Other Resources The Political Joe » NAFTA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-23 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: NAFTA
It looks like NAFTA is going to fall apart.

Perhaps bi national agreements between Canada, America and Mexico are the new thing? I don't know what the future holds.

The Conservatives lost government back in the 80's over free trade deals. The Media basically lampooned them along with Unions and social lobbyists. 30 years later...it was the best thing that ever happened. We got a winning deal with NAFTA, and so many other deals with foreign countries.

http://torontosun.com/news/national/liberals-reject-criticism-over-...

What is the sense on the American side? Bad deal? Good one?

2018-01-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: NAFTA

Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn It looks like NAFTA is going to fall apart. Perhaps bi national agreements between Canada, America and Mexico are the new thing? I don't know what the future holds. The Conservatives lost government back in the 80's over free trade deals. The Media basically lampooned them along with Unions and social lobbyists. 30 years later...it was the best thing that ever happened. We got a winning deal with NAFTA, and so many other deals with foreign countries. http://torontosun.com/news/national/liberals-reject-criticism-over-... What is the sense on the American side? Bad deal? Good one?

I admittedly don't know all the details so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I think the major issue is the direction and quantities of things flowing.  Basically are we buying and selling equally to mutually benefit everyone?  What seems to have happened is the US has increasingly increased our taxes and expenses in general to the point that it was more cost effective for companies to move to Mexico or Canada to manufacture and produce goods.  Then these goods would come to the US without penalty.  So basically "US produced" goods weren't being produced in the US.  This then threw the balance way out of whack.  Trump did a great thing by lowering the corporate tax rate to entice these companies to come back, but I believe the idea with re-negotiating (or whacking) NAFTA is to prevent companies from doing things like this again in the future.  US workers were the ones that got hosed the worse by all these companies moving production internationally.

2018-01-23 4:08 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn It looks like NAFTA is going to fall apart. Perhaps bi national agreements between Canada, America and Mexico are the new thing? I don't know what the future holds. The Conservatives lost government back in the 80's over free trade deals. The Media basically lampooned them along with Unions and social lobbyists. 30 years later...it was the best thing that ever happened. We got a winning deal with NAFTA, and so many other deals with foreign countries. http://torontosun.com/news/national/liberals-reject-criticism-over-... What is the sense on the American side? Bad deal? Good one?

I admittedly don't know all the details so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I think the major issue is the direction and quantities of things flowing.  Basically are we buying and selling equally to mutually benefit everyone?  What seems to have happened is the US has increasingly increased our taxes and expenses in general to the point that it was more cost effective for companies to move to Mexico or Canada to manufacture and produce goods.  Then these goods would come to the US without penalty.  So basically "US produced" goods weren't being produced in the US.  This then threw the balance way out of whack.  Trump did a great thing by lowering the corporate tax rate to entice these companies to come back, but I believe the idea with re-negotiating (or whacking) NAFTA is to prevent companies from doing things like this again in the future.  US workers were the ones that got hosed the worse by all these companies moving production internationally.

I think it had more to do with the flow of jobs to cheaper labor markets, but taxation *might* have played some role. The principal beef is the imbalance between the US and Mexico. In 2016 we had a $12.1B trade deficit with Canada. Essentially break even if you weren't selling us that dirty tar sands cr@p you got. US manufacturers are not moving many jobs to Canada because you guys do not have cheap labor markets. On the other hand, our trade imbalance with Mexico is like $63B. A huge target for Trump to blast. Canadian/US trade is uber solid and Trump would be a dope to start screwing with that, but Mexico...a different story.
2018-01-24 7:04 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
I still remember Ross Perot talking about a 'loud sucking sound' as US jobs moved south of the border. Remember Ross....he is the one who got Bill Clinton elected....

I don't know enough about NAFTA to opine.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » NAFTA Rss Feed