Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 101

2024-04-29 3:02 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

ME,

Normal running schedule has resumed, 7 runs ticked off this week. Very poorly organised week for me though, with my 3 hard workouts spread over 4 days. Whilst also building a small retaining wall for the cabin project over those 4 days. Hammering nails is strength and mobility stuff right?

Swim, 0
Bike, x1, 1hour, Intervals, Zwift Had planned at least 1 more, but after building the will was not there.
Run, x7, 6hr 35, 51km. Good to be back in the 50+km per week range.
S/M, x1 stretchy session, + 2days swinging a hammer.

And lets not talk about the warriors this week. Sad Face.

Yes, hammering nails IS a workout. Another solid running week, that's great!

my week consisted of :
3 runs: a short fastish one, a long slow one and intervals)
2 rides: one Zwift one 50k road. It was very windy yesterday, which made for a good workout.

nothing else

let's not talk about the Warriors....

have a good week BDAS!

2024-04-29 7:37 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Hey all and happy Monday.  As mentioned a good week and I added some extra upper body work with power-washing the driveway.  Day off today then a recovery week and a Parkrun 5K on Saturday.  Oh, and it's 90 degrees here now.  It was 56 and raining on Saturday.  April!! 

2024-04-29 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Current temperature which was published yesterday.... 9C (48F). Forecast is sunny and warm but only 2 days to go, it won't get much warmer.

No.  Effing.  Way.    That's like ice bath territory.

2024-04-29 8:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Current temperature which was published yesterday.... 9C (48F). Forecast is sunny and warm but only 2 days to go, it won't get much warmer.

No.  Effing.  Way.    That's like ice bath territory.

just what I'll be needing after my half marathon

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-04-29 3:32 PM
2024-04-29 3:11 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by drfoodlove Yes…and that approximation drives me CRAZY!!! Why can’t someone just give me a number?!!
5?
The answer is always 32.

42.  There is no other answer.

Of course it's 42. I'm embarrassed to have got that wrong. Must be because I forgot to bring my towel.
2024-04-30 8:13 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Good week for me so far, back is still getting its act together but got in a 5 mile walk Monday, threshold bike and upper body workout yesterday, and a 2 mile treadmill run and legs day this morning.  Still a little wonky but it didn't bother me at all running this morning so I'm going to continue to ease back in.  I'm going to make a game-time decision on the race - I can sign up like the morning of if I need to. 

@Nicole:  it's a Charm City Run event on the Inner Harbor.  Flat and fast but there are two u-turns which I don't love. 

Ahh yes, U-turns are pretty lame! I think I remember you doing this one last year

2024-04-30 8:23 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove

2000yds in the pool--set up as 90x25 (although, obviously, I didn't do all 90). We have a guy on our Master's team who turns 90 years old today, so in his honor, we did 90x25.

I'm thinking of quitting my master's "team." I will start by saying I like swimming with master's and I like the time we swim (6am) and I like the coaches and workouts. There are a ton of things I like about the master's team and I think I swim harder when I workout with a group. But, the culture of the group has changed over the last few years from a group of people who take their training seriously with a few people who screwed around to a few people who take training seriously and mostly people who are there for a social event and maybe to swim a bit. It just doesn't feel like it is serving my needs right now, which bums me out, because, as I said, I really enjoy most aspects of swimming with the group.

Do the people who screw around disturb your training that much? I know you wrote before about those who turn up late (that was you, right?) but what do they do other than that? (and who in their right mind would turn up for training at 6 in the effing morning and not take it seriously?)

Training with a group is always more rewarding and as you say, you train harder, plus you like the coaches and workouts. Add to that it’s at a good time for you. It would take a lot to keep me away. I wish I could find a swimming group with these criteria, even if half the group or more was farting around.

I can see that being really frustrating! I try to do both I like to have a good time and joke around, but when I do sets I am super focused. Are there other teams around that you could try out?
2024-04-30 8:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

Not sure if I told you guys, but I've also been tracking my meals the last week or so. I'm doing really well and meal-prepped on Sunday (a pretty delicious greek salad). I also got below 170 lbs for the first time in a very long time. 169.9...but still
One problem, and sorry if this is TMI, but I haven't been regular in the bathroom, so trying to figure out what I need to change up/add to my diet to get back into the regularity. I feel like I'll lose another 4 lbs once it's moving again...sorry, way TMI

How do you track and prep? Do you plan your meals for the week and cook on Sundays?

I realised I needed to do something, as the weight is slowly creeping up again (quick recap, lost 26lbs in 2017-2018, had put half back on by the end of 2022, lost those 13 again in 2023 and now I’m already up 9lbs again).
—I know the weight is only one factor, but I feel, it on my clothes too—

I have been tracking calories with MFP and was trying to keep it around 1500 cal a day to maintain weight but I’ve been going up anyway. So I am back on a calorie deficit which means I need to train more because I don’t want to eat less.

I am also making a conscious effort to eat slowly, I even time myself. Worked great last night, by the time i finished my meal (which was cold by then, that’s the downside), I was full, didn’t get more as I usually do.

I don’t track poop yet but I am waiting for andrew’s sh!tbit to be released.

Have a great weekend BDAS, the weather is finally getting a little warmer, nice long run today and nice long ride tomorrow on the menu.

I also use MFP! We should follow each other if we don't already! I am nerby14

I was doing well then fell off over the weekend (those are always my toughest days b/c I hate being on my phone), but am getting back to it today.

I do the prep on Sundays if I have time. Mostly I plan out my meals and either plan to prep or plan meals that don't need prep (I bought salads for this week b/c I didn't have time this weekend). I also try to put my meals in the night before so I know the plan and can make sure I stick to it. When I do that I do REALLY well, but when I don't I'm not as disciplined.
2024-04-30 8:37 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!
Pretty unproductive week or so here. I actually tweaked my back, so the injuries just keep injuring...

I've mostly just been taking it easy, walking and such, but hadn't started my stretching or core routine yet.

My friend wanted to set up a pickleball court in his cul-de-sac, so I went over to help and then we played a bit. At some point, my left hip felt a little tight, and a little later I realized it was actually my lower back, and now I could barely bend over to pick the ball up.
I'm so frustrated and feel like my body is letting me down, but I know I'm just letting my body down. I've been stretching like crazy and it's starting to loosen up. Tonight I'm going to plan my new routine, and this will include regular stretching.

I had my MRI yesterday too, but don't have the results back. They injected the contrast directly into my hip, but luckily they numb it first so it wasn't too bad. Will keep you guys posted, but my hip is actually feeling really good lately!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 101

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 884 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland