General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-11 10:55 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Possible Injury
I was executing the race I wanted, a 40-minute swim, 3:05 bike (I went super easy so that I could finish strong on the run) and hit the half way point of a very hilly run course in 1:05. At that pace, which felt comfortable given the grassy surface and shade, I would have PR's my other HIM run time by 15 minutes! But then on about mile 8-9, my left achilles tendon starting tightening up each time my heel struck the ground. I tried walking and running alternately, but the tightening kept happening earlier and earlier in the run interval. Rather than seriously injure myslef for IM Florida, I walked the last 3 mile finishing with a 2:36 run.

I immediately went home and iced my legs and achilles tendon. I don't (and didn't while at the race) have any pain or tightening while walking. What should I do

2006-09-11 11:03 PM
in reply to: #537285

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Possible Injury

How does it feel a day after? How does it feel tomorrow?

If it doesn't feel better soon, get to a Dr.

2006-09-12 5:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
Bravo for icing right away, you prevented an inflammatory response from getting worse. Don't know what it is without seeing you but hopefully it is simply a muscle strain, perhaps some tightness in the Achilles. First: stretch that Achilles/calf, 10-20 seconds 1-2 times, once an hour. Don't force it, just to the point that you feel a slight pulling sensation. More is not better in this case, you will get the stretch by spreading so many throughout the day. Second: look at your shoes. Are they severely worn? you might need arch supports in your future. Third: take it easy running the next few weeks. Fourth: if it is not getting better in 3 weeks go see someone. Sometimes a forum member can give the correct answer to a problem but nothing compares to seeing the problem in the flesh. I can tell you from working with many torn Achilles tendons, you do not want this to get worse. But we'll be optimistic now and treat it like an overuse injury. If you find it getting better add resisted calf raises to your program but never forget to stretch.
2006-09-12 7:21 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks for the replies... actually, this was my last race in my sneakers. I had a new pair but hadn't even worn them on a real run yet. I toyed with the idea of running in them, but decided on my old sneakers for one last run... let's hope it really isn't that last run!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Injury Rss Feed