Did I miss the pics? Congrats and good luck to all the racers this weekend!

2017-02-17 5:56 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am, not surprisingly I guess, still sick. Major relapse at camp. I don't recommend riding herd on 60 kids 24/7 for three days as a flu treatment. Even worse idea than doing a race, because one has to talk and yell, and not really get any sleep. Going to break down and go to the clinic today and see if they can give me any more interesting drugs--the ones I have aren't doing much of anything. Can I log coughing as a workout??
2017-02-18 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

M

Well, well... Asking the Google works again.  (It's under "Automatic Synchronization" rather than a pay here kind of link).

Once I found that and forked over SEVERAL of my hard earned fun-strips, the Queuing circle of death kept spinning - but it gave me a time to completion (58 minutes in this case, for synching my bike rides over the last two months to BT).  So, that's one point of comparison for you...

Matt

I manually import my TR rides - been doing it for years.  When you use the Tapriik thingy, what information comes over?  Just minutes and distance, or do you get the HR and power numbers, too?

2017-02-18 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
I did The Sufferfest's Rubber Glove to test my FTP and HR today. Last time I did it was in December. My FTP is +19 and HR -2 today. I'm happy with the results.I changed things up this year and have focused more on strength and less on endurance. My thinking is that if I can generate more power, when I start going longer again, I will also be faster.
2017-02-18 2:03 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I have been having a rough month so far. I haven't found the energy to run or go hard on my bike ride except a week ago. Then over the weekend I got sick, whole body just hurt, tired and dehydrated. Been sleeping a lot but somewhat restless. I definitely feel that my mind can do so much more than my body will allow, it's very tough going from a middle/front packer to a beginner. Also runnings been hard, barely have been thanks to a bum ankle that finally healed over the weekend....it has finally healed :D Now that I'm done venting I want to really need advice on starting over, Still very motivated and thankfully not taking it too hard but I'm mentally exhausted with this fatigue. I would love to try and find a solution to this so that I can properly begin exercising and not be hurting myself coming back

I don't know that I can offer meaningful help about starting over when you are exhausted with fatigue.  You need to figure out why you are so exhausted and work to correct that.  Once you are feeling better it's pretty straight forward, jump back in with a slow build.  If you have trouble training alone, find a running group, masters swim group and or bike club.    I also find having a race to target helps keep me on track.

Good luck and feel better!

I've definitely been getting my diet a lot better over the past year. I'm coming with a strategy to increase the my run intervals roughly 10% a week, 20-40s walking, until I'm walking only every other mile by June. Also increasing my long runs & bikes 10% every other week so I'm hitting a 10 mile run and bike ride just before my taper in August

I always suggest it due to my personal experience - but if you already know the sources of your fatigue then this may not matter but i've had very low vitamin B12 levels (even though i eat meat) before as well as borderline Iron levels. So for me, if i am experiencing normal training levels, life stress as well then it is time to get checked out. It seems to be particular to when i am in heavy training. 

anyway, it may not be your issue but something to think about. 

Wouldn't hurt to go to your doctor and get some baseline blood work done.  I have to do it every year to qualify for health care incentives for my company, and it's always reassuring to know everything's where it's supposed to be. 

Or you can identify an issue that can be easily resolved.  about 15 years ago, my wife was suffering from this bizarre weight gain - she was working out like 7 hours/week and eating normally but had gained like 50 pounds.  Turned out she had hypothryoidism (or hyper..I get them mixed up).  Daily synthroid and she lost that weight in about 3 months.  Funny thing is that she did her first triathlon at her peak weight, and is still her PR at the sprint distance.  LOL

It has turned out to be a diet and intensity type issue. I really need to eat more protein and go easy on all my runs. Been running a lot since wednesday and I've been feeling really good. I found my sisters vegan protein powder I mix into my coconut water and eating some more meat and now I'm starting to feel better
2017-02-19 8:18 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by JBacarella I did The Sufferfest's Rubber Glove to test my FTP and HR today. Last time I did it was in December. My FTP is +19 and HR -2 today. I'm happy with the results.I changed things up this year and have focused more on strength and less on endurance. My thinking is that if I can generate more power, when I start going longer again, I will also be faster.

That's great progress in 2 months - congratulations!

2017-02-19 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Details of my semi-triumphant return to activity are in my blog for anyone that's interested.  Cliff Notes version :

15 bike, 12 min TM walk, 5 reps of stairs, pathetic attempt at stretching, floated in the pool, got roped into a political conversation in the sauna (WTF???).  Then jacked up my back trying to get out the car.  LOL

I feel pretty good today, though my left leg muscles are doing their old "not firing right so my knee hurts" thing.  Been there, so I know what to do. 

It's supposed to be 70* here today, so we're going to walk around Fells Point in B-more for a bit.  Happy Sunday!

2017-02-19 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Details of my semi-triumphant return to activity are in my blog for anyone that's interested.  Cliff Notes version :

15 bike, 12 min TM walk, 5 reps of stairs, pathetic attempt at stretching, floated in the pool, got roped into a political conversation in the sauna (WTF???).  Then jacked up my back trying to get out the car.  LOL

I feel pretty good today, though my left leg muscles are doing their old "not firing right so my knee hurts" thing.  Been there, so I know what to do. 

It's supposed to be 70* here today, so we're going to walk around Fells Point in B-more for a bit.  Happy Sunday!

Cars are dangerous Hope you are better and enjoying the weather.

2017-02-19 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

welcome back to activity!! 

2017-02-19 9:36 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
gggrrrrrr having the auditors here is seriously impinging on my BT time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102