General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you take airborne or similar product when you start feeling sick? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Do you take airborne or similar product when you start feeling sick?
OptionResults
Yes I take it when others are sick around me.2 Votes - [25%]
Yes I take it when I get a dry/scratchy throat and never get sick4 Votes - [50%]
Yes I took it with a sore throat and it lessened my symptoms.2 Votes - [25%]
Why would I take anything?0 Votes - [0%]
Yes I took it and it didn't help0 Votes - [0%]
I never get sick!0 Votes - [0%]
I will try it next time I start getting sick.0 Votes - [0%]
I will try it when others are sick around me.0 Votes - [0%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2006-09-22 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: Do you take airborne or similar product when you start feeling sick?

2006-09-23 1:03 PM
in reply to: #549322

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Do you take airborne or similar product when you start feeling sick?

I am doing this poll becuase I saw that some members were getting sick before their races and was wondering if they try using these products! About three weeks before my race I got sick and started taking airborne, the cold only lasted a few days.  A week before the race it tried to come back and I started taking the airborne every three hours as stated on the package and never got sick!

2006-09-23 2:22 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Do you take airborne or similar product when you start feeling sick?
I don't take much of anything when I'm sick or starting to feel it.  I make a point of pulling back on activities, hydrating and getting as much sleep as possible and that usually kicks it pretty quick. 
2006-09-23 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

I've used Zicam several times in the past year.  I've taken it when I start feeling sick and this is the first year I can remember when I haven't been down with anything very serious.  My whole family was sick starting two weeks before my HIM and I felt it a bit the week before, but started poping the Zicam and it went away quickly. 

Of course, I can't say it was all the Zicam, but it's an interesting coincidence.  I asked a pharmacist about whether it did any good, and he said that the reason it 'might' help is that it bonds to the places where the germs normally would or something like that.  (That's filtered through my non-medical mind, so cut me a little slack!

Any docs care to comment on this stuff?  Is it worthwhile, why might it work or not?

2006-09-25 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
might as well just eat tic-taks
2006-09-27 8:52 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Zinc supposedly binds to cold viruses, preventing them from binding to your mucus membranes. I think this is reasonably supported in literature. My problem with zinc is that tablets make me sick to my stomach, and the nasal spray is goopy and you're supposed to use it every 3 hours.

As for teh airborne, I think the only ingredient taht's worthwhile is vitamin C (I think that's in there). Otherwise, my own cocktail of claritin plus flonase keeps most cold symptoms under control so I can function. the best defense for colds is to build up immunity by catching every strain under the sun. Workign in an ER or a pediatric clinic for a few months will do the trick.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you take airborne or similar product when you start feeling sick? Rss Feed