Other Resources The Political Joe » How did you become an American? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-20 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: How did you become an American?
On my father's side, my great-great-etc-grandfather was a Spanish navel officer and (allegedly) jumped ship in New Orleans in 1783. He settled on a Spanish land grand in Feliciana Parish, Louisiana and founded Rogillioville, LA. The township is still on the books but there is nothing there now but an old church and cemetery with a bunch of dead Rogillio's. I am the 7th generation Rogillio. There are about 2,000 Rogillio households in the US today and we are all related as every one of us trace back to Policarpo Rogillio, the first Rogillio to settle in America.

On my mother's side, my grandfather came from Naples with his mother and his older brother in 1907. I searched the Ellis Island immigration documents and found the ship's manifest where my great-grandmother and her two sons made the voyage from Italy to Ellis Island, NY in 1907. My grandfather was 7 years old. I also found the ledger from when the processed thru Ellis Island. They did not speak English and had only $11.32 total money as recorded on the ledger. My great-grandfather was a merchant marine and had sent them on ahead of him. He later joined them and they settled in NJ. My grandfather quickly learned English and only spoke Italian to his father until his father passed away. After that he never spoke Italian again as he had become an American.

What are your origins?

Edited by Rogillio 2018-06-20 8:48 AM

2018-06-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: How did you become an American?

It's pretty long and convoluted, but one thing's for sure.....one of my sets of Great-Grandparents came through Ellis Island from Yugoslavia.  They came 3 years apart and their kids, including my Grandmother, came a couple years later.  Yeah, those kids were separated from their parents as they came here to make a better life.  OH....THE HORROR!!!  But they did it legally and responsibly......you know, like you're supposed to.

2018-06-20 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Dad's side of the family was Scotch-Irish (I like to tell people I'm a fifth scotch...ba-dum-pa).  Grandpa was born in the US in 1901 and died when I was 9.  Grandma was an orphan.  I'm guessing their families arrived in the 1880's.  

Mom's side of the family is Dutch/Pennsylvania Dutch.  Grandpa Overholt's ancestry has been traced back to Switzerland ~1600 and I think my boys are the 13th generation.  Somewhere in that ancestry, they ran a distillery in Pennsylvania, sold off during prohibition, but still producing "Old Overholt Rye Whiskey."  Elsewhere, Henry Clay Frick was part of the family, but somehow, those two fortunes never made it into my direct lineage (sigh).  Grandma was raised in New Jersey, and her mother or grandmother is the one who immigrated from Holland.  Grandpa's family immigrated in the early 1800's I think, Grandma's in the late 1800's.  

2018-06-20 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Mom's side, through Ellis from Scotland. Dad's side was two part story, one half from great purge of Acadians out of Canada. They came in through New Orleans. The other half of my Dad's side was already here when Columbus became the first illegal to breach the border back in 1492.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-06-20 10:47 AM
2018-06-20 11:07 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

Mom's side, through Ellis from Scotland. Dad's side was two part story, one half from great purge of Acadians out of Canada. They came in through New Orleans. The other half of my Dad's side was already here when Columbus became the first illegal to breach the border back in 1492.

Yeah, a lesson we should have learned from the American Indians is that you need a good immigration policy to control immigration and need to secure the borders or you will be overrun with immigrants!!
2018-06-20 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

Yeah, a lesson we should have learned from the American Indians is that you need a good immigration policy to control immigration and need to secure the borders or you will be overrun with immigrants!!

I was hoping you interlopers to catch that without sounding too… indignant. :0

2018-06-20 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I was hoping you interlopers to catch that without sounding too… indigenous . :0

Fixed that for ya.
2018-06-20 11:35 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I was hoping you interlopers to catch that without sounding too… indigenous . :0

Fixed that for ya.

You people. Took our land, took our food sources… now taking our words.
2018-06-20 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Fixed that for ya.

There is 3 cities in OK with the names of Broken Bow, Broken Arrow and Nowatta.

It is no wonder the Indians lost the battles with the US carvery, they had a broken bow, a broken arrow and no wata!

2018-06-20 2:13 PM

User image

Pro
One of my Grandpas, the Irish one, also has some Cherokee heritage... and then there's the English and German in addition to my Croation and Irish....and my kids got the benefit of their mom's Scottish and Northern Italian mix......they are probably the first generation in my family who are so mixed they don't identify with any particular heritage.....but claim any of it when needed.
2018-06-20 6:27 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Fixed that for ya.

There is 3 cities in OK with the names of Broken Bow, Broken Arrow and Nowatta.

It is no wonder the Indians lost the battles with the US carvery, they had a broken bow, a broken arrow and no wata!

<<<< Packing skinning knife for scalping mission in Alabammy.<<<<<

2018-06-21 6:15 PM

User image

I just got my DNA results back so this is fairly fresh.  My paternal relatives came from a town in Germany and my maternal relatives are from UK.  I was always under the impression I was German through and through.  Apparently I'm more British than German.

2018-06-22 6:21 AM
in reply to: Faerie66

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Faerie66

I just got my DNA results back so this is fairly fresh.  My paternal relatives came from a town in Germany and my maternal relatives are from UK.  I was always under the impression I was German through and through.  Apparently I'm more British than German.

Very cool. Just curious, how much did the DNA test cost? Do they send you a swab or something to spit on? How long did it take to get your results?
2018-06-22 8:38 AM

User image

I did mine through 23and me but my parents did theirs with Ancestry.com.  They are always offering specials.  I did mine for $60.  They send you a tube to spit in and it tells you that you have to have a certain amount of saliva.  You mail it in in a prepaid box and then wait.  It was pretty cool.  My siblings did it too and it didn't turn out how we thought it would!  I'm the one who looks the most like my paternal grandparents and they were from a small town in Germany named after them. My brother and sister look like the maternal grandparents.  My results came back with me having more of the British DNA than German and theirs was the opposite.  

2018-06-22 8:56 AM
in reply to: Faerie66

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Faerie66

I did mine through 23and me but my parents did theirs with Ancestry.com.  They are always offering specials.  I did mine for $60.  They send you a tube to spit in and it tells you that you have to have a certain amount of saliva.  You mail it in in a prepaid box and then wait.  It was pretty cool.  My siblings did it too and it didn't turn out how we thought it would!  I'm the one who looks the most like my paternal grandparents and they were from a small town in Germany named after them. My brother and sister look like the maternal grandparents.  My results came back with me having more of the British DNA than German and theirs was the opposite.  

Interesting. I would have thought siblings would be the same.Do they make any claims about the accuracy? Perhaps the difference in you and your siblings was within the margins of error? But I guess it could also mean that you got more of a particular gene than they did?
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » How did you become an American? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fair minded Americans

Started by Rogillio
Views: 255 Posts: 12

2018-04-06 8:44 PM Oysterboy

You're doing it wrong Tiger

Started by mdg2003
Views: 1001 Posts: 11

2017-08-21 8:00 AM mdg2003