Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-10-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by alicefoeller Interrupting your regularly scheduled programming with a link to an important post about the future of this website.

Well, this is unfortunate news. I suppose we might want to discuss the future of the Manatees as well. We've been together for more than 10 years.  How would we like to handle this?  I don't think that the 15 of us will make or break BT.  I suppose we could Google Group + Strava if all else fails.

ETA: Bronze is $50/yr. 

The only thing that surprises me about this announcement is that it isn't just saying the site is being shut down! I'm not sure what to think as it seems there is a possibility that if we pay for a membership that may still not be enough to keep the site running.  My use of BT has morphed into this group and the log. I'd hate to lose either.

Yeah, her post was not very clear.  Like you, I'd really hate to lose this group or the training log/race reports.  That would be very sad.

Again, I don't think the $750/yr that the site would get if all 15 of us subscribed would make or break it.  It does sound like we may want a Plan B -- where it's something like a Google Group or Geneva, well...

Edited to correct typo.

I only come here now for you guys. So I'm all in favor of another platform. Just let me know where we land and I'll show up!
Pretty much the same for me. I occasionally look at the Triathlon Talk forum, but there have been less than 10 threads started there since the beginning of June. So not much going on. I've actually been surprised the site held on this long. I'd be happy to upgrade a membership, but I think as Janyne said, a few of us are not going to save things. I don't really enjoy Slowtwitch. Way too many threads feels like information overload, most of which doesn't really seem relevant to me. I'll follow y'all wherever.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding Slowtwitch, I agree. It's not aimed at me. I have had more success with the TrainerRoad forum (you do not have to be a subscribe to use the boards, you just have to register to post/reply) but that's more cycling focused that triathlon focused.

2023-10-06 12:10 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Originally posted by alicefoeller Interrupting your regularly scheduled programming with a link to an important post about the future of this website.

Well, this is unfortunate news. I suppose we might want to discuss the future of the Manatees as well. We've been together for more than 10 years.  How would we like to handle this?  I don't think that the 15 of us will make or break BT.  I suppose we could Google Group + Strava if all else fails.

The only thing that surprises me about this announcement is that it isn't just saying the site is being shut down! I'm not sure what to think as it seems there is a possibility that if we pay for a membership that may still not be enough to keep the site running.  My use of BT has morphed into this group and the log. I'd hate to lose either.

Yeah, her post was not very clear.  Like you, I'd really hate to lose this group or the training log/race reports.  That would be very sad.

Again, I don't think the $750/yr that the site would get if all 15 of us subscribed would make or break it.  It does sound like we may want a Plan B -- where it's something like a Google Group or Geneva, well...

Edited to correct typo.

I only come here now for you guys. So I'm all in favor of another platform. Just let me know where we land and I'll show up!
Pretty much the same for me. I occasionally look at the Triathlon Talk forum, but there have been less than 10 threads started there since the beginning of June. So not much going on. I've actually been surprised the site held on this long. I'd be happy to upgrade a membership, but I think as Janyne said, a few of us are not going to save things. I don't really enjoy Slowtwitch. Way too many threads feels like information overload, most of which doesn't really seem relevant to me. I'll follow y'all wherever.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding Slowtwitch, I agree. It's not aimed at me. I have had more success with the TrainerRoad forum (you do not have to be a subscribe to use the boards, you just have to register to post/reply) but that's more cycling focused that triathlon focused.

Gotcha. I didn't know TR had a forum. I subscribe to TR, that's what I use for trainer rides. I'll check out the forums there.
2023-10-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Edited to correct typo.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gotcha. I didn't know TR had a forum. I subscribe to TR, that's what I use for trainer rides. I'll check out the forums there.

Like anything, you have to skip over the cr*p but I've enjoyed that one a lot more than Slowtwitch lately.

2023-10-06 6:18 PM

User image

Expert

Edited to correct typo.

Thanks for the feedback.

Like anything, you have to skip over the cr*p but I've enjoyed that one a lot more than Slowtwitch lately.

I've always thought that Slowtwitch was too chaotic to follow any threat.
I think I have a trainer road log in from when I had a Timex Ironman GPS watch (the one that is the size of a Chevette). I think they stopped producing it 15 years ago. I will have to try to sign on.
2023-10-08 7:17 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey y'all, Janyne reached out to let me know about the recent "announcement" from Alice. I must admit I have been surprised every year that BT has managed to remain open for the past 3 or 4 years. The lack of a quality mobile solution has just been a deal breaker of sorts for me. Work began blocking the site a few years back and I have become a whole lot more phone centric at this point. All that said, I believe the real question becomes "What's next?" I don't believe the chat ability in Strava is powerful enough for y'all. We did some testing with Geneva a few years back and it worked fairly well. If TR has something, that may work. All in all, there are a variety of other options, because I don't believe that BT will be up and running in a couple of years. I know that some of us have some old training data out here, but that only reminds me of the age old asage, "If you are not paying for the service, you are the service".  There is no way that someone keeps investing time and effort without getting something back, and I find it hard to believe that Allice can't find a way to monetize this. I guess there is a limited market for such a thing. So, whichever option you choose, I'll continue reading along and popping in on a very occasional basis  

I hope all is well with each and every one of you. 

As always, thank you for reaching out Janyne.

2023-10-09 6:30 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey y'all, Janyne reached out to let me know about the recent "announcement" from Alice. I must admit I have been surprised every year that BT has managed to remain open for the past 3 or 4 years. The lack of a quality mobile solution has just been a deal breaker of sorts for me. Work began blocking the site a few years back and I have become a whole lot more phone centric at this point. All that said, I believe the real question becomes "What's next?" I don't believe the chat ability in Strava is powerful enough for y'all. We did some testing with Geneva a few years back and it worked fairly well. If TR has something, that may work. All in all, there are a variety of other options, because I don't believe that BT will be up and running in a couple of years. I know that some of us have some old training data out here, but that only reminds me of the age old asage, "If you are not paying for the service, you are the service".  There is no way that someone keeps investing time and effort without getting something back, and I find it hard to believe that Allice can't find a way to monetize this. I guess there is a limited market for such a thing. So, whichever option you choose, I'll continue reading along and popping in on a very occasional basis  

I feel a bit like we are all treading water while we wait and see what will happen.  I hope that we're able to keep our little community together.

2023-10-09 9:49 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I feel a bit like we are all treading water while we wait and see what will happen.  I hope that we're able to keep our little community together.

we can always do a private facebook group. If people don't have a fb account they can create a hidden one so no one can search for them.
2023-10-09 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

x2. I also think part of the quietness in our group is there has been a lot less racing since COVID. I know I haven't raced at all this year and in '20 and '21 probably raced 2.5 x per year. That is significantly less than I formerly raced which leads to less to talk about  

2023-10-10 2:05 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

we can always do a private facebook group. If people don't have a fb account they can create a hidden one so no one can search for them.

What about a discord group? It's free and even I've figured out how to use it.
2023-10-10 2:47 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

Yes, Discord and Geneva are both kinda similar. I kinda like the Geneva interface more but I'd be happy to Discord if that's what folks want.  Both have web/mobile version and both are very customizable.  We already have Manatee places on both from prior testing.

2023-10-10 3:07 PM

User image

A little giggle for everyone-

A local race called the Harvest Moon Long Distance race was on Sept. 16. I did the Aquabike because I was dealing with PF and running wasn't fun.

My swim was okay but that was the plan, to just have an okay swim and save the energy for the bike.

What wasn't in the plan was crashing literally about 5-10 feet past the mount line. A spectator walked across the road right in front of me and I swerved off the road so I wouldn't hit him.

I was able to unclip right before I fully crashed, but somehow, I jammed my foot into the ground and did something to my quad. The entire race my quad felt like it was cramping. I had a nice bruise on it after the race and the next day my foot was swollen and purple as well. Foot is better but my quad still hurts if I do outrageous things like, oh you know, walk downstairs or try to run or try to pedal on my bike.

I'm assuming that I hold the Manatee record for fastest crash on the bike. Please fellow Manatees, do not be jealous of my talents here!

2023-10-10 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yes, Discord and Geneva are both kinda similar. I kinda like the Geneva interface more but I'd be happy to Discord if that's what folks want.  Both have web/mobile version and both are very customizable.  We already have Manatee places on both from prior testing.

I just signed into both of those choices. As I mentioned in Geneva, I've never used either but based upon my 2 minute review Geneva seems more user-friendly Obviously, the log function is a big factor for me both in logging my own and checking out others. 

2023-10-10 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo A little giggle for everyone- A local race called the Harvest Moon Long Distance race was on Sept. 16. I did the Aquabike because I was dealing with PF and running wasn't fun. My swim was okay but that was the plan, to just have an okay swim and save the energy for the bike. What wasn't in the plan was crashing literally about 5-10 feet past the mount line. A spectator walked across the road right in front of me and I swerved off the road so I wouldn't hit him. I was able to unclip right before I fully crashed, but somehow, I jammed my foot into the ground and did something to my quad. The entire race my quad felt like it was cramping. I had a nice bruise on it after the race and the next day my foot was swollen and purple as well. Foot is better but my quad still hurts if I do outrageous things like, oh you know, walk downstairs or try to run or try to pedal on my bike. I'm assuming that I hold the Manatee record for fastest crash on the bike. Please fellow Manatees, do not be jealous of my talents here!

OUCH!! I hope the pedestrian at least said sorry!  I will try to curtail my jealousy, but it will be difficult 

2023-10-10 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo A little giggle for everyone- A local race called the Harvest Moon Long Distance race was on Sept. 16. I did the Aquabike because I was dealing with PF and running wasn't fun. My swim was okay but that was the plan, to just have an okay swim and save the energy for the bike. What wasn't in the plan was crashing literally about 5-10 feet past the mount line. A spectator walked across the road right in front of me and I swerved off the road so I wouldn't hit him. I was able to unclip right before I fully crashed, but somehow, I jammed my foot into the ground and did something to my quad. The entire race my quad felt like it was cramping. I had a nice bruise on it after the race and the next day my foot was swollen and purple as well. Foot is better but my quad still hurts if I do outrageous things like, oh you know, walk downstairs or try to run or try to pedal on my bike. I'm assuming that I hold the Manatee record for fastest crash on the bike. Please fellow Manatees, do not be jealous of my talents here!

Oh no! I'm so sorry that this happened. Ugh.  I hope that you are recovering well.

2023-10-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just signed into both of those choices. As I mentioned in Geneva, I've never used either but based upon my 2 minute review Geneva seems more user-friendly Obviously, the log function is a big factor for me both in logging my own and checking out others. 

I know. I don't have a great solution for the logs -- just Strava 

Strava helps with the "log" part but not the "blog" or "inspire" part.

Edited by jmkizer 2023-10-10 4:48 PM
2023-10-10 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not an actual crash but I believe that in the same race (after suffering vertigo getting out of rough water), I managed to drop my bike before the mount line AND push it into a race official. So don't feel too bad!

2023-10-11 6:34 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not an actual crash but I believe that in the same race (after suffering vertigo getting out of rough water), I managed to drop my bike before the mount line AND push it into a race official. So don't feel too bad!

We are a talented bunch!

2023-10-12 10:36 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Awwww, Harvest Moon!  Aquabike!!  Wow, that is a very early crash and sounds very painful, what happened to your quad!  Dang pedestrians!  I hope it heals quickly for you, sounds like an odd injury.

Fun memories for me what feels like a lifetime ago, in 2016 I did the aquabike there and had a fun manatee meetup with TJ and Mary.  Colorado sure is a beautiful place.

2023-10-12 8:38 PM

User image

Expert

A little giggle for everyone-

A local race called the Harvest Moon Long Distance race was on Sept. 16. I did the Aquabike because I was dealing with PF and running wasn't fun.

My swim was okay but that was the plan, to just have an okay swim and save the energy for the bike.

What wasn't in the plan was crashing literally about 5-10 feet past the mount line. A spectator walked across the road right in front of me and I swerved off the road so I wouldn't hit him.

I was able to unclip right before I fully crashed, but somehow, I jammed my foot into the ground and did something to my quad. The entire race my quad felt like it was cramping. I had a nice bruise on it after the race and the next day my foot was swollen and purple as well. Foot is better but my quad still hurts if I do outrageous things like, oh you know, walk downstairs or try to run or try to pedal on my bike.

I'm assuming that I hold the Manatee record for fastest crash on the bike. Please fellow Manatees, do not be jealous of my talents here!

Ouch! Hopefully you heal well. The carless pedestrian is a pet peeve.
I mostly just crash a low speeds, but my real talent is vomiting without losing my bike cadence.
2023-10-13 6:53 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella
Ouch! Hopefully you heal well. The carless pedestrian is a pet peeve. I mostly just crash a low speeds, but my real talent is vomiting without losing my bike cadence.

That is a very special talent!

2023-10-13 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2023-10-13 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know. I don't have a great solution for the logs -- just Strava 

Strava helps with the "log" part but not the "blog" or "inspire" part.

I've been trying to post regularly in Geneva to see how that goes.  It's just an experiment to see how I feel about putting stuff into the interface and which type of "room" works best form me. Feel free to take a look. 

I mostly use the web app (https://app.geneva.com/) but I also have the mobile app on my phone. We'll see what happens...

2023-10-13 11:09 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Fun this weekend:  it's the home opener for the Hershey Bears (AHL ice hockey team for which I have partial season tickets) and my niece and her BF are coming with me, yay!

Fun last weekend (sorry I'm late mentioning this): my first hockey game of the season for my team, we won 5-1!  I would've had a shutout but on a save I made, the crook of my leg pad at the ankle was beyond the red line on a weird side-angle shot and the hawk-eyed ref correctly saw the puck was in, just in.  Ugh, but it was the correct call!

2023-10-13 11:18 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Originally posted by melbo55

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Fun this weekend:  it's the home opener for the Hershey Bears (AHL ice hockey team for which I have partial season tickets) and my niece and her BF are coming with me, yay!

Fun last weekend (sorry I'm late mentioning this): my first hockey game of the season for my team, we won 5-1!  I would've had a shutout but on a save I made, the crook of my leg pad at the ankle was beyond the red line on a weird side-angle shot and the hawk-eyed ref correctly saw the puck was in, just in.  Ugh, but it was the correct call!

My dad grew up in East Bangor, PA and I still have family there. I remember as a kid that Hershey Park was the first amusement park I ever went to. Good memory.

I am hoping to get back to the pool this weekend. I haven't been all summer because there were always other things to do.
2023-10-13 11:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Have fun tonight and congratulation on your undefeated hockey season! ;-)

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33