General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Tri: Aug 1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-26 12:04 PM

Boylston, MA
Subject: First Tri: Aug 1
Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself as well. I've read a lot of message boards across the internet (including weight loss and low carb support boards) and it just seems like this board has some of the nicest folks I've come across! Quick facts: I'm 26 years old, married, living in central Massachusetts.

My older sister did the Danskin down in Austin 2 years ago. I was totally amazed, mostly cause neither of us had been very athletic as kids or even in high school or college, so it was like like having a brand new sister! I thought at the time "Boy, I could do the swimming, but the running would kill me!" In the spring of 2003 I started running (I caught the exercise bug and just doing weights and the elliptical at the gym wasn't enough for me anymore) and the first time I ran 3 miles, I started thinking that maybe a tri would be in reach. And I looked at the Danskin website and, wow, they have a tri just half an hour away from me! I didn't have a bike and hadn't even been on a bike since high school, but I figured I could get a used one that would get me through. Hubby was very supportive, although not so thrilled about spending too much on a bike for me (this is important later). So as soon as registration opened, I signed up so I could lock myself in. ("I spent the money, no backing out now!") We bought me a Trek 1000 for $500 ($200 more than hubby wanted us to spend on it, but it was a road bike and that's what I cared about) and started my training.

So now it's a week before my first tri. I've already decided that next summer I probably want to do at least 2 sprints and maybe see if I can work up to an olympic distance; I've convinced a friend of mine to train and race with me next year; my sister, who's been doing several 5k road races this year, plans to get back into to tri'ing; and hubby has gotten so into the whole thing that he spent like $900 on a new bike + accessories for himself and wants to try one next summer. What happened to being frugal with the bike purchases? It went from "Don't spend too much!" to "Yes, I want all the accessories for MY bike!" I'm not really mad, but I'm demanding upgrades. And maybe an iPod. He owes me something, at least!

Goal #1: To finish the damn race.
Goal #2: In less than 2 hours.
Goal #3: In less than my sister's time. (Sibling rivarly, much? )

Looking forward to sharing all my tri experiences with you folks! Good luck to all!
Beth

2004-07-26 1:49 PM
in reply to: #40422

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: First Tri: Aug 1
Welcome Beth!  Sibling rivalry is a great thing!  Certainly a great motivator!  Good luck in your tri - post a race report when your done!
2004-07-26 4:49 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
welcome and good luck!
2004-07-26 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Hi Beth, Good luck in your training, you will do great!!
2004-07-26 11:01 PM

, Alabama

Hey, Beth!  That sounds great!  Believe me, I've heard conversations between my hubby and myself that sound just like that!

Good luck with the race.

Sharon

2004-07-26 11:37 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!

2004-07-28 11:28 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Good luck on your upcoming race! Sounds like you have good support and have picked a great first race - the Danskin series is a wonderful atmosphere. Looking forward to reading your report!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Tri: Aug 1 Rss Feed