General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonking during run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-21 11:21 AM

User image

Jupiter, FL
Subject: Bonking during run
I've been training for three to four months and have done one Sprint. The runs are killing me. I've always had a problem with bonking out around the 30 minute / 3 mile mark. I can swim or bike for alot longer than this. I'm hoping some experienced members can help me out.

Some info about where I train. I'm in S. Florida and usually run around 6pm. Temps are in the mid to high 80s. Humidity is around 90%+. I also seem to have problems when I run in the morning after I swim.

I eat a Snickers Marathon Energy Bar (220 calories) 1 - 1 1/2 hours before I start. I also drink a cup of gatorade endurance with the extra sodium and enough water to hydrate myself (50 calories).

At about 2.5 miles, I start to get very weak. I have to force myself to finish it out. Yesterday was terrible. I did a jog at the beach. I ran at the waters edge barefoot and completely lost energy after 18 minutes or so. It was rediculous. I walked a bit and then forced myself to make the 1.4 miles back to the car. I don't understand what the heck is happening. I've been averaging 10-12 miles per week.

I eat plenty of carbs and protein to fuel myself. Heck, i've been so hungry lately that I've even gained a few pounds since my last tri.

I think that this might be related to hydration since its so freaking hot and humid down here. I wear running specific clothing that "wicks" away the sweat, but with the humidity being so high, it really has no where to go. Yet I get cramps when I drink when running.

I'd hate to think its a mental thing.

Any ideas or help would be very appreciated.

2006-09-21 11:39 AM
in reply to: #547910

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Bonking during run

After 18 minutes, it's not "bonking" in the generally accepted, glycogen-depletion definition. Your fueling should be fine, should not be an issue in a run that short. Nor do I think it's a humidity problem, as I routinely run 5-20 miles in conditions equal to or worse than yours (no beach here!).

Eliminate the possibilities, and whatever's left, no matter how improbable, is the cause. I'm voting mental problem.

2006-09-21 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
What's your HR during the last mile of your run (just before you bonk)?  Maybe you're pushing too hard for the conditions?
2006-09-21 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm in Sarasota and know of what you speak with the hot & humid conditions - it can be brutal working out in the late afternoon like you've been doing.

That being said, I think your problems may be more related to conditioning and heat acclimation as opposed to hydration or nutrition.  You aren't really running far enough for that yet. 

I always train with my heart rate monitor and find that my HR tends to skyrocket on very hot days.  Sometimes I have to slow down to a walk to keep my HR in my target zone. 

When it's really hot I try to run routes with a lot of shade.  I usually don't carry water with me unless it's really hot and I'm going to be running for 45 minutes or more.  Also, are you wearing a hat?  I've found that makes a huge difference.

2006-09-21 3:06 PM

User image

Jupiter, FL
I dont' wear a hat. Should i? Maybe I should try to run at 6 am and see if that helps. thanks for the suggestions
2006-09-21 3:15 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
it's definitely not bonking.

how fast are you running? i did a 20 mile training run in Sarasota this spring preparing for the Big Sur Marathon and the humidity slowed me down by almost 1 minute a mile

maybe you're just running too fast. with 18 minutes of running nutrition should not be a factor at all.

Edited by awol 2006-09-21 3:16 PM

2006-09-21 3:26 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
how many times a week do you run? did you only run 4 times through August? how long (months/years) have you been running?
2006-09-21 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

In the heat you need to run slower.  No such thing as 'bonking' after 18 minutes.  You may be getting tired and hot, but you are not bonking.  I don't worry about nutrition unless I am going longer than 90 minutes.  As others have suggested, get a HR monitor.  That will give you an idea of what is going on.  My guess is that you simply lack running endurance.   This will come over time.  Yes, cooler weather will help you run longer and faster, but the heat is not the root of the problem. 

2006-09-22 6:32 PM

User image

Jupiter, FL
thanks for all the feedback

i've been running 3 x a week for only 1 mile at a time for 2 years.

4 months ago I decided to kick it up a notch to get ready for my first tri

I have been doing 2-3 miles 3x a week. I just recently started to update my training calendar which is why it doesn't reflect what I've been doing.

I noticed that my speed has been picking up alot. This could be the problem. I need to note my pace and use my mother's HR monitor (since mine broke) so I can see if this is the problem too.

I agree its not "bonking." I guess I'm just exausting myself do to going too fast in the heat.

I'll update after my Sunday run and I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks again!
2006-09-25 7:21 AM

User image

Jupiter, FL
Today was the first day that I ran at 6:15 am. I woke up at 5:30, drank 8 oz of Gatorade Endurance and 12-16 oz of water. I waited 45 minutes and then jogged. I did a 5 minute warm up, fast walk. 30ish minutes of running, and a 5 minute cooldown. It was one of the best runs so far. It was very easy. I tried to maintain a 9-10 min mile pace but sped up a bit during the last 1/2 mile or so.

I did not have any energy problems. The temp was in the low 70s. I believe the low temp and full hydration helped with my energy levels. I am going to do my best to do my runs early in the morning from now on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonking during run Rss Feed