Other Resources My Cup of Joe » IMHO...Roadies are LAZY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-29 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: IMHO...Roadies are LAZY

Roadie Rant ahead:  If you want the questions and results section (read too lazy to read it all)Laughing scroll to the end.

Ok...so I show up to the "fast" ride at 5 pm.  Some of the super nice people from the Tuesday ride were there so I chatted with them and they went over to one of the fast riders and told him that I was looking to ride with the fast people.  After the nice people left, I hung around waiting for the "fast" group to leave.  I took a couple of laps around the parking lot and the guy in white said, "I heard you were looking for the fast people."  I said, well, I just wanted to get in a good ride...that's all.  So I head over to where about 15 people are set up and waiting to leave.  I'm obviously the new guy but no one says anything to me.  It was worse than a sewing circle.  They actually talked around me the whole 20 min we were waiting for a guy to find a front wheel (which someone had ironically).

No biggie...they want to play their games...no skin off my back.  So we head out and I sit near the back trying to observe how the group dynamics are.  We head out at a steady 20 - 21 mph pace.  Nothing too fast.  The first thing I notice is that they don't call out the holes in the road.  I hit like 3 of them as the guy in front of me just swerved at the last moment not giving me a heads up.  Didn't think anything of it at the time.   I noticed that they did everything they could to minimize the wind.  When I say this, I mean if the wind was coming right to left, they actually would stack up ACROSS the entire lane just to "stay in the draft".  I stayed on the right side of the lane and just rode into the wind because I wasn't about to be stupid or LAZY!  This is when I started to get the feeling that true roadies are lazy people (by my definition).  So I miss the first sprint, which was only about 100 meters.  That shocked me because every other time I ride with roadies, it gets set up for a mile or so and then at least a 1/2 mile of all out.  Again...Laziness in my book.

I found myself towards the front, so I start to pull into a right to left wind.  After about a mile, I decided that I give someone else a chance.  I actually heard someone say, earlier, that they love to let people stay out front and then drop them, so I kept that in mind.  So I pull over to the left (almost to the double yellow) and no one is passing me.  I am a bit confused especially when about 8 riders go around me on the LEFT.  One of the guys (we'll call him blue shirt) pulls up next to me and says, "You are suppose to pull over into the wind so that those behind you don't have to work as hard and can keep the draft as long as possible.  I actually said to him, "Isn't that kinda lazy?"  He didn't give me an answer.  At this point, I had become slightly irritated.  Oh well...at least it's a good pace and I'm getting a workout.

I still refused to string out across the whole lane and managed a couple of more pulls.  As we get to a hilly section, blue shirt guy come up next to me and says, "There are a couple of hills coming up and we push up them, so try to hang on and not get dropped" (EXACT QUOTE!)  My immediate response was I laughed and immediately accelerated.  By the top of the second hill, I had put 200 meters on the entire pack!  I didn't give up the lead until about 1/2 mile later.  Now Dan was pissed and was engaged in their Testostorone Game.  Anytime I saw blue shirt, I made sure that I was on his wheel and took the lead from him anytime I had a chance.  That way he was always looking at my backside.

The next major climb, again, I pushed up it but not that hard and again dropped the pack.  Only 1 guy came with me and I think he did it on principal.  It took a bit for the pack to catch up and I sat up and waited because I remembered this portion of the ride from the Tuesday ride.  It was about 3 miles of rolling hills.  People were slowing down, so I decide to go ahead and pull.  I pulled for 2 miles up these things.  I was really spent.  When they came around me, they started to accelerate!  It dawned on me that they were trying to drop me.  HELL NO they weren't.  It took a lot, but I held onto the back until I recovered and then resumed my spot in the top 1/3 of the line.

To make a long story short, I ended up placing second in the final sprint even though I pulled for about 1/3 of the ride and wasn't LAZY like they were.  I did manage to get 2 or 3 "Good Rides" afterwards.  But they are still the Biggest bunch of A$$holes on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

But it was a good ride!

Questions: 

Have you ever heard of the concept of pulling off into the wind vice the "normal" pace line that pulls off to the left and the next person comes up on your right?

Would you consider doing everything you could to "stay in the draft" being lazy?

I'm not an overly strong cyclist, so was I in the wrong here?

Clarification:

I'm not putting this story out to get Kudo's for hanging with the roadies (which was fun btw), but to figure out if my view of them being lazy is off base.  Also to see if anyone has ever experienced this weird pace line changes with the wind thing.  Granted...it is Alabama!

Edited by Marvarnett 2006-09-29 10:34 AM

2006-09-29 10:33 AM
in reply to: #555674

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: IMHO...Roadies are LAZY
Marvarnett - 2006-09-29 11:27 AM

Questions: 

Have you ever heard of the concept of pulling off into the wind vice the "normal" pace line that pulls off to the left and the next person comes up on your right?

Yes...classic road tactics. I haven't seen it much on group rides, but if they weren't impedeing traffic, I guess it's good to train how you race.

Wheelsucking is definitley a true roadie art form, and how well you do it in large part determines how successful of a racer you are.

2006-09-29 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question...but I loved this post because it made me laugh.  I don't ride in groups much...and this is why!  I can't stand a$$holes!

Roadies aren't necessarily LAZY.  They just can be clique-ish.  Sounds like you ran across a typical bunch of "we're cool, we read Bicycling magazine" bikers.  Sometimes they also feel like they are invincible in a peloton and don't have to follow the rules of the road.

I just don't ride with people like that...simple solution.

Teeheee...imagine if you had come to the ride with a TRI bike?  OMG...they would have killed you.

Edited to add: YES I have heard you should draft off to the left/right to compensate for which direction the wind is coming from.  I never pull because I'm slow so I don't know which direction I'd fall back on.  But the one time I did hear that whole direction the wind is coming from thing was on a no-drop ride where I happened to be one of the slower riders so they were trying to put me in the best possible draft to try to help me keepup.  But we still only rode two abreast to obey traffic laws and stayed out of the main road.

Edited by jldicarlo 2006-09-29 10:39 AM
2006-09-29 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I forgot to mention...I WAS on my Tri bike!  They knew I wasn't a road rider.
2006-09-29 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

My alarm for 'testosterone fueled rant' went off in your first paragraph.

None of you guys have attitudes that would make for enjoyable riding partners. 

Calling them lazy for just doing what roadies do is silly.  So is their shunning you because they're the clique and you're the newbie.  It all just reeks of EGO. 

You get what you give IMHO.

2006-09-29 4:14 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Dan,

I have had the same thing happen to me several times in the "fast group" rides at different LBS. I have a friend who is a roadie and he says his sole goal is to suck as much as he can and pull as little as he can...

I agree about it being a ego thing and I did the same thing, there is no way I was letting them drop me...

When it was over you should have looked at all of them and asked "how about we go for a 1 hour run brick"...lol I mean after all you are an IM....

I try to stay away from the LBS bike rides, because I think that attitude is just silly... My tri LBS rides include everyone and we wait on everyone at top of hills if there are dropped just to make sure they know the way.

2006-09-29 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

(psst dan: that's called a paceline, an echelon, to be more specific, and that's absolutely a racing tactic that roadies practice (or, in my riding club, as automatic as checking HR!) on long rides. they may have been a-sholes, but that's not why! They were probably pissed bc you disregarded that when you dropped to the "wrong" side- the first thing a roadie does is know where the wind is coming from so s/he knows how to adjust-)

There's no excuse for not calling out potholes, or being dickheads, though! 

2006-09-29 5:04 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I don't know much about riding at this kind of level but I'd echo Jim's sentiments on the group dynamics.  As a triathlete I feel like any time I spent learning classic road strategy and drafting maneuvers and ettiquette would be better spent on tri specific training.  Not that I wouldn't get anything out of it, but I've got enough to learn already.  Likewise, as roadies they may feel like "hey - I can go out and make myself ride into the wind any time I want.  These rides are the only chance I get to practice paceline/drafting strategies and techniques and I want to get better at those things.  Anyone busting that up is affecting my training time."

Not defending them as it seems like most of your tale, from both sides, was an excersize in ego and I'll bet EVERYONE got a solid ride out of it, but just trying to explain different viewpoints of the situation.

2006-09-29 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

After much thought and after reading the replies...I have come to the conclusion that:

I too was an A$$hole.  I throw myself on the mercy of the BT COJ court. 

I was ignorant of the rules of a true pace line apparently and was the first to commit a "sin".  BUT...I wasn't flagarant until I was told to try and not get dropped.  (just for the record)

I promise to try and play nice from now on.  I'm a nice guy...really!

2006-09-29 6:54 PM

Master
portland, or
>>Have you ever heard of the concept of pulling off into the wind vice the "normal" pace line that pulls off to the left and the next person comes up on your right?

Yes.

>>Would you consider doing everything you could to "stay in the draft" being lazy?

No.

>>I'm not an overly strong cyclist, so was I in the wrong here?

Yes.

Unfortunately there is an elitism and cliqueness within many "fast roady" groups. Some of it is born out of bike racing being a team sport, some of it due to a lack of trust for the unkown newbie of unkown bike handling capability, and of course a lot of it is ego.

Not all serious road cyclists are like this, nor are all cycling clubs and teams elitist, but when you're with a group like this it's in everyone's best interest to play by their rules. Otherwise, just ride solo, or find a group of other like minded individuals.

Sorry it wasn't a positive experience for you.

scott
2006-09-29 10:16 PM
in reply to: #556196

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

yaqui - 2006-09-29 7:54 PM >>Have you ever heard of the concept of pulling off into the wind vice the "normal" pace line that pulls off to the left and the next person comes up on your right? Yes. >>Would you consider doing everything you could to "stay in the draft" being lazy? No. >>I'm not an overly strong cyclist, so was I in the wrong here? Yes. Unfortunately there is an elitism and cliqueness within many "fast roady" groups. Some of it is born out of bike racing being a team sport, some of it due to a lack of trust for the unkown newbie of unkown bike handling capability, and of course a lot of it is ego. Not all serious road cyclists are like this, nor are all cycling clubs and teams elitist, but when you're with a group like this it's in everyone's best interest to play by their rules. Otherwise, just ride solo, or find a group of other like minded individuals. Sorry it wasn't a positive experience for you. scott

Yeah, but recognize that as a group, roadies are the most stuck up, egotistical, rub it in your face, exclusive, who's your daddy bunch you'll ever meet.  The wrong equipment, the wrong tactics at any given time, the wrong look, the wrong nutrition, the wrong deodorant are enough for them to exclude you, and for the group to treat you as domestique.  You were fresh meat with fresh legs, why not let you pull?!!!

I've ridden with 3 or 4 different roadie groups, fast and moderate, and the prickliness is out of control.  I've had trouble getting a 'hi' out of many groups, and the full disco kit on most of 'em warns me not to ask twice.  The roadies can keep their ol road to themselves.  My only consolation is that when we ride stony creek...I ride with one or two other triathletes...and if we bother to line up, we can fly by the roadies.  Solo, it's about a dead heat....but it's still some satisfaction.  Bastages.

2006-09-30 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

well, like anything else, when you are a guest in someone else's home, you follow their customs and rules. What is strange and weird and rude to you might just be a different culture. deal with it, or stay in your own country!

(and the roadies I know in Madison are super welcoming and friendly, BUT you do need to know what you are doing before you can just go hang with them, especially if it's a group ride where there are team or training objectives planned.

2006-09-30 6:52 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Wow.  I really enjoyed reading your report and was willing to come help you kick thier ******...till I read the responses to your post.  This was very educational to me as I never knew there was so many riding protcals.  I've never ridden with a group and after reading this, I doubt I ever will.  Obvioulsy you were not aware of thier protocals and it would seem to me that they could have told you what was going on.  Upon further thought, I still think we should go kick thier ******.  :-)

BTW, what's with the Alabama crack at the end of your post? 

~Mike

2006-09-30 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My LBS holds paceline workshops & practice rides once or twice a year.  They "strongly encourage" any newbies to ride with the slowest group during the weekly shop rides until: 1.) the riders get comfortable riding in the paceline and 2.) the other riders trust the newbies.

There's a lot of variations and subteties with paceline riding.  I don't particularly enjoy pacelines and would rather do my own workout riding solo.  And I generally don't like to stereotype people, but I my experience is that roadies do tend to be more cliquish than triathletes.

As far as the Alabama thing, all I know is that the Gators are going to kick their a**** this afternoon...

Mark

2006-09-30 1:11 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
If it's any consolation, I am a member of a local roadie club - just joined this year - and I haven't felt that the club is particularly warm and cozy.  As a card carrying/dues paying member, I have not encountered anyone rolling out the welcome wagon and going all-out to be super friendly, except for older riders who have made it a point to get to know me and introduce me to everyone and even after introductions none of the younger folks seem particularly interested in going beyond that.  Although, I can't say that any of my interactions with the club were plagued with the types of egos you seem to have run across.  I just figured that everyone in the club knows each other really well, has probably ridden together for years and I'm just another new face.  I just don't take stuff like this too personally.

Edited by betyoursilver 2006-09-30 1:11 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » IMHO...Roadies are LAZY Rss Feed