General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about water bottle hand-ups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-21 9:21 AM

Regular
NW Indiana
Subject: Question about water bottle hand-ups
I have never been in a race where there was a water bottle hand-up, so I don't really know how they work. Do you just take an extra bottle with you and a race volunteer takes it to the site, or do you have to have someone (i.e., a family member) there to give it to you?

I probably won't do it because two bottles should be plenty for me, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

2006-09-21 9:34 AM
in reply to: #547726

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Question about water bottle hand-ups

It depends on the triathlon you are doing and the length of the event.  One or two bottles is more than enough up to and including an Olympic tri.  For HIM and IM events, volunteers extend their arms out and offer water bottles at set distances along the bike course.  It is imperative that one takes this water each time.  In my last tri, I would throw my existing water bottle on the grass nearby, slow a bit, grasp the bottle offered me, stow it in my water bottle cage and ride on.

2006-09-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: #547726

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Question about water bottle hand-ups
Like Machiavelo said, for a sprint or oly you won't need more than one or two bottles tops. I bring my own (have it on my bike already) so I don't have to slow down to get a bottle. If you do decide to get one along the course it will be provided by the race, no need to bring your own. Almost every race has at least one bike aid station where volunteers hand out drinks.

Edited by drewb8 2006-09-21 9:59 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about water bottle hand-ups Rss Feed