General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crunch time - 5 weeks before race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-20 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: crunch time - 5 weeks before race
Ok - needing some advice. I have lurked around this site for awhile now and made a couple of posts. I have learned many things. I have been training and logging my progress. I feel like I am in my "crunch time" for my scheduled first triathlon, Oct 29th. I have had a hiccup or two during my time training. I honestly feel that I can complete the tri (sprint) but would really like to shave some of my times down. I know for my run that some speedwork will help. And I know that I need more time in the water perfecting/correcting my strokes. But I am not sure how to increase my times on the bike. Is it simply a matter of pedaling faster? I am riding a $100 WallyWorld special mountain bike. I have compared it to a couple of Raleighs at the lbs, I know there is a huge difference in weight. But I can't justify a grand or more for a bike at this point. Would new skinny tires make much of a difference? Can anyone look at my logs and give me some advice on areas I can improve on? With 5 weeks left I feel like I want to really make a hard push to gain what I can.

Thanks

We reap what we sow -

2006-09-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: #547409

User image

Veteran
Florida
Subject: RE: crunch time - 5 weeks before race
Hey! My next race is a week before yours

Based on looking over your training logs...

Best idea I see is to just get out there and train consistently...if you can do that, then you will do your best at the triathlon Just get out there every day...

That's most important...but if you want...

Skinny tires are better, but, I'd say just determine if you enjoy doing the triathlons first, if you do, then save up for a nice bike for next year...I got a great bike on ebay a few months ago, which was less than a grand (it had about 10,000 miles on it, but had been babied by the previous owner)...and I'm really happy with it (but I rode a bike that I'd gotten for free before that, until I knew that I was going to stick with it...)...

Running, just make sure you got some good shoes, do at least one sprint workout per week, and some endurance work...and stretch beforehand...

Swim...do what I'm doing, find a good swim coach, get one or two private lessons, and other than that, just go to the pool and practice...

Good luck, enjoy and look forward to your race report

Edited by tbctbc 2006-09-20 9:59 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crunch time - 5 weeks before race Rss Feed