Subject: RE: infinIT nutrition
Nope- I use Perpeteum.
2006-09-19 2:18 PM
in reply to: #545930

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
I switched to InfinIT this year, and will probably never use anything else. I used Hammer (perpeteum, gel, heed) for 2+ years, and had good results. However, the need to supplement Perpeteum w/ endurolyte tablets, and the taste/consistency of concentrated formulas drove me to InfinIT. Kleinrider turned me on to it!

It takes all the nutrition worries out of my game plan. I get all my carbs, proteins, and electrolytes I need...based on my needs. You can customize it to your liking. If you don't like the formula, return it and they make you a new one. Also, you can adjust the flavor of your formula. With other products, the more you concentrate it, the stronger the taste. With InfinIT, I can create 1 formula that is full strength (2 scoops/bottle) or one formula w/ reduced flavor for concentrating. Then, they both taste the same. It dissolves like a dream. I used full strength at IMWI this year. At one of the water stops, I filled my botttles 3/4, dumped a baggie of InfinIT into it, topped w/ h20 and capped. A couple shakes and it was fine. Dissolves fairly clear w/ no grit!

Check out the forum at www.inifinitnutrition.com for more info!

Mike

Edited by BadgerIronMan 2006-09-19 2:19 PM
2006-09-19 2:22 PM
in reply to: #545966

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

BadgerIronMan - 2006-09-19 3:18 PM I switched to InfinIT this year, and will probably never use anything else. I used Hammer (perpeteum, gel, heed) for 2+ years, and had good results. However, the need to supplement Perpeteum w/ endurolyte tablets, and the taste/consistency of concentrated formulas drove me to InfinIT. Kleinrider turned me on to it! It takes all the nutrition worries out of my game plan. I get all my carbs, proteins, and electrolytes I need...based on my needs. You can customize it to your liking. If you don't like the formula, return it and they make you a new one. Also, you can adjust the flavor of your formula. With other products, the more you concentrate it, the stronger the taste. With InfinIT, I can create 1 formula that is full strength (2 scoops/bottle) or one formula w/ reduced flavor for concentrating. Then, they both taste the same. It dissolves like a dream. I used full strength at IMWI this year. At one of the water stops, I filled my botttles 3/4, dumped a baggie of InfinIT into it, topped w/ h20 and capped. A couple shakes and it was fine. Dissolves fairly clear w/ no grit! Check out the forum at www.inifinitnutrition.com for more info! Mike

Question- why would you have to supplement Perpeteum with endurolytes?  Perpeteum has sodium and potassium in it- I actually compared the Perpeteum label this morning to Gatorade Endurance.  Perepteum has a higher percentage of sodium and potassium per serving in it than the Gatorade Endurance.  Just curious. 

2006-09-19 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Tried Accelerade----tolerated it. Perpeteum -->bad experience during brick w/out plus taste was horrible. Have played around with a few different custom formulations of Infinit---LOVE IT...The ability to dial down the tast is great. Able to increase Na concentration..Even added caffeine into it to substitute for my AM coffee on race day.

I definitly plan on tweaking it for my nutrition for IM WI in 07.

2006-09-19 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

infinIT believer.  Created a good blend of carbs, electrolytes, and taste.  I like the taste and because it isn't sweet (slightly salty) it even tasted better as the day goes on.  Doesn't get all funky when warm either.

Great website for making your own blend or for buying stock blends.  Definitely worth trying it out.

2006-09-19 4:10 PM
in reply to: #545969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
runnergirl29 - 2006-09-19 2:22 PM

BadgerIronMan - 2006-09-19 3:18 PM I switched to InfinIT this year, and will probably never use anything else. I used Hammer (perpeteum, gel, heed) for 2+ years, and had good results. However, the need to supplement Perpeteum w/ endurolyte tablets, and the taste/consistency of concentrated formulas drove me to InfinIT. Kleinrider turned me on to it! It takes all the nutrition worries out of my game plan. I get all my carbs, proteins, and electrolytes I need...based on my needs. You can customize it to your liking. If you don't like the formula, return it and they make you a new one. Also, you can adjust the flavor of your formula. With other products, the more you concentrate it, the stronger the taste. With InfinIT, I can create 1 formula that is full strength (2 scoops/bottle) or one formula w/ reduced flavor for concentrating. Then, they both taste the same. It dissolves like a dream. I used full strength at IMWI this year. At one of the water stops, I filled my botttles 3/4, dumped a baggie of InfinIT into it, topped w/ h20 and capped. A couple shakes and it was fine. Dissolves fairly clear w/ no grit! Check out the forum at www.inifinitnutrition.com for more info! Mike

Question- why would you have to supplement Perpeteum with endurolytes?  Perpeteum has sodium and potassium in it- I actually compared the Perpeteum label this morning to Gatorade Endurance.  Perepteum has a higher percentage of sodium and potassium per serving in it than the Gatorade Endurance.  Just curious. 

260mg of Sodium & 156mg of Potassium may be enough for you. However, I'm a bigger athlete & heavier sweater. On normal days, I take in 375-475mg NaCl/hr. Hot days, I take in upwards of 600-700.

1 serving of gatorade endurance = 50 cal, 200mg Na
1 serving of perpeteum = 260 cal, 231 Na

Servings don't match...1 serving of perpeteum is about 5 servings of Gatorade Endurance (thus 1000mg Sodium) calorie wise.

If you fueled your calories on just Gatorade Endurance, you'd get enough sodium.

Studies show the average athlete losses 600-1400 mg Na per liter of fluid loss. I've never done the actual patch sweat test where they measure your perspiration for mineral loss, but I've done numerous sweat tests comparing before/after exercise weight including fluid intake. I know when my body has enough electrolytes because I've have too many days being low. Since switching to InfinIT, I have never had a low electrolyte issue.

Also, a common misconception is that bloating is caused by too sodium. Often, it is because of too little. Electrolytes are like the motor oil in your car. Doesn't matter how much gas you have...no oil...no processing. Same with your stomach...w/o the proper concentration of electrolytes fluid will not pass. I had this problem previously w/ perpetium. After about 3 hrs, I couldn't tell you how many endurolytes I'd taken. Not to say you can't have too much sodium...you can. I've done it. You just have to find what works for you.

If it weren't for what happens to perpeteum after being on my bike for 4 hrs in the hot sun & needing add'l endurolytes, I'd still use it. I can drink Infinit that's been on my bike all day, though cold is always preferred and processes quicker.

Edited by BadgerIronMan 2006-09-19 4:12 PM
2006-09-19 7:06 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Thanks for the feedback.  I was on their site the other day, and went so far as to get an individual formula, but didn't pull the trigger.  I think I'll give it a try.  I do ok with gatorade on the bike, but it really messes with my intestines on the run...I'm hoping the infinit will do better.  And I like that I can customize the flavor so it's no too sweet.  I also am very, very salty when I sweat, so if I can get all my needs in one bottle that would be good. I'll let you know what I think when I try it.  BTW-any recommends on their flavors??  Saw they had orange, grape and fruit punch, I think. 
2006-09-19 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I'm a lemon lime kind of guy.  I like it as the flavor is very subtle.

Also, as far as the run you can mix it to the consistency of a gel and take it with in a gel flask and either squirt a little in a cup of water or take a squirt and chase with water.  I took one flask with me to start my IM run and picked another up in my special needs bag.  Worked great and I didn't need to lug a 20 oz bottle around. 

2006-09-19 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
I'm a lemon guy as well...

I did the concentrated trick on the run as well. It works great. At florida 70.3, I put it over ice & water so it was always cold. At IMWI this year, I didn't have to worry about cold liquids Picked up more at special needs.

I do full strength (2 scoops/bottle) on the bike. For IM distance, you either have to pre-stage bottles at special needs or mix them up. Either way, just a couple of minutes. I tried concentrate on the bike. However, I always have a problem taking in the right amount. I've got a sensitive GI tract so need to make sure everything is properly mixed and in the right concentration when it hits my stomach. However, I know many people that use 2x or 4x concentration bottles on the bike, and simply grab water at Aid stations...

One tip is that they recommend dialing down or removing the protein on running formulas. This can often cause GI distress because of your elevated heart rate. Also, they recommend cutting calories by about 15-20%. I just dilute my infinit so I take in 1 1/2 scoops/hr vs 2 scoops/hr on the bike.

Edited by BadgerIronMan 2006-09-19 8:00 PM
2006-09-19 8:30 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
I'm off to order my lemon - lime formula! 

2006-09-20 7:54 AM
in reply to: #546084

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
BadgerIronMan - 2006-09-19 5:10 PM
runnergirl29 - 2006-09-19 2:22 PM

260mg of Sodium & 156mg of Potassium may be enough for you. However, I'm a bigger athlete & heavier sweater. On normal days, I take in 375-475mg NaCl/hr. Hot days, I take in upwards of 600-700. 1 serving of gatorade endurance = 50 cal, 200mg Na 1 serving of perpeteum = 260 cal, 231 Na Servings don't match...1 serving of perpeteum is about 5 servings of Gatorade Endurance (thus 1000mg Sodium) calorie wise. If you fueled your calories on just Gatorade Endurance, you'd get enough sodium. Studies show the average athlete losses 600-1400 mg Na per liter of fluid loss. I've never done the actual patch sweat test where they measure your perspiration for mineral loss, but I've done numerous sweat tests comparing before/after exercise weight including fluid intake. I know when my body has enough electrolytes because I've have too many days being low. Since switching to InfinIT, I have never had a low electrolyte issue. Also, a common misconception is that bloating is caused by too sodium. Often, it is because of too little. Electrolytes are like the motor oil in your car. Doesn't matter how much gas you have...no oil...no processing. Same with your stomach...w/o the proper concentration of electrolytes fluid will not pass. I had this problem previously w/ perpetium. After about 3 hrs, I couldn't tell you how many endurolytes I'd taken. Not to say you can't have too much sodium...you can. I've done it. You just have to find what works for you. If it weren't for what happens to perpeteum after being on my bike for 4 hrs in the hot sun & needing add'l endurolytes, I'd still use it. I can drink Infinit that's been on my bike all day, though cold is always preferred and processes quicker.

Thanks!  That makes sense. 

2006-09-20 8:24 AM

User image

Elite
Texas

I have two Infinit formulations that I use, one for workouts less than 2 hours and one for workouts > 2 hours. They both have 560 mg of sodium per serving, but the >2 hr formula has 5 mg protein added.

I switched from Perpetuem and endurolytes as well. I've had no problems with the Infinit, and it stays more palatable as it warms up.

2006-09-20 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
I too have been using Perp and endurolytes.  I am not a big fan of Perp on the run.  Have you found success with this on the run and/or are you also doing gels or anything along with this?  Thanks in advance folks!
2006-09-20 10:15 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I've been using Perpeteum on the bike.  I mix a 2 hour bottle and drink 1/2 of it the first hour and take an E Gel.  For the 2nd hour I finish the 1/2 bottle of Perpeteum and try to eat an uncrustable or type of food.  Then I continue the cycle alternating with a an E Gel or food to accompnay the Perpeteum.  I usually slip in an endurolyte or 2 somewhere in there, but haven't figured out exactly how many I need, when etc.  I might just have abottle of E Fuel with carbo pro to sip on so I don't have to worry about endurolytes, although that makes my somtach kinda heavy and full.

I haven't tried Perpeteum on the run yet. 

2006-09-20 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Decisions, Decisions.....

2006-09-20 10:27 AM
in reply to: #546521

User image

Elite
Texas

jszat - 2006-09-20 8:34 AM I too have been using Perp and endurolytes.  I am not a big fan of Perp on the run.  Have you found success with this on the run and/or are you also doing gels or anything along with this?  Thanks in advance folks!

I use the Infinit on the run with no problem. In August I used it for runs of 90 and 100 minutes in 100+ degree heat index and I felt fine. No gut issues and no cramping in my legs.

2006-09-20 4:20 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Just got an email my order is shipping today-quick turnaround!  My formula had no protein in it..is that a problem??? 

Just an aside....I was reading about Boost (like Ensure) as a  before drink - anyone have any experience with this.  think I read about it in the training bible, but I can't be sure . 

2006-09-20 7:07 PM
in reply to: #547219

User image

Elite
Texas
Mimir98 - 2006-09-20 4:20 PM

Just got an email my order is shipping today-quick turnaround!  My formula had no protein in it..is that a problem??? 

Just an aside....I was reading about Boost (like Ensure) as a  before drink - anyone have any experience with this.  think I read about it in the training bible, but I can't be sure . 

Ensure/Boost is in the training bible and if I remember right it was recommended as a way to get calories for a meal several hours before a race. As far as the absence of protein in your Infinit:

Recommendations for Carbohydrate and Protein Use During Endurance TrainingFor every hour beyond 90 minutes of training, aim at consuming ½ gram carbohydrate and up to 1/8 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight.

2006-09-20 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Mimir98 - 2006-09-20 1:20 PM

I'll let someone else answer the protein question - it's supposed to help metabolize carbs better during long sessions but I believe the jury is still out.

I use Ensure before my early AM runs and before races.  For IM I drank one can when I went to bed, one can at my 1 AMish bathroom stop and 1 or 2 when I got up along with some Ultramet.  Works really well for me.  I had to change to Ensure before my morning runs as the high fiber cereal was causing "issues" at about the 4 mile mark.

Plus Ensure comes in chocolate so it has to be good for you....  

2006-09-20 11:41 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Mimir98 - 2006-09-20 4:20 PM

I get up at 1-2 AM the night before a half-iron or Ironman and drink 2 bottles of Ensure. Some coaches advocate this because it helps replace some of the energy stores that you expend during sleep hours. I also drink a bottle of Ensure right before a century ride and it doesn't bother me at all despite the number of cals of fat that it has in it.

2006-09-27 3:08 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

This is some good stuff!  I used it today on a 90 min. ride and loved it...the taste was a little salty at first, but then I just thought of it as a margarita on the rocks with salt, and it was all good!

This is from their website (infinitnutrition.com), and I was quite surprised to learn in the current conditions here in south florida, I need to consume 45 oz of fluid an hour...I have been falling quite short of that!  thought someone else might find it useful.

Worksheet B: Determining Sweat Rate

The goal is to see exactly how much dehydration you incur during your workout and in turn, determine your hourly fluid replacement needed for euhydration.

1. Empty you bladder and record you weight (nude or swim suit)

2. Pre-exercise weight = ___________ lbs.(A)

3. Do your usual workout, and drink like you normally would.

4. Record the approximate volume of fluid consumed during exercise.

How much you drank = ___________ fluid ounces (E)
*Note: Each mouthful of fluid is ~1 ounce.

5. Towel dry, empty your bladder and then record your weight (nude or swim suit)

Post-exercise weight = ___________ lbs.(B)

6. Subtract your post-exercise weight from your pre-exercise weight to get the number of pounds you lost during exercise.

Weight lost = _____lbs.(A) - ______lbs(B) = ________lbs.(C)

7. To find out how many fluid ounces of water you have lost,

multiply pounds x 16
_____lbs(C) x 16 = ________ fluid ounces of water you lost during exercise (D)

8. To determine hourly fluid replacement needs, add number of fluid ounces you lost during exercise (D)
to the number of fluid ounces you consumed during exercise (E) and divide by total number of hours spent training.

(_____fluid ounces (D) + ___fluid ounces (E)) ÷ ___hours =_____fluid ounces needed each hour

Conditions that will increase sweat rate include heat, humidity, and elevated heart rate (high intensity training). Athletes should measure sweat rate across several workouts to determine their fluid replacement needs in various environmental conditions. On race day, based on the forecast, the athlete than can go back to their log and know exactly what fluid they need to plan on ingesting to prevent performance declines associated with dehydration. Deaths have occurred when the air temperature was less than 75 degrees F (24 degrees C) but the relative humidity was above 95%. Humidity levels over 75% will contribute to an increased risk of heat injury.

*Note that a factor of 1.2-1.6 can be multiplied to hourly replacement needs when heat & humidity (>75%) are extreme.

9. To find out what percentage of your weight you lost during exercise,

_____lbs. (C) ÷ ______lbs. (A) X 100 = ________ % Body weight lost

2006-09-27 3:44 PM
in reply to: #547356

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
PGoldberger - 2006-09-20 8:27 PM
Mimir98 - 2006-09-20 1:20 PM

I'll let someone else answer the protein question - it's supposed to help metabolize carbs better during long sessions but I believe the jury is still out.

I use Ensure before my early AM runs and before races.  For IM I drank one can when I went to bed, one can at my 1 AMish bathroom stop and 1 or 2 when I got up along with some Ultramet.  Works really well for me.  I had to change to Ensure before my morning runs as the high fiber cereal was causing "issues" at about the 4 mile mark.

Plus Ensure comes in chocolate so it has to be good for you....  

Does Ensure contain dairy or soy??

2006-09-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: #553549

User image

Elite
Texas
Mimir98 - 2006-09-27 3:08 PM

This is some good stuff!  I used it today on a 90 min. ride and loved it...the taste was a little salty at first, but then I just thought of it as a margarita on the rocks with salt, and it was all good!

Yeah it takes a little time to get past the salt, and I expected that would be hard on my stomach. No problems. Now if I can just train...

2006-09-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: #553549

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
On InfinIT Sweat Test...

I've used this religously (1x/wk for each sport) noting weather & conditions. I created an excel spreadsheet that does all the work. Also, it gives you variable electrolyte suggestions based on your intake and recommend based on normal vs. hot conditions. Let me know if you want a copy.

This are INVALUABLE infor for determining how to fuel for conditions!! I guarantee after you've done these test in MOST conditions you will experience, it will take the guess work out of your needs!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » infinIT nutrition Rss Feed  

of 2