General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extending a training schedule Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-22 4:49 PM

Chelsea, MI
Subject: Extending a training schedule
All of the training schedules I have found seem to be geared toward one race. Now that I've finished that one, I find myself feeling lost as to how to continue training for the rest of the season! I've got a mini-sprint race in 2 weeks, and I'm thinking about an oly in 9 weeks. I don't need to start over where I did in April, but after resting for the past two weeks after my race I don't feel good about diving back into the hard part of the training.

Any suggestions?

2004-07-22 5:50 PM
in reply to: #39691

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Extending a training schedule
You can extend out the sprint plan, adding the same percentages, using the same rest weeks, and such, and keep adding that way.

*or* find one of the olympic plans, and start a month or so into that, where you are comfortable.

If you are really strong in an area, you could bump it up a bit more than the plans on the site call for. Just listen to your body, and beware of overtraining.

I started on the sprint plan, but ramped it up past the 'recommended' times for the bike as I was already doing long bike rides. Now I'm in kind of a hybrid of extending the sprint plan and continuing that and the olympic plan.

After that, it's up to you what your next goal is. You don't have to keep inceasing the time, either, if you aren't going to be increasing your distances, if you want to sustain or gain speed at the distances you are currently working through.
2004-07-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #39691

Chelsea, MI
Subject: RE: Extending a training schedule
Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking I'll probably start up the same program I did for my last one about half way through. I wasn't very strict about doing the full distances, so maybe this time around I will be tougher on myself!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extending a training schedule Rss Feed