General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help finding a bike part Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-22 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: Need help finding a bike part

After I decided to put some clip-on aerobars on my road bike, I went to have it profesionally re-fit.  My bike fitter is awesome, but I just couldn't get comfy in aero (soft tissue pain, ouch), and the only thing that helped was bringing the bars up a bit.  So, my bike fitter said to go out and find a short (preferably 70mm or less, but I could possibly go to 80 with a lot of rise) "riser stem" and bring it back to try.

Now, my current stem is 60mm and does have a bit of rise, but he said I need to come up at least 2 cm.  When I googled "riser stem" all I found was an add-on part for a specific Delta stem to increase the rise.  When I looked for just "stems" I found lots of different things, but I can't tell if any of them will bring me 2 cm higher because their rise is listed in degrees. 

I did check my LBS, and they didn't have anything.  It's possible they could order something for me, but I need to know what to ask for.  Does anyone have any advice for where/how to look or exactly what I should be looking for?  I'm a bit clueless in this department. 

2006-09-22 11:35 AM
in reply to: #549062

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC
Subject: RE: Need help finding a bike part
Using the fact that you needed a 2cm rise on a 7cm-8cm long stem all you have to do is a little trig to figure out what angle you need! It ends up being arcsin(2/7) (or 8 for an 8cm stem) which comes out to a need for 16.6/14.5 degree stem for the 7/8 cm length. I did a quick search and saw some ritchey stems with 17 degree rise but they were a little long for you. Your best bet with such a specific and uncommon stem size would be to go to your LBS and get them to look through their catalogs and find smething that has a 15+ degree rise in the length you need.

Best of luck on your search!

2006-09-22 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I assume you don't have any spacers above your stem, to put under your stem. That would be the easiest solution.

If you have to get another stem, I'd get something like a Ritchey pro adustable stem. The problem I see is, he says, 2cm higher. You get a stem that can go 2cm higher but then later on, you find our you need to only go 1cm higher, or 3 cm higher. That's another stem for you to buy.

Also, remember that any degrees in the stem will shorten the stem. Probably not to mess up your position, but anything's possible.

something like this:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20044&subcatego...

Edited by auto208562 2006-09-22 11:49 AM
2006-09-22 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

Thank you both for your help!

The math was very helpful.  My current stem is not flat but also has a little rise.  But at least I know that I need to look for something more than 16/14 degrees for those lengths -- thanks for that!  I wasn't really even sure if such a thing existed.

Spacers would be easier, but I've already maxed them out, so the stem is my last option I guess.  I suppose I will have to go home and measure my current stem, do a little math, and head back to the LBS.  (Alas, I am at work, posting on BT instead of engineering something.) The adjustable stem is a great idea as long as it goes high enough.

P.S. Are you an Aggie, bcotten??  I was class of '02.

2006-09-22 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I think I'm getting the hang of this.  The adjustable stem looks PERFECT except that I have oversized handlebars and they only make these for the smaller bar size.  I looked at some adjustable stems by other manufacturers and they all seem to be made for the smaller bars.  Hopefully my LBS can help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help finding a bike part Rss Feed