Other Resources The Political Joe » It's not jerky.....but still.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-12 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: It's not jerky.....but still..

Last night I pulled up the last of a second radish crop this Spring.  It was a bit warm for radishes the second time around so they didn't get quite as big and round as I enjoy them.  I decided to try roasting them with some fresh rosemary, also from my garden, salt and pepper, and olive oil.  Then I cooked down the greens from the radish tops and ate them along with the radishes and some grilled chicken.  Man, I'll be looking forward to roasted radish every year now.....it was delicious!

(raddish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
raddish.jpg (129KB - 0 downloads)

2018-06-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: It's not jerky.....but still..

Also.....in keeping with the political theme of this forum.....it's really hard to eat in my family with the country falling apart and all. LMAOOOOOO 

Edited by Left Brain 2018-06-12 10:24 AM
2018-06-12 10:26 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
In the 1950 my grandfather planted garlic at his camp on Bayou Louise in Louisiana. The camp went to my dad and eventually to my brother and I. About 1991 I dug up some of the garlic and planed it at our house. And every year we harvest a little garlic. We sold the camp years ago but I still feel an attachment to the camp every time I harvest garlic.

(IMG_2045.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2045.jpg (28KB - 0 downloads)
2018-06-12 10:27 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio In the 1950 my grandfather planted garlic at his camp on Bayou Louise in Louisiana. The camp went to my dad and eventually to my brother and I. About 1991 I dug up some of the garlic and planed it at our house. And every year we harvest a little garlic. We sold the camp years ago but I still feel an attachment to the camp every time I harvest garlic.

Isn't it hard to harvest with the country going down the drain thanks to Trump? 

Edited by Left Brain 2018-06-12 10:28 AM
2018-06-12 10:30 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Alabama
And in keeping with this off topic thread....I bought another boat last Friday. It's a 2013 Nitro bass boat with 150 hp Merc. It had 10.8 hrs on it. The guy didn't even put the registration stickers on the boat as it hadn't been out in 2 years. He had it serviced and listed in on FB market place. He listed for $24k. I offered $20k. He said he'd take $21. We made the deal! I took the boat to the river on Saturday. I hit 56.2 mph. At that speed the fish won't be able to get away from me!!

(IMG_2062.jpg)

(IMG_2066.jpg)

(IMG_2060.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2062.jpg (44KB - 0 downloads)
IMG_2066.jpg (43KB - 0 downloads)
IMG_2060.jpg (47KB - 0 downloads)
2018-06-12 10:37 AM

User image

Pro

Awesome find! 

I'm going to buy a new boat in the Spring....I plan to retire in a couple of years so this will be my last boat.  I'm struggling with used vs. new because a boat loses so much value just pulling it off the lot, but I really want what I want on this last boat so I may go new anyway. 

Besides, with the country falling apart, thanks to Trump, what difference will it make?

2018-06-12 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Awesome find! 

I'm going to buy a new boat in the Spring....I plan to retire in a couple of years so this will be my last boat.  I'm struggling with used vs. new because a boat loses so much value just pulling it off the lot, but I really want what I want on this last boat so I may go new anyway. 

Besides, with the country falling apart, thanks to Trump, what difference will it make?

I bought a 2000 Sea Ray fish/ski years ago brand new. I loved it and had no regrets buying it new. I sold it 10 years later for a fraction of what I'd paid for it.

18 months ago I bought a 2014 tri-toon boat with 150 hp Yamaha. I bought it for about $10k cheaper than it sold for 3 years prior. It looked 'like new' with just a few minor scratches.

All of our cars we bought new and would never buy a used car as they are so complex and you never know what someone has done to them or how they abused them. A boat is pretty simple. This boat is fiberglass and the fiberglass looks the same now as it did when she rolled off the assembly line. The motor, with only 10.8 hrs is just barely broken in. Seats and carpet are perfect but even if they weren't, it would be cheap to replace. The guy gave me the bill of sale showing he paid $35.5k for the boat in 2013. The sad thing is, he financed the boat and when I bought it, he still owed $5k on the note! So he paid, $35.5k plus interest, kept the boat 5 years, used the boat only 3 years and sold it at $14.5k loss! Ouch!

When we were at the bank I told the banker, "They say the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day the buys it and the day he sells it. You have two happy men in your office right now!"

Like you, I plan to retire in the near future and plan to do a lot more fishing. I decided it was important toy 'buy my toys' before I retire so as not to carry any debt into retirement.

BTW, if you buy new, suggest Jan/Feb as that tends to be when the big boat shows are held - at least around here anyway. If you decide to go with use, wait till just after the boat shows as the guys who bought new boats at the boat show will be selling their old boat. :-)

Edited by Rogillio 2018-06-12 11:07 AM
2018-06-12 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
RE Boats

I read something in the owners manual for my boat last night that I had not know. If the boat is swamped, she will float level. IOW, it won't sink! This is per federal law. I looked up the law found this:

"Outboard boats under 20 feet with over-2-horsepower engines, on the other hand, must float level, as defined by a specific set of regulations in the flotation section of U.S. Code Title 46."

I don't know what the rule was for my 2000 Sea Ray but she had an inboard/outboard with 3.0 motor. That boat would have sunk like a rock if it were ever swamped. I was messing around in it one time behind the swells of a huge barge on the river and nearly swapped us! It scared the crap out of me....as I knew she sink to the bottom if she were to be swamped. Never did that again.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind. Good to read the manual! My buddy said people will buy a $10 appliance and read the manual from cover to cover but they buy $50k automobile and never take the manual out of the plastic bag.
2018-06-12 12:13 PM

User image

Pro

I have probably owned 15-20 boats under 20 ft. in my life.  I have not been without a boat since I was 17 years old.  And yeah, I knew about the flotation.......but not from reading. LOL  I've been in 2 that swamped.....once in Canada and once on the Mississippi River in December....we'd have died in that one if the boat didn't float and another group of duck hunters didn't happen by....way too cold to survive getting to shore.

Anyways.....like I said, I have a really good idea of all the equipment and setup that I want......I've been waiting a long time to have that boat I think about.  Since it's going to be my last, I'll likely spend what it takes. 

After all, it's a pretty good time to buy with the country going to chit, thanks to Trump. 

Edited by Left Brain 2018-06-12 12:14 PM
2018-06-12 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

I have probably owned 15-20 boats under 20 ft. in my life.  I have not been without a boat since I was 17 years old.  And yeah, I knew about the flotation.......but not from reading. LOL  I've been in 2 that swamped.....once in Canada and once on the Mississippi River in December....we'd have died in that one if the boat didn't float and another group of duck hunters didn't happen by....way too cold to survive getting to shore.

Anyways.....like I said, I have a really good idea of all the equipment and setup that I want......I've been waiting a long time to have that boat I think about.  Since it's going to be my last, I'll likely spend what it takes. 

After all, it's a pretty good time to buy with the country going to chit, thanks to Trump. 

Buddy of mine and I flipped a 14' aluminum jon boat the day after Thanksgiving many years ago. Water was about 50 degrees. We were in the middle of the Tennessee river about 1/4 of mile from the bank. We had big heavy coats on and rubber boots....and had been drinking all day. It was pitch dark and when I hit the water I began to sink with the boots and coat. We both nearly drowned. Fist thing I did was shed the coat....then pealed off the rubber boots. We turned the boat over and kinda laid across it and kicked and made it to shore. We were freezing and in the woods in BF Egypt. We walked thru the woods and then ended up in a cotton field. Ever walk thru cotton field stubble barefoot? My feet were freezing and bleeding by the time we crossed the field and eventually found a road that led to a gas station and I called my wife, "Baby, can you come pick me up!?" This is one of many times I'd had to call her.

Another boating tale comes to mind. I was 17 and me and a buddy of mine put a boat in the Dugdemona River/swamp with the intention of cruising thru the swamp and coming out in a nearby town. We put in about 10 am. We got lost! The water spread out so wide it was hard to sense a current to know which way was 'down stream'. We eventually made it to our destination right at dark. My buddy's mom had already call the sheriff's office and were just about to send out a search team.
2018-06-12 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio RE Boats I read something in the owners manual for my boat last night that I had not know. If the boat is swamped, she will float level. IOW, it won't sink! This is per federal law. I looked up the law found this: "Outboard boats under 20 feet with over-2-horsepower engines, on the other hand, must float level, as defined by a specific set of regulations in the flotation section of U.S. Code Title 46." I don't know what the rule was for my 2000 Sea Ray but she had an inboard/outboard with 3.0 motor. That boat would have sunk like a rock if it were ever swamped. I was messing around in it one time behind the swells of a huge barge on the river and nearly swapped us! It scared the crap out of me....as I knew she sink to the bottom if she were to be swamped. Never did that again. Anyway, just something to keep in mind. Good to read the manual! My buddy said people will buy a $10 appliance and read the manual from cover to cover but they buy $50k automobile and never take the manual out of the plastic bag.

Dad had a 1968? or 1970 North American 16' with a 120 Mercruiser I/O that had foam strategically placed in the bow and under the gunnels so it would float if swamped.  We never tested that capability.  

2018-06-12 4:38 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
Alabama
Another boating tale. I spent some time in the South Pacific on the island of Kwajalein. I studied and passed the boating exam to get my license so I could rent boats. It was a hard test and you had to know radio procedures and the names of the passes to get from inside the lagoon to the ocean side of the atoll. You also had to pass a driving test. During the test the examiner thru a life vest overboard and yelled, “Man overboard!” If you turned away from the vest, you failed immediately. You guys that know boating know this instinctively. Boats steer from the rear so it you turn away from the ‘man’ you throw the motor right into them turn into them, or to that side, and you move the motor away from them. I learned this as a kid pulling skiers. But I guess if you are not familiar with boats the inclination would be to turn away.
2018-06-13 7:40 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Must say, I've never heard of roasted radishes. I'm trying to grasp what that would even taste like. Intrigued, so I'll give them a go next time I come across a nice bundle of them.

Boats… I know enough about boats to know I'm best off avoiding them and have successfully done so since I was 17. I had a 12 foot john bait and 4 hp Chrysler. I almost died in the middle of lake Livingston over in east Texas. A squall kicked up and we were about as far from land as possible, drunk. My buddy who had never driven a boat was at the helm when the caca hit and it was so rough we couldn't swap places. He drove, I bailed water. No sooner than we got close enough to swim for it, the storm relented. My buddy goes to get his car to load the boat and poof, his engine dies. We had to get a friend and his Dad to drive all the way out to come get us. That was my last adventure in my own boat.
2018-06-13 11:53 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 Must say, I've never heard of roasted radishes. I'm trying to grasp what that would even taste like. Intrigued, so I'll give them a go next time I come across a nice bundle of them. 

The next time I do it I will not have any of the stalks on the greens, just the leaves. I found them to be too stringy.  Then again, a couple of my kids who don't normally love greens liked the stalks on there "because it gives the greens some texture".  The greens are really good, but it's a flavor unlike anything else.  I need to think about what I might want to do with them to cut down on some of the bitterness, or add another flavor (smother them down in a bit of bacon grease instead of olive oil??).......but for me, I like bitter.  The radishes themselves loose that hotness you would normally associate with a good radish, but they roast well, with a really good flavor and the same consistency of roasted potato.  The fresh rosemary was a great addition and really added to the flavor.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-06-13 11:54 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » It's not jerky.....but still.. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ham sammich pleads Not Guilty

Started by Rogillio
Views: 214 Posts: 1

2018-05-11 7:57 AM Rogillio

DNC Server NOT hacked!

Started by Rogillio
Views: 405 Posts: 3

2018-03-29 7:25 AM tuwood