General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MODERATE SPRAINED LEFT ANKLE!!!!OH COME ON!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-22 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: MODERATE SPRAINED LEFT ANKLE!!!!OH COME ON!!!

Oh Come On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday morning I was outside the garage with my wife waiting for her to come outside for a slow ride on our bikes. I was cleated in, talking to her, not paying attention, and I fell before getting un-cleated on the the left. I know, I am idiot, a , a beginner, you name it. But, never the less it happened. I twisted or better yet moderalty sprained my left anlkle. Swollen, turning black and blue, my whole foot is swollen really. I have had injuries before but not like this. Went to the doc, he said after the xray showed no brakes, it as a moderate sprain. I done my best to keep it elevated with ice periods, that ice is cold . I want to know, WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO RUN< BIKE

SIGNED<
REALLY PISSED OFF

HA 

2006-09-22 12:58 PM
in reply to: #549081

User image

Gilbert, AZ
Subject: RE: MODERATE SPRAINED LEFT ANKLE!!!!OH COME ON!!!
That's definitely unfortunate "turn" of events.

Here is some info that I give my patients, including what goals need to be met before returning to athletic competition. I strongly recommend physical therapy to aid in the rehab process. You'll return more quickly and stronger.

The following is from McKesson Clinical Reference Systems.
Published by McKesson Clinical Reference Systems.

Ankle Sprain

What is an ankle sprain?
An ankle sprain is an injury that causes a stretch or tear of one or more ligaments in the ankle joint. Ligaments are strong bands of tissue that connect bones at the joint.

Sprains may be graded I, II, or III depending on their severity:

grade I sprain: pain with minimal damage to the ligaments
grade II sprain: more ligament damage and mild looseness of the joint
grade III sprain: complete tearing of the ligament and the joint is very loose or unstable.
Sometimes sprains are just classified as mild or severe, depending on the amount of ligament damage.

Most sprains occur on the outside part of the ankle, but they can occur on the inside as well.

How does it occur?
A sprain is caused by twisting your ankle. Your foot usually turns in or under but may turn to the outside.

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms of a sprained ankle include:

mild aching to sudden pain
swelling
discoloration
inability to move the ankle properly
pain in the ankle even when you are not putting any weight on it.
How is it diagnosed?
To diagnose a sprained ankle, the health care provider will review how the injury occurred and consider your symptoms. He or she will examine your ankle carefully. X-rays may be taken of your ankle.

How it is treated?
Treatment may include:

Applying ice packs to your ankle for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for the first 2 to 3 days or until the pain goes away. Thereafter, ice your ankle at least once a day until the other symptoms are gone.
Elevating your ankle by placing a pillow underneath your foot. Try to keep your ankle above the level of your heart.
Wrapping an elastic bandage around your ankle to keep the swelling from getting worse.
Wearing a lace-up brace or ankle stirrup (an Aircast or Gelcast).
Using crutches until you can walk without pain.
Taking anti-inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen, or other pain medication prescribed by your provider.
Doing ankle exercises to improve your ankle strength and range of motion. The exercises will help you return to your normal activity or sports.
Rarely, severe ankle sprains with complete tearing of the ligaments need surgery. After surgery your ankle will be in a cast for 4 to 8 weeks.

How long will the effects last?
The length of recovery depends on many factors:

severity of injury and previous injuries to that joint.
When can I return to my sport or activity?
The goal of rehabilitation is to return you to your sport or activity as soon as is safely possible. If you return too soon you may worsen your injury, which could lead to permanent damage. Everyone recovers from injury at a different rate. Return to your sport or activity will be determined by how soon your ankle recovers, not by how many days or weeks it has been since your injury occurred. In general, the longer you have symptoms before you start treatment, the longer it will take to get better.

You may safely return to your sport or activity when, starting from the top of the list and progressing to the end, each of the following is true:

You have full range of motion in the injured ankle compared to the uninjured ankle.
You have full strength of the injured ankle compared to the uninjured ankle.
You can jog straight ahead without pain or limping.
You can sprint straight ahead without pain or limping.
You can do 45-degree cuts, first at half-speed, then at full-speed.
You can do 20-yard figures-of-eight, first at half-speed, then at full-speed.
You can do 90-degree cuts, first at half-speed, then at full-speed.
You can do 10-yard figures-of-eight, first at half-speed, then at full-speed.
You can jump on both legs without pain and you can jump on the injured leg without pain.
For rehabilitation exercises for ankle sprain, click .

How can I help prevent an ankle sprain?
To help prevent an ankle sprain, follow these guidelines:

Wear proper, well-fitting shoes when you exercise.
Stretch gently and adequately before and after athletic or recreational activities.
Avoid sharp turns and quick changes in direction and movement.
Consider taping the ankle or wearing a brace for strenuous sports, especially if you have a previous injury.

Best of luck with your recovery!
2006-09-22 1:27 PM

User image

Regular

Thank you very much Sir,

I will do that, every word...

2006-09-22 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I sprained my ankle June 2nd.  Badly.  Like...couldn't put any weight on it for four days badly.

I ran an Oly tri on July 23rd (so, a little over seven weeks?) and it was the first time I could even THINK about running and only pulled it off with the ankle taped up SUPER SOLID.  And I seriously regretted it the next day.  I waited several weeks before trying it again.  Ankle finally seemed full recovered for the HIM (done on almost no run training) on 13 August (10 weeks after the injury).

Took almost two weeks to get back on a bike.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but ankle sprains can SUCK!

2006-09-22 4:56 PM
in reply to: #549444

User image

Regular

Thanks, but I'll gladly, hopefully, pretty please with sugar on top, get better in a couple of weeks. Gonna try to lift and do upper body for a while and abs and core as much as I can. This really is a bum deal.

2006-09-23 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I sprained mine 9/1 (1/2 mile into a run). Crutches/hobbling around that weekend, braced it for another 10 days. I finally did an easy run this week.

"Normal" walking and running won't feel too bad...anything that puts shear stresses on it (like kicking a soccer ball, or running on uneven surfaces) will remind you that you aren't as young as you once were. Start back very easy, and note how it feels the next day.

Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation...

2006-09-23 3:08 PM
in reply to: #549751

User image

Regular

Oh Man,

Your right, I aint as as young as I use to be, but I am getten there. HAHA

Went to the gym this morning, abs, back, shoulders. It felt so good to sweat after 5 days of nothing. I also got that Road Bike on a trainer, got on the balls of my feet for 20 min at RPE2. I tell ya man I am hooked on this stuff. I can't wait to get better.

All in all I have lost 45lbs. Not that I was fat at all, just round and way to much water you know. Anyway, the other day I was talking to a lady, we were talking about kids and family, she told me the ages of hers , I told the ages of mine, how long I have been married, HAHAHAHA, SHe thought I was 32. That felt good. I blew her away when I told her I be 40 years young.

(music2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
music2.jpg (31KB - 35 downloads)
2006-09-23 10:43 PM
in reply to: #549486

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
You can swim too...just use a pull buoy.  I don't think I was able to kick for over a month either.  I did LOTS of pulling!
2006-09-26 6:01 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
I feel your pain...I sprained my ankle a week ago today. Still using 1 crutch for distances longer then couch to bathroom. All sorts of pretty shades of purple and blue. I won't be doing anything with this ankle for awhile.

Oh, and to top it off, this happened the DAY BEFORE I was supposed to run my first 5k...I wanted to cry.

Edited by maggyruth 2006-09-26 6:05 PM
2006-09-27 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
My partner sprained her ankle 3 months ago and it still causes issues with flexibility and strength even though she rehab'ed diligently. It even still swells a bit after a day on her feet. Just takes time I guess...
2006-09-30 11:15 PM
in reply to: #549157

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Chan-man - 2006-09-22 12:58 PM
In general, the longer you have symptoms before you start treatment, the longer it will take to get better.

I started having symptoms October 2005, sought treatment after 2 major "re-injuries" (and about 6 minor ones) The last day of June 2006, and today I'm still immobilized, in Physical Therapy, with swelling and pain weight-bearing. 

Take care of it!  Don't start back too soon.  Please, please, please!

2006-10-02 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

I sprained my right ankle back in February playing b-ball. It was pretty severe. I stayed off of it for the most part - went to the doc - no broken bones and they gave me a brace. Brace really helped even with my walking. Got back in the pool within 2 to 3 weeks which felt OK. I really didn't use my ankle to much for kicking though. Within a month I got on the Elyptical machine which worked pretty well and at least got me back to doing a bit more cardio. Then I started back at spin class which went well too.

After about 3 mos though I still wasn't up to running or at least when I did it got soar. Went to see a sports Doc and he prescribed some PT. I went and they helped me to strengthen it and gaid reange of motion, etc.. What was most helpful was the exercises they gave me to do at home. After a bit I started running - 1st on the treadmill for 1.5 miles. Then rest it, then run same distance on road. If that went well I would rest it a day and then go 2 miles and keep building from there.

Today I wish I could say it was healed but it's not. I still get some swelling and if I run or cut on it without having my brace on then it gets sore. Doc says that what I am doing is OK (it's not really injurying it more but it delays the healing. I got through the tri season OK and if I was smart I would give it a few mos rest but I have never been accused of being that smart. Especially when I am hooked on the sport as well. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MODERATE SPRAINED LEFT ANKLE!!!!OH COME ON!!! Rss Feed