General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mental training rollercoaster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-13 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Subject: The mental training rollercoaster

Is there something wrong, or have I just met a standard issue post-race thang!?

I did my first tri on Sunday, only a mini-sprint, but now I've done one. I took 2 days off from training, and went out tonight to do my 'middle' run, which is about 4.8km-ish.

I was rubbish! I had dead legs, and a pounding head, and was tooooo tiiiiiired. I ran most of the way, thought I was going really fast, but had to stop and walk a couple of times for a few metres, and then run on again. When I got home, it had taken me the same length of time that it usually does, despite feeling like I was really hammering it speedwise.

Is this normal, or have I invented a unique, new, frustrating post-race let-down training failure?

In any case, my mental health has not been compromised here; I trained, all is well. But, it did annoy me, cos I'd rather hoped that my enthusiasm for it all was going to bring me a PB time tonight...

Heeeeeeeelp, oh experienced ones!

2006-09-13 2:50 PM
in reply to: #539894

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: The mental training rollercoaster

Ok- even though you took 2 days off, you might need a little more time.  Even though it was a mini sprint, if you pushed yourself hard enough you still might need a little more recovery time.  Taking it easy for a week isn't all that bad of a thing.  Remember that your muscle need rest in order to recover and get stronger.  And...after starting back up after a race, make sure to ease into it by doing some easier workouts in the beginning.  Don't expect to PR on a run and defintiely avoid track workouts or tempo runs.  Do a few recovery workouts until you know you're ready to jump back into it.

Also something to remember- not all your workouts are going to be awesome.  They might be awesome, good, ok, kinda bad, or REALLY bad.  Sometimes there's a reason behind it, other times you just can't figure it out.  Don't let one bad workout spoil your mental game.  Just suck it up and start fresh the next day.  Remember that one bad workout doesn't dictate every workout.

And to answer your question- yes, we all have some really bad workouts so no need to worry

And congrats on completing your fist tri!

2006-09-13 2:51 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Did you train for post-race letdown?  Nope.  It's one of the few things you can't prepare for.  All you can do is roll with it and know that you will bounce back.  It's standard, and the bigger the race (not necessarily longer, but the more important to  you) the bigger the post race lag can be.  It's like being sick.  Even though you feel like crap, just know that soon things will be back to normal. 

This is a good time to go buy yourself something tri-related.  That usually helps. 

2006-09-13 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
Congratulations on finishing your race. Be nice to yourself! The main thing is that you completed your training- don't worry about your time, your body is still recovering from your race. Post-race slump is entirely natural. I've found the best way to overcome it is to complete my training distances but not concern myself with speed and time until I know I have fully recovered from a race (generally about a week, but depends on the type).

Good luck, and keep enjoying your training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mental training rollercoaster Rss Feed