General Discussion Triathlon Talk » side cramps during triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-29 8:56 PM

Subject: side cramps during triathlon
I will be doing my first sprint triathlon in two weeks so I did the actual course today so I could get an idea of how to pace myself. I was very pleased with my swim and bike times but when I got to the run leg I cramped up really bad in my sides. Of course this slowed me down considerably. That was ashamed because my legs felt like I could have pushed it a lot harder than I did. The only thing I did different than normal is that I drank about 16 oz. of accelorade at the beginning of the bike. When I normally train, I only do one sport so the workout is only about 45 min. Therefore I don't normally worry to much about taking in much fluids or nutrition. Any suggestions on how to prevent cramps on race day. Did I drink too much? Thanks. Tom.

2006-09-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: #556241

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: side cramps during triathlon

TomBouch - 2006-09-29 9:56 PM  The only thing I did different than normal is that I drank about 16 oz. of accelorade at the beginning of the bike. .

Did you like chug the accelerade at the beginning of the bike? I am not sure how long the tri is, but you mentioned it's a sprint. It's likely you don't even need that much during the race...and you should be able to get away with gatorade (or even just water) or something you're more used to. But never just take in all your hydration right at the beginning of the bike like that...you need to do it throughout.

Your cramps could have been due to a number of things, it's hard to tell. But, just don't try any new food or drink on race day and don't take in anything in large quantities at a time like that. Just do it in moderation and make sure you remain hydrated, but also don't go crazy with it.

Good luck!

2006-09-30 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
TomBouch - 2006-09-29 8:56 PM

I will be doing my first sprint triathlon in two weeks so I did the actual course today so I could get an idea of how to pace myself. I was very pleased with my swim and bike times but when I got to the run leg I cramped up really bad in my sides. Of course this slowed me down considerably. That was ashamed because my legs felt like I could have pushed it a lot harder than I did. The only thing I did different than normal is that I drank about 16 oz. of accelorade at the beginning of the bike. When I normally train, I only do one sport so the workout is only about 45 min. Therefore I don't normally worry to much about taking in much fluids or nutrition. Any suggestions on how to prevent cramps on race day. Did I drink too much? Thanks. Tom.

You know what Tom, I have this exact same problem.

I train, no side cramp. I can do bricks, fine. (Well, when I could run.)

I get in a race situation... BAM! Side cramp on the run. I do know that I tend to up my average on the bike during a race... so I figure that carries over to the run. So this last time, I made sure that I took a distance to cool down on the bike, before hitting the run.

My side stitch popped up in the run, but it was very manageable. I basically took deep breaths and rubbed it with strong pressure. This helps a lot... and you have to do it, the moment you feel any twinge of pain there.

I sprinted towards the finish line... and that made the side stitch really rear it's ugly head... but luckily I could bend over and hurt after the finish line.

Good luck Tom!

2006-09-30 12:45 PM

Expert
Salisbury
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » side cramps during triathlon Rss Feed