Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Ways to index 'classic' or 'most helpful' posts... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-20 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Ways to index 'classic' or 'most helpful' posts...

I know we rehash this topic ad nauseum, but is the BT Developerarazzi considering ways to flag 'classic', or 'most helpful' posts?

If I remember correctly, the pro argument for this was that people could potentially find the most helpful articles more quickly, and the primary con was that people wouldn't be asking 'new' or 'fresh' questions in their own way if they were referred to a 'classic' article - it would stifle contribution.

One idea that might be a compromise, and not even require development....what if the moderator for each forum (esp. gear, tri-talk, nutrition) put a sticky on a post that documented the 'top 5' or 'top 10' questions, and links to a few of the BT classic articles or posts, kind of like a 'most helpful' index.  The moderators could maintain these, and add to them.

It's not even development...just an idea.  Thoughts?!

2006-09-21 1:15 PM
in reply to: #547179

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ways to index 'classic' or 'most helpful' posts...
or, what if each user could "bookmark" certain threads, so that rather than determine what the "best" threads for everyone would be, each user could have her own lil' collection. A site I used to frequent had that feature....
2006-09-22 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Interesting.

I'm up for debate on the 'sticky' suggestion. Ron, what do you think? A way to denote 'classic' threads using the current board functionality could have merit.

As to voting for and bookmarking threads, that gets into customizing the forum which is one of the few parts of BT that's pretty much 'off the shelf'(except for the race reports forum which is obviously tri sprecific and a hugely valuable resource for everyone).

We try to stay away from customization of the forums for a few reasons: 1- it increases complexity and costs whenever there's an upgrade to the forum software. 2- it takes away from the development of new one-of-a-kind features and enhancements to the existing ones.  We have to make decisions as to what's more important, like bookmarking threads vs.  updating the Race Reports to include race goals or getting started on adding route functionality. It comes down to priorities and resources available. Maybe this is something to look into as the priorities for 2007 get set.  

Should an upgrade to the forum software become available with these features, we'd jump at it of course.  

2006-09-25 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

I kind of like the idea of nominating a mod for particular forums, a person that can of course create and update sticky posts to 'helpful' articles and posts that can get buried quickly...that seems easiest.

Maybe even having that person keeping eye on particular forums to help us out.

?

2006-09-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: #550982

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Ron - 2006-09-25 2:22 PM

I kind of like the idea of nominating a mod for particular forums, a person that can of course create and update sticky posts to 'helpful' articles and posts that can get buried quickly...that seems easiest.

Maybe even having that person keeping eye on particular forums to help us out.

?

OK...that'll work...ball's in your court for next steps.  Let me know what I can do to help. 

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Ways to index 'classic' or 'most helpful' posts... Rss Feed