Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-09-18 7:40 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by canadarn2001
Originally posted by jmkizer

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

I did REACH the BEACH 100 mile bike ride. Great weather, super fun!

Glad you enjoyed yourself! Now what is this great weather thing?  

2023-09-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, if one only attends two track meets in as many decades, that was a great one to go to! I got to see the women's 5000m record fall by 5 seconds (by an Ethiopian whose name I can't pronounce or spell, but she's an awesome runner!), as well as Jakob Ingebritsen (probably spelled wrong) break the 3000m men's world record in an exceedingly dramatic finish--he was neck and neck with an Ethiopian runner, dove at the finish line, and ended up sprawled all over the track, winning by 0.01 seconds. Imagine--losing the race, and the world record, by that. Possibly I may have made a small contribution--I find the guy kind of full of himself, and was cheering wholeheartedly for "Team Ethiopia" each time he came past down the backstretch. A Swedish guy also broke the world record (I think his own) in the pole vault on his final vault. Eugene's track fans were in great form. And it's certainly not the rickety, often flooded old Hayward Field of my collegiate running days. I brought my thickest hoodie, because in the old days the stands were all wooden seats with no backs and that's what you sat on. It's not like that anymore. And that's by far the least of it. OMG.

Oh my gosh! That sounds like an amazing event to attend!

Agreed!

Oh, you don't want to know about our weather on Saturday.  Also, we don't want to make you cry when we say works like noon, 77F, 50% humidity all in a single sentence.

2023-09-18 8:17 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, if one only attends two track meets in as many decades, that was a great one to go to! I got to see the women's 5000m record fall by 5 seconds (by an Ethiopian whose name I can't pronounce or spell, but she's an awesome runner!), as well as Jakob Ingebritsen (probably spelled wrong) break the 3000m men's world record in an exceedingly dramatic finish--he was neck and neck with an Ethiopian runner, dove at the finish line, and ended up sprawled all over the track, winning by 0.01 seconds. Imagine--losing the race, and the world record, by that. Possibly I may have made a small contribution--I find the guy kind of full of himself, and was cheering wholeheartedly for "Team Ethiopia" each time he came past down the backstretch. A Swedish guy also broke the world record (I think his own) in the pole vault on his final vault. Eugene's track fans were in great form. And it's certainly not the rickety, often flooded old Hayward Field of my collegiate running days. I brought my thickest hoodie, because in the old days the stands were all wooden seats with no backs and that's what you sat on. It's not like that anymore. And that's by far the least of it. OMG.

Oh my gosh! That sounds like an amazing event to attend!

Agreed!

Oh, you don't want to know about our weather on Saturday.  Also, we don't want to make you cry when we say works like noon, 77F, 50% humidity all in a single sentence.

That's just cruel!

2023-09-18 9:25 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

I did REACH the BEACH 100 mile bike ride. Great weather, super fun!
That sounds really fun, glad you had good weather!

2023-09-19 1:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Proof of life post....I moved again. 

I Got interested in Triathlon when I was living in Marble Falls, TX.  There are two local Triathlons done there.  I moved Oklahoma shortly after my first Triathlon, then back to another part of Texas 6 years later, now to Wyoming 2-1/2 years later. 

Every time I move training and race opportunities change.  Triathlon is NOT a big sport in Wyoming.  Mountain Bikes, Gravel Bikes, Fat Tire bikes, Cross Country Skiing, and trail running are pretty popular.  There are lots of good races if I am willing to travel a little further to Utah or Colorado though.  Boulder is about 3-1/3 hours away and Northern Utah is about 5 hours away. 

I have loved my running for the past month.  I hated moving to Texas for the last move because I went from 300' elevation on every run to about 300' of elevation every 9-10 months and I feared that i would get weak and slow.  I am happy to say that I am back to 300' of elevation a run and even have started working on my up hill endurance.  There is a 7-mile loop up the mountain that is up-hill for the first 3 miles (6% grade) then flat for a mile then back down the mountain for three miles.  My first attempt up the maintain I died at about 2 miles then had to walk.  The second attempt I made it 2.3 miles.  I hope to someday be able to run the whole three miles up without walking. 

Like every year I am not sure what races to sign up for next year.  I am leaning to the Ogden, UT Marathon as my A race for the spring.  The overall top three in the Masters division get cash prices ($200 for first place) and my times are good enough to have a shot at winning based on times from the past couple years.  I also am considering some of the half marathons (Star Valley, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, etc.), a 70.3 Triathlon (Echo 70.3, IM Boulder 70.3, etc.), and the Standard Distance USAT Duathlon in Nebraska.  I wish there were some cool races less than 3 hours from me, but 4-5 hours is not too bad.  I wonder how training in the winter will be.  I haven't done that since I lived in Salt Lake City 28+ years ago.  I will figure it out though.    

2023-09-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I Got interested in Triathlon when I was living in Marble Falls, TX.  There are two local Triathlons done there.  I moved Oklahoma shortly after my first Triathlon, then back to another part of Texas 6 years later, now to Wyoming 2-1/2 years later. 

Every time I move training and race opportunities change.  Triathlon is NOT a big sport in Wyoming.  Mountain Bikes, Gravel Bikes, Fat Tire bikes, Cross Country Skiing, and trail running are pretty popular.  There are lots of good races if I am willing to travel a little further to Utah or Colorado though.  Boulder is about 3-1/3 hours away and Northern Utah is about 5 hours away. 

I have loved my running for the past month.  I hated moving to Texas for the last move because I went from 300' elevation on every run to about 300' of elevation every 9-10 months and I feared that i would get weak and slow.  I am happy to say that I am back to 300' of elevation a run and even have started working on my up hill endurance.  There is a 7-mile loop up the mountain that is up-hill for the first 3 miles (6% grade) then flat for a mile then back down the mountain for three miles.  My first attempt up the maintain I died at about 2 miles then had to walk.  The second attempt I made it 2.3 miles.  I hope to someday be able to run the whole three miles up without walking. 

Like every year I am not sure what races to sign up for next year.  I am leaning to the Ogden, UT Marathon as my A race for the spring.  The overall top three in the Masters division get cash prices ($200 for first place) and my times are good enough to have a shot at winning based on times from the past couple years.  I also am considering some of the half marathons (Star Valley, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, etc.), a 70.3 Triathlon (Echo 70.3, IM Boulder 70.3, etc.), and the Standard Distance USAT Duathlon in Nebraska.  I wish there were some cool races less than 3 hours from me, but 4-5 hours is not too bad.  I wonder how training in the winter will be.  I haven't done that since I lived in Salt Lake City 28+ years ago.  I will figure it out though.    

The event opportunities sounds great!  I love your attitude!  Races within 4-ish hours are super doable.  Enjoy it!

After your comment, I had to check what my elevation gain was for this morning's 4-miler and Garmin says 142 ;-)

2023-09-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Where in Wyoming are you? I lived in Laramie for for a few years back in the late 1990's. It's grown a lot since then. Not only do you get elevation gain on runs there, but you're already at a pretty significant altitude to start with.
2023-09-19 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

The event opportunities sounds great!  I love your attitude!  Races within 4-ish hours are super doable.  Enjoy it!

After your comment, I had to check what my elevation gain was for this morning's 4-miler and Garmin says 142 ;-)

im happy you’re happy with your running!  I have no idea how far glacier NP is from where you are n Wyoming, but I know Vacation Races puts on a half marathon there each year. I was supposed to run it in June 2020, but 2020 was canceled!

As far as elevation on runs - I had a big 20 feet on my 5 miler this morning.

2023-09-19 2:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

I assume others got the Ironman email that Louisville is back! Or at least the 70.3 version of the 140.6. This should make Jim at least 1/2 way happy 

Edited by amd723 2023-09-19 2:18 PM
2023-09-20 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Darren, I think that you owe us an accountability check-in.

2023-09-21 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I assume others got the Ironman email that Louisville is back! Or at least the 70.3 version of the 140.6. This should make Jim at least 1/2 way happy 

I saw this! And noted it's back to August which, oof, so hot in KY!  I guess a half takes out the hottest part of the day but stil! 

I remember chatting with a gentleman at the start line of IMMT when i did it and he said he'd started 9 ironmans and finished 8. At KY he made it to the run but woke up in an ambulance ... yikes

2023-09-21 3:08 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

I saw this! And noted it's back to August which, oof, so hot in KY!  I guess a half takes out the hottest part of the day but stil! 

I remember chatting with a gentleman at the start line of IMMT when i did it and he said he'd started 9 ironmans and finished 8. At KY he made it to the run but woke up in an ambulance ... yikes

i have a friend who did a couple of the fulls when they were still in August. Hotter than hell, but she absolutely loved the race, 

2023-09-22 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

i have a friend who did a couple of the fulls when they were still in August. Hotter than hell, but she absolutely loved the race, 

That surprises me.  Of the six IMs that I did, I thought Lou was the least supported -- especially on the run. And I'm including Vineman and B2B in there.  Maybe the support evaporated with the change to the fall date?

2023-09-22 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey Manatees - was geting a note about one of the fitness apps I use coming up for renewal and the cost is going up and it makes me think about how sneaky all of these subscription costs are ... what do you have and think is worth paying for? 

Earlier this year I unsubscribed from paid Strava because while I liked a few of the visualizations it wasn't really worth the $.  I need to cancel Zwift because i haven't been on for ages and am unlikely for the next month or so. 

Plus, DH is currently the buyer for the exercise category (for Canadian Tire, a big Canadian retailer) and we have free memberships for iFit and JRNY -and he's constantly being asked to try out different ones. It feels like it all adds up and trying to be judicious about the ones that we actually will use. 

2023-09-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey Manatees - was geting a note about one of the fitness apps I use coming up for renewal and the cost is going up and it makes me think about how sneaky all of these subscription costs are ... what do you have and think is worth paying for? 

Earlier this year I unsubscribed from paid Strava because while I liked a few of the visualizations it wasn't really worth the $.  I need to cancel Zwift because i haven't been on for ages and am unlikely for the next month or so. 

Plus, DH is currently the buyer for the exercise category (for Canadian Tire, a big Canadian retailer) and we have free memberships for iFit and JRNY -and he's constantly being asked to try out different ones. It feels like it all adds up and trying to be judicious about the ones that we actually will use. 

I currently pay for

* Zwift - $15/month
* TrainerRoad - $20/month (Coach Parry was $76/month and before that I used EnduranceNation which was $97 every 4 weeks)
* TrainingPeaks - $90/year (so $7.50/month)

I cancelled my plan with Coach Parry a few months ago and change to TrainerRoad for workouts/training plan and I run TR workouts but use Zwift of entertainment and bonus rides. So far, I've really been liking TR!

I have the annual (discounted) TrainingPeaks plan. It goes on sale every Black Friday. I've been debating whether or not to keep it.  It's $90/year.

Edited by jmkizer 2023-09-22 8:54 AM
2023-09-22 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

im happy you’re happy with your running!  I have no idea how far glacier NP is from where you are n Wyoming, but I know Vacation Races puts on a half marathon there each year. I was supposed to run it in June 2020, but 2020 was canceled!

As far as elevation on runs - I had a big 20 feet on my 5 miler this morning.

Inquiring minds want to know, are you getting a gravel bike???

2023-09-22 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

That surprises me.  Of the six IMs that I did, I thought Lou was the least supported -- especially on the run. And I'm including Vineman and B2B in there.  Maybe the support evaporated with the change to the fall date?

IDK about support during the August dates, but I agree the run the year we did it wasn't supported well. I wonder if that storm that came through - hard rain, big wind that knocked the transition area fence over in places, and a major drop in temp ( all leading to my hypothermia!) kept people away. They changed the run course I think the next year and it looks like the 70.3 is using it, so hopefully that will result in more support.  

2023-09-22 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I currently pay for

* Zwift - $15/month
* TrainerRoad - $20/month (Coach Parry was $76/month and before that I used EnduranceNation which was $97 every 4 weeks)

I cancelled my plan with Coach Parry a few months ago and change to TrainerRoad for workouts/training plan and I run TR workouts but use Zwift of entertainment and bonus rides. So far, I've really been liking TR!

I have the annual (discounted) TrainingPeaks plan. It goes on sale every Black Friday. I've been debating whether or not to keep it.  It's $90/year.

Yes, those subscriptions are sneaky and add up quickly! These companies count on our inertia to just let things renew! I am very guilty of falling into that trap. 

I have zwift and Trainer Road too. I haven't used either in months, so probably should have canceled, but now am close to being able to get back on the trainer so will keep them!

Coach Parry is about to renew for the year. I pay $297 for the year. This is one I really should have canceled last year, b/c with my on and off all year injury I haven't used it, but I got such a good deal on the yearly subscription that I kept it and will keep it with the idea that I will use it for my next training plan. 

I used to have the paid Training Peaks account but ditched it a couple of years ago.

In August I actually bought the yearly Strava subscription b/c I was in New York and looking for running routes from my hotel and Strava was able to give me a number of good ones - but only if I paid for the privilege. I imagine I won't renew.

I recently went through a similar evaluation with my internet-cable- phone plans. That resulted in me completely changing everything which will result in a really big savings. I kicked myself for not taking action earlier.

2023-09-22 11:27 AM

I currently pay for

* Zwift - $15/month

Yes, those subscriptions are sneaky and add up quickly! These companies count on our inertia to just let things renew! I am very guilty of falling into that trap. 

I have zwift and Trainer Road too. I haven't used either in months, so probably should have canceled, but now am close to being able to get back on the trainer so will keep them!

Coach Parry is about to renew for the year. I pay $297 for the year. This is one I really should have canceled last year, b/c with my on and off all year injury I haven't used it, but I got such a good deal on the yearly subscription that I kept it and will keep it with the idea that I will use it for my next training plan. 

I used to have the paid Training Peaks account but ditched it a couple of years ago.

In August I actually bought the yearly Strava subscription b/c I was in New York and looking for running routes from my hotel and Strava was able to give me a number of good ones - but only if I paid for the privilege. I imagine I won't renew.

I recently went through a similar evaluation with my internet-cable- phone plans. That resulted in me completely changing everything which will result in a really big savings. I kicked myself for not taking action earlier.

I currently subscribe to TrainerRoad and Garmin. I haven't used the TR in a bit and definitely need to get back into that. I did the free trial on Zwift and it actually made me a little motion sick watching the screen, so I never subscribed. Garmin has a few workout features, but I mainly use that for golf. It has a bit over 42,000 golf courses on it, including my local course, that I can track yardages to the hole on my watch, and play on our simulator that we set up at home last winter.

It definitely seems like so many companies have gone to a subscription-based modely. It drives me nuts. When I wanted to Word for my Ipad to use for work stuff, it was such a pain to get around the MS365 subscription and just pay for the program outright like we always used to do. I finally got it figured out and just bought it outright.
2023-09-23 4:46 AM
in reply to: #5283809

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
"Darren, I think that you owe us an accountability check-in
-----
Janyne"

Not a lot to report. New work shoes seem to be better for me. I bought ones with the boa lace up system to allow me to quickly loosen them when I get in the driving seat.

Foot seemed to be healing well, still a bit tender around the back of the heel and a stiff achiles. That is until until I ran up the stairs of my house last week and felt something tear which made me hobble for a few days again. Hoping to ease back in to it next week, fingers crossed.

Dog walking duties gave been passed to the kids.
2023-09-26 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sure that everyone has seen this because it's been all over various formus but just in case...

11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech II Road Cranksets

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard

If you have an 11-speed bike with a Shimano crankset, your first step will be to check the number stamped on it stamped on your crankset.  Not every single parts 11-speed is affected.  The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm.  Check the two letters at the end of the stamp and see if it matches the recall notice.  If it does, get thee to your local bike shop.

2023-09-27 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sure that everyone has seen this because it's been all over various formus but just in case...

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard

If you have an 11-speed bike with a Shimano crankset, your first step will be to check the number stamped on it stamped on your crankset.  Not every single parts 11-speed is affected.  The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm.  Check the two letters at the end of the stamp and see if it matches the recall notice.  If it does, get thee to your local bike shop.

Yup, I'm affected. I contacted my mechanic for an inspection.

shimano crank arm

2023-09-27 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

shimano crank arm

Is that your gravel bike? I need to check mine.

2023-09-27 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

shimano crank arm

No the gravel bike has a GRX crankset and it sounds like an issue with the  Ultregra and Dure-Ace product lines. This is the road bike that I purchased in March 2020.  Supposedly newer road cranksets are not affected.

680,000 crank sets in the US are affected with 4,519 known/reported "incidents."

2023-09-27 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

shimano crank arm

No the gravel bike has a GRX crankset and it sounds like an issue with the  Ultregra and Dure-Ace product lines. This is the road bike that I purchased in March 2020.  Supposedly newer road cranksets are not affected.

680,000 crank sets in the US are affected with 4,519 known/reported "incidents."

Ah, ok I think my road bike and tri bike are probably way too old to be affected, but will check to be sure.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33