Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2018-02-21 10:41 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: NRA
WASHINGTON (AP) — As a grieving Florida community demanded action on guns, President Donald Trump on Tuesday directed the Justice Department to move to ban devices like the rapid-fire bump stocks used in last year’s Las Vegas massacre. It was a small sign of movement on the gun violence issue that has long tied Washington in knots.

Stable Genius at work.....

2018-02-21 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Left Brain

The fat guy in the video likely has NO device on his pistol.  It appears he has his big fat left finger stuffed in the trigger guard and is simply using the inertia of the recoil to get a high rate of fire from a semi-auto pistol.  Easy stuff.

Agreed. From another video of the same guy, it actually looks like he's holding a rod or stick in there instead of his finger. But it shows the general concept of using the energy of the recoil to bump the gun forward into you finger instead of having to individually pull the trigger for each shot, and how much faster it can be. Plus, the fat guy video makes me laugh. 

Also, the video clearly shows why we need a nationwide ban on fat guys owning sticks and glocks. 

2018-02-21 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Yeah, not being a deer hunter I wasn't sure about the .223. My dad used a 30-06, but he was old school anyways. The woods are the LAST place I go during rifle season for deer, I do not have a death wish. Turkey hunting gets a little sporty sometimes but better chance of surviving #2 shot at 100 yards than a steel-jacketed bullet.
2018-02-21 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Oysterboy I have heard such BS around the gun issue in the last few days it makes me want to pull Lefty's hair out. The ban the AR-15 argument is ludicrous. How many of these things are out there now? And I do know people that use them for hunting. I heard another one that pled for us to outlaw semi-automatics. Jeez, we're supposed to go back to bolt action? Might as well make everything a muzzle loader then (remember, this was the only firearm around when the 2nd amendment was drafted). Besides, I need at least 2 shells to wing a duck. The best was to outlaw AR-15 ammo. This thing has been chambered in almost every available caliber, the predominant one is Rem .223. How many hunting rifles are chambered in Rem .223, my guess this is the predominant hunting round for deer in the USA? There are some things that can be done, bump stocks are a no-brainer. We need to ask why people need 30 round magazines, the majority of hunters I know would be good with 5, most need only 1 bullet. My semi-auto scatter guns are limited to 3 for hunting. Honestly, only Scarface needs more than 5 for home defense. We need to get serious about background checks and I don't think that requiring classes is a bad idea, education never hurt anyone. I am glad to see this country starting to take some notice of this issue. Took some pissed off high schoolers to force the issue, nice to see them take some time away from their smartphones. Civic engagement is a good thing.

Nothing here that I don't agree with.  And yeah, I really can't even listen to the "gun experts" on the news shows.....just a bunch of idiots wanting a payday.  My favorite was the morning of the Vegas shooting and virtually every single one of them called "full-auto weapon" when it was perfectly obvious it was bump fire.

I'm not sure if the .223 round is the predominant hunting round or not.  Just the guys I know who use an AR platform rifle to hunt with have mostly gone to .300 blackout or .308.  That .223 round isn't much of a deer round......but then, the woods are just a good place to stay away from in general during deer season.....so yeah, there could be a lot more folks hunting with .223 than I think. (dumbarses)

It'll be interesting to see where this goes......but I'm afraid I don't have much confidence in anything meaningful being done.

• 223 round is good for vermin hunting....coyotes are an issue everywhere. The do tend to keep the feral cat population down. But when one got our cat I went ballistic....literally. My neighbor's house back up to a creek with about 50 yds of woods between his back porch and the creek. They have 3 small boys....so when they recently started seeing 'yotes, they went hunting and killed several.

• 2018-02-21 10:47 AM
    in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio WASHINGTON (AP) — As a grieving Florida community demanded action on guns, President Donald Trump on Tuesday directed the Justice Department to move to ban devices like the rapid-fire bump stocks used in last year’s Las Vegas massacre. It was a small sign of movement on the gun violence issue that has long tied Washington in knots. Stable Genius at work.....

Looks like it may end up being only Bill Clinton and Donal Trump to get any new legislation on smokepoles in place.....fitting. 

2018-02-21 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh

Originally posted by Rogillio WASHINGTON (AP) — As a grieving Florida community demanded action on guns, President Donald Trump on Tuesday directed the Justice Department to move to ban devices like the rapid-fire bump stocks used in last year’s Las Vegas massacre. It was a small sign of movement on the gun violence issue that has long tied Washington in knots. Stable Genius at work.....

Looks like it may end up being only Bill Clinton and Donal Trump to get any new legislation on smokepoles in place.....fitting. 

I wouldn't exactly say that prohibiting bump stocks is a profile in courage, I think that even the NRA left that one on the table after Las Vegas. But I am hopeful that we can get something meaningful done. Trump is in the right place at the right time.

2018-02-21 10:55 AM
    in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy

I wouldn't exactly say that prohibiting bump stocks is a profile in courage, I think that even the NRA left that one on the table after Las Vegas. But I am hopeful that we can get something meaningful done. Trump is in the right place at the right time.

I bet he goes a bit further.  I see age and background checks as a place he is willing to move on....he's not stupid....this is an opportunity.

2018-02-21 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
    Alabama

I bet he goes a bit further.  I see age and background checks as a place he is willing to move on....he's not stupid....this is an opportunity.

Don't tell that to the left/MSM. They have underestimated him since the day he has announced his candidacy.
    2018-02-21 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh
    Originally posted by Rogillio

Don't tell that to the left/MSM. They have underestimated him since the day he has announced his candidacy.

No, this one will be determined by Trump's base, not the MSM and not the kids from Parkland. The base will need to bend here, it's in y'alls court...
    2018-02-21 2:50 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

No, this one will be determined by Trump's base, not the MSM and not the kids from Parkland. The base will need to bend here, it's in y'alls court...

Trump won't lose any votes over this, but he will likely gain some and his approval rating will climb.......and the gnashing of teeth will get louder. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-21 2:51 PM
    2018-02-21 4:28 PM
    in reply to: #5238165

User image

Expert
    Floriduh
    If he does nothing it will likely feed the growing narrative that he is the leader of a feckless and indecisive government. Ball is in his court

2018-02-21 4:37 PM
    in reply to: #5238444

User image

Expert
    Floriduh
    Also, not sure if there are many votes to be won or lost at this point, I think everyone knows where they stand in respect to the President. I think we are talking about turnout at this time
    2018-02-21 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
    Tejas

If he does nothing it will likely feed the growing narrative that he is the leader of a feckless and indecisive government. Ball is in his court

Growing narrative, bingo. Narrative.
    2018-02-21 5:22 PM
    in reply to: #5238446

User image

Expert
    Floriduh
    Dog, narrative does not denote either fact or fiction. And you want to argue this is a govt of great and decisive action?
    2018-02-21 6:07 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy Dog, narrative does not denote either fact or fiction. And you want to argue this is a govt of great and decisive action?

When was the last time we had THAT?  Obama?? HAHAHAHAHA!!

He told the Russians to "cut it out".  

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-21 6:07 PM
    2018-02-21 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh

Originally posted by Oysterboy Dog, narrative does not denote either fact or fiction. And you want to argue this is a govt of great and decisive action?

When was the last time we had THAT?  Obama?? HAHAHAHAHA!!

He told the Russians to "cut it out".  

Eisenhower?

2018-02-21 6:29 PM

User image

Pro
    Tejas

Dog, narrative does not denote either fact or fiction. And you want to argue this is a govt of great and decisive action?

We agree that our govt is hopelessly deadlocked. Who is to blame for that? Both sides use means to undo the actions of the other party. The narrative is that it's because Trump is such a divisive figure. When obama was being an equally divisive figure, the narrative was that the republicans were boogerheads and racists.

Doesn't matter anyhow because Trump stepped into the trap and it was sprung. He is quoted as saying he's "going to get it done." The next shooting will be tied around his neck in a nice neat bow. He can come out tomorrow with full republican backing and outlaw the infamous 'black gun' , high cap. magazines and bump stocks( don't shiite yourselves, hypothetical here). The democrats will dig in their heels and refuse to vote along with him. They'll change the target and the media will play the new narrative that Trump isn't serious about getting it done. Lose / lose, for everyone. Gun control is their platform for the next election cycle, making certain Trump fails to accomplish anything on that front is guaranteed.
    2018-02-21 8:41 PM
    in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
    Floriduh
    Originally posted by mdg2003

We agree that our govt is hopelessly deadlocked. Who is to blame for that? Both sides use means to undo the actions of the other party. The narrative is that it's because Trump is such a divisive figure. When obama was being an equally divisive figure, the narrative was that the republicans were boogerheads and racists.

Doesn't matter anyhow because Trump stepped into the trap and it was sprung. He is quoted as saying he's "going to get it done." The next shooting will be tied around his neck in a nice neat bow. He can come out tomorrow with full republican backing and outlaw the infamous 'black gun' , high cap. magazines and bump stocks( don't shiite yourselves, hypothetical here). The democrats will dig in their heels and refuse to vote along with him. They'll change the target and the media will play the new narrative that Trump isn't serious about getting it done. Lose / lose, for everyone. Gun control is their platform for the next election cycle, making certain Trump fails to accomplish anything on that front is guaranteed.

Jeez, even I am not that cynical. If some meaningful legislation is brought forward by Trump and the republicans (yes, hypothetically) and the dems oppose it they will get crucified by their home states. Perhaps not so much for the ones from the midwest or west, but the dems from the coasts are from states that, generally, have laws that are much tougher than whatever the fed is likely to propose. These states have problems with firearms coming in from other states and they recognize this. The lefties can also be primaried from the left. There are other issues that your argument could apply to, that I will concede. but this isn't one.
    2018-02-22 1:14 AM

User image

Pro
    Tejas

Jeez, even I am not that cynical. If some meaningful legislation is brought forward by Trump and the republicans (yes, hypothetically) and the dems oppose it they will get crucified by their home states. Perhaps not so much for the ones from the midwest or west, but the dems from the coasts are from states that, generally, have laws that are much tougher than whatever the fed is likely to propose. These states have problems with firearms coming in from other states and they recognize this. The lefties can also be primaried from the left. There are other issues that your argument could apply to, that I will concede. but this isn't one.

I hope you're right.
    2018-02-22 5:57 AM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh

I hope you're right.

...and I hope you are right about Trump feeling some ownership over this issue now.
    2018-02-22 6:09 AM

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    TV on in break room this morning and I heard Joe Scarborough saying he supports the 2nd amendment and supports the right to carry and thinks signs that say "Gun Free Zones" are stupid and is an invitation to come and kill people. He said he probably just ticked off 90% of his viewers. LOL Probably so, it's the first conservative thing I've heard him say in a long time.

2018-02-22 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh

TV on in break room this morning and I heard Joe Scarborough saying he supports the 2nd amendment and supports the right to carry and thinks signs that say "Gun Free Zones" are stupid and is an invitation to come and kill people. He said he probably just ticked off 90% of his viewers. LOL Probably so, it's the first conservative thing I've heard him say in a long time.

I agree, this time feels different. Let's pray it is. (OK, as an agnostic that has little meaning coming from me, but you get the idea).
    2018-02-22 11:33 AM

User image

Pro
    Tejas

I hope you're right.

• ..and I hope you are right about Trump feeling some ownership over this issue now.

• Oh, he owns it now. His feet will be held to the fire by the media and I honestly don't see a viable win for the administration. This will also be a test of how serious the democrats are about finding a bi-partisan solution to the problem. No matter how they act, I do not expect the media, other than Fox, to report on such antics. Trump took the cheese and the trap has been sprung and the democrats hold the cards.

I think he can put in a lot more sensible restrictions without pizzing off the 2A people in his base. Contrary to what the narrative dictates about NRA members, they aren't the lunatic fringe the media portrays them to be. The AR platform could be scaled back to a 5 round magazine. Initial complaints will be numerous, but accepted by law abiding members of the NRA. Making higher capacity mags illegal won't make them go away and the next guy that goes on a shoot will ignore the new laws anyway. He's ignoring the laws against murder already, what's an additional weapons charge going to matter?
    2018-02-22 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
    Tejas

So wait a minute…Scarborough is a closet gun guy? Somewhere in hell, it's snowing.
    2018-02-22 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh

I hope you're right.

• ..and I hope you are right about Trump feeling some ownership over this issue now.

• Oh, he owns it now. His feet will be held to the fire by the media and I honestly don't see a viable win for the administration. This will also be a test of how serious the democrats are about finding a bi-partisan solution to the problem. No matter how they act, I do not expect the media, other than Fox, to report on such antics. Trump took the cheese and the trap has been sprung and the democrats hold the cards.

I think he can put in a lot more sensible restrictions without pizzing off the 2A people in his base. Contrary to what the narrative dictates about NRA members, they aren't the lunatic fringe the media portrays them to be. The AR platform could be scaled back to a 5 round magazine. Initial complaints will be numerous, but accepted by law abiding members of the NRA. Making higher capacity mags illegal won't make them go away and the next guy that goes on a shoot will ignore the new laws anyway. He's ignoring the laws against murder already, what's an additional weapons charge going to matter?

Ya know, I'm gonna push back a bit against the MSM labeling all NRA members as the lunatic fringe. I just don't hear that. Of course the NRA, just like the MSM and every other organization has a lunatic fringe (even BT - sorry Rog), but I consistently hear the MSM use the term "law-abiding citizen" when describing rank and file NRA members.
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » NRA Rss Feed  

of 3