General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Barefoot on a Track? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-18 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Running Barefoot on a Track?
At my high school (literally the one I went to) track, I have been running with my Nike Frees. Light shoes and forces me to run very lightly.

I was thinking of doing it barefoot. Surface seems perfect for it.

Anyone try barefoot running and have they seen any benefit to their times?

Cheers

2006-09-18 6:49 PM
in reply to: #545096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Running Barefoot on a Track?

I used to train barefoot on a high school track when I lived in Vegas. It was one of those smooth rubberized surfaces and we did it late in the evening when the surface was cooler. I can't say specifically that I had improvements in my times but I think it helped to strengthen my ankles and feet if that makes sense.

I have owned/used some Free's for over a year now and like them for training or racing at 5k or less. No issues at all with them except that I can't go sockless because of some bad placed seems inside.

Michael

2006-09-18 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I love running barefoot and try to do it exclusively. I tried running on a track here in the summer. I thought I went early enough in the morning for the black track not to be a factor but it got hot pretty quick and my feet blistered. I try to run barefoot in the grass. I love it. No injuries and I feel great after a run. I am faster than with shoes on at a lower heart rate. Right now I am currently running in aqua or water shoes. Whatever they are called. I like these shoes alot. I am planning on wearing them this winter that way my feet have some protection. I am not a big fan of the Frees. There is to much sole to them for my liking. I have plenty of articles about barefoot running if your interested. If you planning on running barefoot remember you have to do it slowly. You just can't run 6-7 miles. You have to build up your bone density and your muscles have to adjust. I try to encourage everyone to run barefoot because you will not have injuries. I am flat footed and have zero issues. No shin splints, ITBS or Achilles issues. You can visit www.barefootrunning.org and write to Ken Bob Saxton about the benefits of barefoot running.
2006-09-18 7:37 PM
in reply to: #545138

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Rowdy - 2006-09-18 7:17 PM

I love running barefoot and try to do it exclusively. I tried running on a track here in the summer. I thought I went early enough in the morning for the black track not to be a factor but it got hot pretty quick and my feet blistered. I try to run barefoot in the grass. I love it. No injuries and I feel great after a run.

Seems awfully dangerous. Who knows what it is hiding in the grass? Glass, pebbles, stones, metal.

I would definitely do a major check of the run area before I did it.

Thanks for the advice and I will check out the site.

Cheers
2006-09-18 9:06 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Barefoot running is a great way to strengthen your feet/ankles/calves which should translate into a stronger more injury resistant runner.  Another benefit of barefoot running is that it forces you to change your running style and become a forefoot striker...try heel striking barefoot for more than a few step.  Landing on the forefoot engages your natural shock absorption system...the soft tissues of your feet and legs...rather than transmit the shock up through your legs and back where all you have to absorp the impact is minimal cartilage in the joints.  I love me Nike Frees and would run barefoot if I had a place where I could do it without being worried about steppig on something.  If you are confident that your track is free of debris then I'd say go for it.
2006-09-18 11:30 PM
in reply to: #545155

User image

New user
Who knows what it is hiding in the grass? Glass, pebbles, stones, metal.

Dog piles?

I'm with you...sounds scary.

2006-09-18 11:47 PM
in reply to: #545155

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois

I run in forest preserves and parks on either trails or grass. Very few people break glass on a trail. Most people that frequent these areas are respectful.  Stones and pebbles are no problem. If you land on them your foot naturally rolls off of them.

Dog poo and stuff is just a moisturizer. Who cares. If I told you that you could run pain free the rest of your life you would let dog poo stop you? Bring a towel and some water and wash it off.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that the core workout is great. Your lower back and stomach get pretty strong.

2006-09-18 11:52 PM
in reply to: #545318

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
biker_chic - 2006-09-18 10:30 PM

Who knows what it is hiding in the grass? Glass, pebbles, stones, metal.

Dog piles?

I'm with you...sounds scary.

Bees. Fatal.
2006-09-19 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
One more thing I thought about poo. Fish poo in water, birds poo in the water. When you do a triathlon you swim in the water. Essentially we are swimming in poo water. Some people drink the poo water. But that doesn't bother anyone? Stepping on some dog poo does?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Barefoot on a Track? Rss Feed