General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My advice for Danskin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-15 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: My advice for Danskin

So I did the Danskin race from 2003-2005, all 3 previous races.  I'm not racing this year due to it selling out (it never sold out before and up to 2004 at least they were taking registrations on Saturday).  So I'll be a swim angel and then cheering on everyone afterwards.

As far as my own personal advice this weekend, it's going to be kind of long.  For tomorrow's expo, please, please try to avoid the mess that is around NJ Rts 33 between Rts 35 and 71 as well as the stretch on 71 north from by Ocean Grove to the Asbury border due to a mess of a construction project (this should affect very few of you).  Once in Asbury (Park), the whole area by the oceanfront is a complete mess, due to all the construction that is going on as part of the rebirth of Asbury Park.   As a said before, Asbury isn't the nicest of areas and please make sure to lock up your bikes especially if they are outside your cars as well as your cars.  If you are staying at that hotel, I would highly recommend that you not walk outside by yourself when it is dark outside.  That part of Asbury isn't so bad, but it isn't worth it to be by yourself when it is dark.

After you do the expo thing, I would highly recommend that you drive to Sandy Hook and see the park.  You won't be able to get to the transition area and swim start/finish area as it's on the Coast Guard base, but still try to find them. You'll want to go past officer's row, staying by the bay.  You may want to stop by the visitor's center (old lifesaving station) to get a map of the park, especially if friends/family will be arriving after you on race day morning, though certainly supplies are limited.  I did not send you there  

After you get done with that, you may want to travel north on 36 through Highlands to Mount Mitchell which is a county park that is at the highest point on the Eastern Seaboard south of Maine-if it isn't foggy there are incredible views of Sandy Hook, Brooklyn, the Verrazano Bridge, and lower Manhattan though the park is usually closed at night.  Take 36  north and there will be a turnoff by an ice cream place, just before Stewart's and a convenience store.  Just follow the signs.  If you pass it, you can cut through the shopping plaza that has a CVS? and a post office.

As far as race day morning get there early!  Repeat get there early!  Regardless of what mapquest and the like might say, figure it will take at least 15-20 minutes from the time you enter the park to the time you park.   Then you have to walk to the transition area, which is another 5-10 minutes perhaps depending on where they make you park.  The past 2 years, there have then been long line to get into the Coast Guard base (the entrance should be by the cannon right near officer's row) as they had to check off everyone's name and possibly wanted to see a race number- you need to confirm that tomorrow and that has taken a while in the past.  Then find a slot on the row for your race number and get set up.  You may want to get on the massive line for the porta potties at this time as it will only get worse.  For the swim, they will probably have more than one wave of certain colors so don't get too caught up in just the color.  And when they call your wave please make sure to go over the timing mat when they call your name as if you don't you won't have any times. 

When your wave gets to go into the water for the start, get your body into the water at least to your neck.  It's probably like waist-high but you need to get your entire body used to the water ahead of time.  It should be low 70s and you don't need a wetsuit if you don't have one, but you still need to get used to the water temperature.  The course is basically an out and back.  Just follow the banners in as your guide when you come back in.  The water should be pretty calm.  If you need to grab onto something to take a break, us swim angels will be there as well as the lifeguards. 

When you get out of the water, it is a couple hundred yards or so run to the transition area.  From what I remember it was maybe a bit rough (like some rocks or something) but nothing too bad.  I've ran through much worse.  You will then get on the bike.  Watch the bike exit by the gate as the pavement is rough there (they want to stop terrorists from attacking the base I guess).  The course is basically flat.  There are a couple of short easy inclines that maybe go up 5 feet or so, but most of you probably won't see them.  There is usually a lot of wind on the course, especially towards the park entrance as Sandy Hook isn't very wide there.  There are some great views out that way- be sure to take a look.  The past 3 years, the wind has been such that you have had a tailwind going out to the park entrance, making the first half fast and then headed into some tough headwinds coming back.  It is also possibly that the wind direction could be reversed or there could be a sidewind or little wind at all since I'm not racing.  So just be prepared and don't get too excited or too disappointed with the first half of your split time as things can change a lot. 

That being said, on the way back, once the divided road comes together again heading back to Fort Hancock (when you drive the course on Saturday as you need to do, you'll see what I mean) there are about 3 short, not very steep climbs maybe like 5 feet max- nothing to be concerned about and you may not even notice them.  But these parts (and there is a least one slight decent after at least one of them) are places where you can pass people who are not as familiar with the course.  This is why you need to drive the course and possibly ride the first couple miles or so of the bike course to see what I mean.   I took full advantage of this area last year and was able to pass people because of that 

The run course is flat but mostly in the sun and it may be a bit warm.  You will want some wind here.  You should go by the lighthouse which started operating in like 1764 and is the oldest continuously operated lighthouse in the US.  You will finish in the middle of Fort Hancock. 

If I could have your race numbers and wave # after you get them tomorrow or at least your real names if those aren't on your profiles and I don't already know your real name(you can send me a PM if you are concerned about privacy) before I leave for the expo tomorrow (by like 11 AM maybe) so I can look that information up. 

I just want to know who I especially have to cheer for on Sunday at the finish line and out on the course.  I'll have my camera with me and may even make up a poster if I get a chance.  My last real tri of the season was last weekend's half Ironman  (3 years ago I couldn't run more than like 3 minutes at a time and this year I completed my first marathon and my first 2 half Ironmans and signed up for my first Ironman for 2007 so you all can be where I am today in not that long of a time)   so it's going to drive me nuts not racing so I need to do something to keep me busy during the race.

Good luck everyone!  Make BT proud.  Just don't quit during the race; focus on finishing as that will be the victory for just about all of you on Sunday!  If you have any questions, just let me know.

2006-09-18 6:49 PM
in reply to: #543135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: My advice for Danskin

Yay everybody!!  I've been reading all the race reports, and it sounds like we all had a fantastic race!!  We worked hard, we all finished, and we are all TRIATHLETES now!   Go us, I'm so proud - and I'm so thankful for all of you and the support I've gotten (and seen) on these boards since I joined.  It's such an inspiration to "e-train" with all of you, and I hope we can keep doing it for as long as it stays fun!

Does anyone know what the deal is with race photos?  I know there was a camera in my face at every turn, on every chip mat, all along the course and at the end (I nearly creamed the guy with the huuuge camera, after I gave Sally a Hi-5 at the finish line, he was trying to get a close-up of my race number or something and I hadn't quite slowed down enough yet...)  I didn't see anywhere you could get them right there (like the race was a ride at 6 Flags or something...) but I don't see any links on the Danskin page either.  Any ideas?

Good job, everyone!!

~Christine

2006-09-19 6:46 PM
in reply to: #545114

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
today i went back to the danskin site and if you go to the race home page there is a link to see pictures. since our race was so recent, they're not up yet, but you can submit your email to be notified when they are.
http://www.danskin.com/triathlon.html
or try
http://www.brightroom.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=12821
2006-09-20 5:00 PM
in reply to: #543135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome, thank you!!!   Can't wait to see my TRI-face
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My advice for Danskin Rss Feed