General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to triathalons Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-24 5:30 PM

Subject: new to triathalons
hey everyone, i've been doing distance runs, but have not ridden a bike since i was 12. i've started training for my first triathalon, and am going out to by a bike next week. any suggestions? i don't know where to start for anything.

Thanks!!

2006-09-24 8:15 PM
in reply to: #550276

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: new to triathalons

Well...coming here was an awesome start. I would say one piece of advice that works for me and my wife/training partner (benton4) is to use the training logs and training plans here on the website. Good way to keep you going if you lose motivation and once you have other members checking on your training it keeps you going so you don't look bad! :-)

Also...drop the extra "a" when you spell it....it is "triathlon"....don't sweat it, I bet most people spell/say it that way in the beginning.

Good luck and welcome!

Michael

2006-09-25 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
My suggestion on buying a bike is to find as many near by shops as possible and to ride as many different bikes as possible. Once you find the bike you like don't always go for the Local Bike Shop (LBS) that has the cheapest price. Take into consideration how they treated you during the purchasing process. You will have to take the bike somewhere to get ti worked on. Customer service means a lot.

Other than that, work hard, rest hard, and most important, have fun.
2006-09-27 8:56 AM
in reply to: #550598

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Hi there and welcome!! I agree with TROGDOR. Get out there and test ride as many bikes as possible. You are going to be spending a lot of time on your new friend so make sure you're comfortable on it! Most bike companies have great road bikes at affordable prices. I don't think I would start off on a tri-bike, I think the geometry is too aggressive. Trek, Giant, Fugi and Felt have excellent bikes that are very reasonably priced. I wouldn't go out and drop 5 grand on a bike (unless you really want to) until you know that you are truly hooked! Triathlon is a great GREAT sport and remember to savor every minute of it! Welcome and Happy Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2006-09-27 2:01 PM
in reply to: #550402

well thank you very much for welcoming me and the tips! i also will now never forget how to spell triathlon thanks!
2006-09-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: #552976

ok well thanks for the tips. i'm pretty sure i will get addicted. i'm already addicted to the whole marathon thing!

2006-10-02 4:22 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Welcome!!  And your first decision was a good one...don't ride the same bike you had when you were 12.  Or if you do, at least get a tune-up!  Just kiddin...

TROGDOR's advice is right on....test ride expensive ones, cheap ones, different materials, etc.  Then, as you zero in on a budget for the bike, start with getting a bike fit - a GOOD bike shop will fit you, THEN recommend bikes that come close to your setup in your price range.  Then once you get the basic bike picked out, you can accessorize from there (change saddles, wheels, etc).

The only thing I'd warn against...and I've seen this over and over and over...is buying a bike 'because it's on sale' before you get fit.  I know, difficult to do, because getting gear is cool.  Especially at a big discount, that rocks even harder...And you will probably save a few hundred bucks on the original purchase, but you'll give that back in speed, potential injury, and maybe even spend the saved money on additional gear to get you faster to make up for the poor fit.   Just thinkin' out loud, but hope it helps...

Good luck!!!

Edited by rkreuser 2006-10-02 4:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to triathalons Rss Feed