General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 90 RPM Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-18 10:45 AM

User image

Ashburn, VA
Subject: 90 RPM Question
Hi evbdy,

I am starting my cycling base training and I just purchased a Speedometer with cadence to start focussing on this.

I was wondering what cadence shoud I adopt throughout my base training (and later on though pre-competition training).

For now, I keep 90-95 average with a few 100-110 as it seems that 90 is the golden number.
I usually bike 20 miles easy on sundays (80-85 mn).

I will add a few spinning cycles when I start pre-competition training. For now I just go easy with a medium to high cadence.

Let me know if this sounds good or if I am wrong.

Thanks

2006-09-18 11:00 AM
in reply to: #544390

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: 90 RPM Question

Sounds okay as a starting point for building your base.  You might also want to track your heart rate or level of exertion at 90-95 cadence, to make sure you're not pushing too hard. 

Mark

2006-09-18 11:00 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Sounds like you're on the right track.
2006-09-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #544434

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
RedCorvette - 2006-09-18 11:00 AM

Sounds okay as a starting point for building your base.  You might also want to track your heart rate or level of exertion at 90-95 cadence, to make sure you're not pushing too hard. 

Mark

Or not hard enough.

2006-09-18 12:47 PM

User image

Ashburn, VA
Thanks for your answers.

As far as my HR is concerned I was doing 122 AVG during the 90-95 RPM.
That is about 65% of my max.

I guess this is the correct zone to be in when I go easy-medium...
2006-09-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: #544630

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Fab - 2006-09-18 1:47 PM Thanks for your answers. As far as my HR is concerned I was doing 122 AVG during the 90-95 RPM. That is about 65% of my max. I guess this is the correct zone to be in when I go easy-medium...

Do a bike LT test, max HR is pretty much irrelevant.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

2006-09-18 9:43 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Optimum cadence is individual but generally speaking triathletes should focus on not going much below 85-90rpm for racing.  I would suggest working through a range of cadence during your training though in order to more fully develop your cycling ability.  I typically race at 95-105rpm in order to minimize recruitment of fast twitch fibers...this is important for triathletes because we still need to run after the bike.  During training I specifically do some lower cadence work as stregth training and I also incorporate some very high cadence intervals for neuromuscular training.  I limit both the low and high cadence work to roughly 10-20% of my total cycling volume depending on where I am in my training progression.
2006-09-18 9:56 PM
in reply to: #545256

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

TH3_FRB - 2006-09-18 10:43 PM Optimum cadence is individual but generally speaking triathletes should focus on not going much below 85-90rpm for racing.  I would suggest working through a range of cadence during your training though in order to more fully develop your cycling ability.  I typically race at 95-105rpm in order to minimize recruitment of fast twitch fibers...this is important for triathletes because we still need to run after the bike.  During training I specifically do some lower cadence work as stregth training and I also incorporate some very high cadence intervals for neuromuscular training.  I limit both the low and high cadence work to roughly 10-20% of my total cycling volume depending on where I am in my training progression.

Nice feedback Joel.  I just got cadence monitoring on the new bike and was wondering how to better use it.

2006-09-19 8:11 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Here are a couple of sources that I found:
"Can training at higher cadences like Lance Armstrong really benefit all cyclists? Many cyclists spend a lot of time during the winter developing a fast smooth cadence through fixed gear, spinning, and isolated leg training. But can these exercises really influence or improve cycling performance?

High cadence training, or spinning, can be defined as any cadence that is higher (usually 100-140 rpm's) than a riders preferred cadence. These cadences are performed using lower gears, applying lighter pressure to the pedals with each stroke. The range of spinning drills is large and can include anything from isolated leg intervals to maximal cadence drills. These drills will influence neuromuscular adaptation increasing the "fluidity" of the pedal stroke. This fluidity allows the cyclist to pedal at higher cadences without bouncing and maintaining a smooth, efficient, circular motion longer reducing the force the leg muscles and joints must transmit.

When deciding if spinning drills make a more efficient cyclist one must define what sort of efficiency. High cadence training and spinning does not make you more economical metabolically. Spinning places more demand on the heart and cardiovascular system due to the increased mechanical work of moving the legs. However, spinning at higher cadences decreases the joint and muscular stress of the legs by affording lower peak pedal forces for a given workload. Higher cadences also, depending on the fitness of the individual, allows the muscles to work aerobically burning fat due to less type II muscle fiber activation. This would delay the burning of carbohydrate stores. In a study conducted by Ahlquist et al., at any sub-maximal cycling speed, a higher cadence resulted in less stimulation of fast twitch muscle fibers based on glycogen depletion measurements within the muscle. As the fast fibers deplete their glycogen stores from slower, high-strength pedaling, they soon become less forceful, and additional muscle fibers must be activated to maintain a particular speed. This activation of a larger number of muscle cells then leads to higher oxygen consumption rates and reduced economy.

With the proper training, pedaling rates of 80-100 rpm become easy for the slow-twitch muscle fibers to handle. Slow-twitch cells can contract 80-100 times per minute and can easily cope with the forces required to pedal in lower gears. Training with high cadences may cause type I muscle fibers, through adaptive changes in their myosin light chains, to become faster and more fatigue resistant to such fast pedaling rates. Basically, increased glycogen sparing occurs at higher cadences within type II fibers because slow-twitch (type I) muscle fibers can now handle the fast-paced, low-force contractions. To take full advantage of these adaptations cyclists should train the neuromuscular system, through cadence drills, to increase coordination and efficiency at such high pedaling rates and increasing the fatigue resistance of type I fibers so that high cadences can be used for a long period of time. Ultimately, higher pedaling rates will preserve more glycogen in the fast-twitch muscle fibers, leading to faster and more powerful finishes at the end of the race.

Here are some examples of high cadence drills:

Spin-Out Intervals
Start at usual cadence of 90-100 rpm's and slowly increase until you start to bounce in the saddle (typically around 140-160 rpm's). Slow cadence down slightly so you are no longer bouncing and hold this cadence for 1-2 min. Focus on maintaining cadence and relaxing feet, pedaling in a smooth and efficient circle. Recover for 10 min and then repeat. Best done with a cadence monitor! Try to hold your cadence the same each interval.

Single Leg Spinning
Start by taking one foot out of the pedals and resting in on a chair (if on a trainer) or somewhere on the bike (on the road) and continue to hold 90-100 rpm's for 45 sec. Once done switch legs and repeat. Focus on eliminating the dead spot at the bottom of the stroke and maintaining the same cadence. Start at 45 sec.-1min. and slowly increase to 1-2 minutes. Try 6-10 sets with 8-10 minutes recovery between each. The lower the cadence the more of a strength workout it will be but the higher the cadence you try to hold the harder it will be to finish! Feel the burn in those hip flexors!"

Ahlquist, L.E., et al. (1992) The effect of pedaling frequency on glycogen depletion rates in type I and type II quadriceps muscle fibers during sub-maximal exercise. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 65:360-4.

And this one:

Cycling Cadence: Slow cadence - Fast Twitch, Fast Cadence - Slow Twitch?

Many cyclists and triathletes ask about which cadence is "best". Lance Armstrong's victories in the Tour de France over the last two years have caused a lot of interest in this question, as we saw a dramatic difference in pedaling styles between Tour contenders Ullrich, with his lower cadence, bigger gear style, and Armstrong, with his higher cadence, low gear form. With Armstrong's style appearing to be more effective with his mountain stage wins, many scientists and coaches looked further into why this higher cadence style may be more effective.

It has been reported in past studies that pedaling a higher cadences, (80+ rpm), is more efficient than slower cadences. One way to measure efficiency is by measuring oxygen consumption rates. This measures the metabolic "cost" of the exercise. In order to determine the cost of slower vs. faster cadences one study compared oxygen consumption rates, heart rates, breathing rates, power production and even blood lactate production of pedaling at 50 rpm vs. 100 rpm. In order to make the comparison, the athlete's speeds were kept constant across the two cadences.

The result was that all of these indicators were very similar between the two cadences for the thirty minute test. One significant difference however, was the greater glycogen depletion in the slower 50 rpm condition. Looking closer, the researchers saw that only the fast twitch muscle fibres used more glycogen when pedaling at 50 rpm than they did when pedaling at 100 rpm. The slow twitch muscle fibres lost comparable amounts of glycogen in both the 50 rpm and 100 rpm conditions.

The slower cadence resulted in fewer, but more forceful contractions required to maintain the constant speed. It may sound counter-intuitive, but the higher force requirements of the slower cadence results in the recruitment of more fast twitch muscle fibres, since these fibres are capable of producing more force than slow twitch fibres. The drawback is that fast twitch fibres consume more glycogen, and fatigue more quickly than slow twitch fibres. As result, over the course of a workout, fast twitch fibres will get depleted and will fatigue. More fast twitch fibres will need to be recruited as the duration increases, which results in an increase of the total number of muscle fibres activated.

In addition, research has found that the faster cadence results in greater fat oxidation. Basically since slow twitch fibres are more efficient fat burners than fast twitch fibres, higher cadences that resulted in greater slow twitch recruitment used less glycogen, which is very important in endurance exercise performance. Over the course of a longer duration, the higher oxygen costs, and faster glycogen depletion seen in slower cadences results in reduced efficiency as compared to fast cadences.

Of course few cyclists would ever pedal as slowly as 50 rpm, but there are still efficiency differences, although smaller, between cadences in the 70s and lower 80s as compared to high 80s and 90 rpm plus. Slow twitch fibres can easily handle cadences of 100 rpm, but there is another factor to consider. When many cyclists do "spin ups", or accelerations to a higher cadence, they find that they bounce on the saddle, and their pedaling form suffers. This is caused by a lack of neuro-muscular co-ordination at high cadences, which in turn negatively affects efficiency. The good news is that co-ordination is trainable, and with practice, pedaling at high cadences can be improved.

So the question remains: what is the best cadence? Examining high performance cyclists and triathletes seems to confirm that cadences of 85-95 rpm are optimal for most athletes, and for most terrain. With proper training at these cadences (at all intensities), the higher cadences will be more economical and thus will result in faster times on the bike. And there is an added bonus: since higher cadences result in more glycogen being spared, especially in fast twitch fibres, there is the ability to have a faster sprint to the finish.

Joel Filliol

Professional Triathlon Coach Joel Filliol

2006-09-19 8:33 AM

User image

Ashburn, VA
Great feedback from Joel and Mike in particular.
Thanks a bunch.

So if I try to sum it up, I guess I can keep training @ 90-95 rpm as the main cadence as this is good for a triathlete that wants to save some muscle for the run.
I can also include a few exercises (no more than 15% of the total time):
a/ 5-6 times reps @ +110 rpm and above
b/ 3-4 times w/ one leg spinning @90 rpm
c/ later in my calendar training when I start pre-competition, I will also include 3-4 times @ 60-70 rpm (strengh).

Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 90 RPM Question Rss Feed