Other Resources The Political Joe » Main forum Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-07-08 9:32 AM

User image

Subject: Main forum
This is not political but I’ll post it here since this is the only forum I see people replying to stuff. I posted a thread a year or so ago about the main forum being dead. A lot of people disputed it with a variety of reasons. Now granted a spammer crushed the main forum for a good 12 hrs or so. However there hasn’t been a post there in 2 days other then mine about the spammer. Isn’t this the height of the season ? Wow

2018-07-08 10:50 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Main forum
Why do you hate kittens?
2018-07-08 12:38 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

I  bet most of the people who used to drive the conversations on this board are out of triathlon.....it's the nature of the beast.  The overwhelming majority of people who do triathlon end up as "been there, done that".  It's not like the majority were even fans of the sport.....it was purely a check mark in a box, a "selfish" goal that they accomplished and left.....on to the next box.

I'm sure FB, the new format, blah,blah,blah played a role....but for the most part the old members here left triathlon.

2018-07-08 2:10 PM

User image

Originally posted by mdg2003 Why do you hate kittens?
Because they are shifty !
2018-07-08 2:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I don’t disagree with all of that. However I mostly post on ST now. I joined that website probably around same time I joined here. Didn’t start posting on ST right away and have 3x’s the post count there. There’s at least a few if not more members there. Also I see a few people who used to post regularly here that post on ST.
2018-07-08 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I think Facebook killed a lot of Internet forums. And there are only so many questions about triathlons that can be discussed. Pretty much and question can be found asked and answered dozens of times via the search function.

2018-07-08 9:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

And there are only so many questions about triathlons that can be discussed. Pretty much and question can be found asked and answered dozens of times via the search function.

Am I supposed to wear underwear under my bike shorts?

Edited by mdg2003 2018-07-08 9:46 PM
2018-07-08 11:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by Rogillio And there are only so many questions about triathlons that can be discussed. Pretty much and question can be found asked and answered dozens of times via the search function.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

2018-07-09 7:46 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by Rogillio And there are only so many questions about triathlons that can be discussed. Pretty much and question can be found asked and answered dozens of times via the search function.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

I hate you cuz your seat's too high!
2018-07-09 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum.....

Just kidding, it wasn't that funny.

I think the race specific boards are the best. When I did IMKY about 30 BTers discussed the event and our training for a year. Every day we would post and send PMs and post on each other's training logs. We all met face to face for the first time at the pre-race dinner. We were easy to spot at we had all ordered bright yellow tee-shirts with a BT logo. That race was 10 years ago and to this day I am still friends with 6 of them on FB.
2018-07-09 12:17 PM

User image

Pro

What is FB?  Sounds like some bullchit to me.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-07-09 12:17 PM

2018-07-09 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

What is FB?  Sounds like some bullchit to me.

I joined FB initially to keep abreast of what my kids were doing on-line at FB. I came to enjoy it as I am able to stay in touch with my extended family and many of my old HS friends. My sister recently posted some videos of my 85 year old uncle playing the accordion for the seniors at their retirement home in FL. Many of my old HS buddies post picture of their white perch haul or the deer or hogs they killed. A buddy of mine here locally posted some awesome pictures of they trekking he and his wife did in TN to waterfalls and springs and I've added the treks to my to-do list. Like all things in life, pros and cons. There is a Rogillio family reunion page with a bunch of Rogillio's I've never met but we all trace back to the first Rogillio immigrant to Louisiana in 1780. They have a reunion once a year and post the information and photos on FB.

But there is a reason they make red bicycles and blue bicycles....to each his own.
2018-07-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Yep.....there is no way I could do facebook, twitter ,snapchat, or any of that crap.  I have no desire to keep up with any of it.  I check my kid's instagram page here and there so help them understand what is stupid and shouldn't be up on social media that employers, etc. may look at.

I hate social media......it's a human sewer as far as I'm concerned.

2018-07-10 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I keep waiting for the site to just permanently go down.  There's no way it could still be generating much revenue.

I was a very active BT user back in 2010-2012 when I was doing every Sprint, Oly, and HIM I could schedule and culminated late 2012 at IM Wisconsin.  I burnt myself out so bad I have barely worked out since and have pretty much zero interest in Tri's anymore.  I know many many people locally that did very similar to me that jumped on the fad wagon and then jumped back off.

There is still a couple local Tri groups on FB that are active but even those are a fraction of what they were 5 or 6 years ago.  I think it's just that Triathlon has kind of run it's course and people are off to other adventures.  I remember when I signed up for IMWI in 2011 (for 2012 race) it filled up in just a few minutes.  I almost missed the sign up and people would travel to volunteer, just to get into the race the following year.  I just checked right now and it's still not full and the race is in a couple months.

I did make a lot of friends here and kind of stuck around in COJ which then became PCOJ, but I don't even check the Triathlon portion of the site anymore.

I know I have LeftBrains contact info, but I need to get some of the rest of you on FB or cell in case BT just disappears one day.

2018-07-10 1:59 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by tuwood

I keep waiting for the site to just permanently go down.  There's no way it could still be generating much revenue.

I was a very active BT user back in 2010-2012 when I was doing every Sprint, Oly, and HIM I could schedule and culminated late 2012 at IM Wisconsin.  I burnt myself out so bad I have barely worked out since and have pretty much zero interest in Tri's anymore.  I know many many people locally that did very similar to me that jumped on the fad wagon and then jumped back off.

There is still a couple local Tri groups on FB that are active but even those are a fraction of what they were 5 or 6 years ago.  I think it's just that Triathlon has kind of run it's course and people are off to other adventures.  I remember when I signed up for IMWI in 2011 (for 2012 race) it filled up in just a few minutes.  I almost missed the sign up and people would travel to volunteer, just to get into the race the following year.  I just checked right now and it's still not full and the race is in a couple months.

I did make a lot of friends here and kind of stuck around in COJ which then became PCOJ, but I don't even check the Triathlon portion of the site anymore.

I know I have LeftBrains contact info, but I need to get some of the rest of you on FB or cell in case BT just disappears one day.

There used to be 6 triathlons within 30 min of me and now there are none. Gravel biking seems to be one new trend. I got burned out on racing but I don't have that competitive spirit. I'm happy with daily exercise and I don't really care what it is. I've participated in a couple of swim only events this summer and keep thinking sheesh this is so easy compared to a triathlon! I'm not even nervous, not stressing out that I will forget something the day before. Just wake up and go swimming - how simple is that?!

2018-07-10 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I think I have ridden my bike 3 times in the last 8 years. But refuse to sell it! My thinking or my hope is that after I retire I will gradually get back into triathloning. Then again, I still have some pants and shirts that no longer fit that I refuse to put in the donation box because I think one day I will get back into them! I will not do any more IM or HIM but certainly sprints and Olys. I am surprised IMWI has not sold out! There was a time when almost every US IM (except IMKY for some reason) would sell out on race day for the next year's race.

I think as long as the site owner gets XX number of hits per day they will continue to be able to sell ad space. But you are right, if the number of hits gets low enough then people will spot paying for ads and then what's the point in keeping/maintaining the website.

Does Ron still own the site?

2018-07-10 2:18 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by trigal38

There used to be 6 triathlons within 30 min of me and now there are none. Gravel biking seems to be one new trend. I got burned out on racing but I don't have that competitive spirit. I'm happy with daily exercise and I don't really care what it is. I've participated in a couple of swim only events this summer and keep thinking sheesh this is so easy compared to a triathlon! I'm not even nervous, not stressing out that I will forget something the day before. Just wake up and go swimming - how simple is that?!

Love swimming but kinda got out of the habit. They have an annual "Swim Hobbs Island" event here every year. It's a swim around Hobbs Island in the TN River. They have a 5 mile and a 1 mile option. I volunteer my pontoon boat last year to work the race but then totally forgot about it and booked a trip to WDW the same weekend. Non refundable tickets so had to renege.....felt bad about that.

RE forgetting something. I drove 2 hrs to an Oly tri in Chattanooga and when I got to the hotel and took my bike out of the back of my Yukon I realized I had left my front wheel in my garage at home! Fortunately is was only 2 hrs away and my dear wife was nice enough to meet me half way. Of all the dumb things to forget......
2018-07-10 2:27 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by trigal38

Love swimming but kinda got out of the habit. They have an annual "Swim Hobbs Island" event here every year. It's a swim around Hobbs Island in the TN River. They have a 5 mile and a 1 mile option. I volunteer my pontoon boat last year to work the race but then totally forgot about it and booked a trip to WDW the same weekend. Non refundable tickets so had to renege.....felt bad about that. RE forgetting something. I drove 2 hrs to an Oly tri in Chattanooga and when I got to the hotel and took my bike out of the back of my Yukon I realized I had left my front wheel in my garage at home! Fortunately is was only 2 hrs away and my dear wife was nice enough to meet me half way. Of all the dumb things to forget......

Even in my heyday I was pretty fast on the bike and above average on the run, but my swims were god aweful.  There was one oly where I had a faster split on the bike and the run than the guy that won the overall race, but my swim time was 40 minutes.  haha
Needless to say, I'm not going out of my way to find swim competitions.  lol

2018-07-10 3:05 PM

User image

Pro

The truth is probably that people who did triathlon just got tired of listening to each other go on and on.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-07-10 3:05 PM
2018-07-10 3:23 PM

User image

The truth is probably that people who did triathlon just got tired of listening to each other go on and on.

So pretty much how the people who don’t do triathlon feel !
2018-07-10 3:25 PM

User image

I keep waiting for the site to just permanently go down.  >

When I realized there was zero posts in two days I thought , “this is the end, my only friend the end”

2018-07-10 3:26 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Oh....I see you didn't spend much time around "triathletes".  LOL

You know, the guy/gal who played shortstop in the Wednesday night softball beer league game doesn't talk about it on Thursday, because he can at least figure out nobody cares. 

Edited by Left Brain 2018-07-10 3:28 PM
2018-07-10 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

what's the old joke? 

How do you know if somebody does Triathlon?  Talk to them.  lol

2018-07-10 3:56 PM

User image

Oh....I see you didn't spend much time around "triathletes".  LOL

You know, the guy/gal who played shortstop in the Wednesday night softball beer league game doesn't talk about it on Thursday, because he can at least figure out nobody cares. 

Which was exactly my point. See attachment LB

(2C217D53-23F5-48DB-A099-8D09E4E0E553.gif)

Attachments
----------------
2C217D53-23F5-48DB-A099-8D09E4E0E553.gif (7KB - 1 downloads)
2018-07-10 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

LOL!
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Main forum Rss Feed  

of 2