General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite rides- your top three Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-01 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Favorite rides- your top three
This is inspired by my ride yesterday in Lake Placid and I got wondering what other people who live in different areas would respond so...

1. IM Lake Placid course- mountains, lakes, rivers, twisty roads through the woods. What's not to love? Okay so there is a smidgen of vertical and sometimes it gets windy.

2. Xterra West Big Bear, CA 2003- suck your lungs out(especially if you live close to sea level) 2000+ feet of vertical gain from just under 6000 ft to 8200 ft to start off but awesome trail and great views. I really enjoyed Western singletrack and would love to go back and ride more at some point.

3. Coastal York County, ME- ocean, beaches, rocks, lighthouse, did I mention ocean- and then you head inland a bit to open fields and twisty wooded roads before returning to the ocean. Bread and butter ride for 2 years. Almost always a bit windy.

Honorary mention- Pedro's Mountain Bike Fest, MA 2005- tight twisty singletrack occasionally popping out to open fields w/ awesome views of the surrounding mountains. Great weather, great company. Smooth without the rocky, rooty garbage that so dominates some of the Eastern singletrack.

Next???

2006-10-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: #556790

User image

Veteran
Stoughton, WI
Subject: RE: Favorite rides- your top three
#1 - Lived in Redmond WA for several years. My favorite ride was a mid week ride, so there was little traffic, up Hwy 2 from Monroe all the way to the top of Stevens Pass.

#2 - I went to school in Missoula, Montana. Just to the north of the Missoula city limits is the Rattlesnake Wilderness Area. ALL sorts of great rides in that area. Ridgetops, valley bottoms, old logging roads, plain old trails. Great stuff.

#3 - Also went to school in Duluth MN. In the middle of town there is a little ski area - Chester Bowl. Surprisingly fun along with intense and hilly single track trails all over that little ski area.

Edited by jeffbach 2006-10-01 11:36 AM
2006-10-01 12:07 PM
in reply to: #556848

User image

Extreme Veteran
jeffbach - 2006-10-01 12:31 PM

#2 - I went to school in Missoula, Montana. Just to the north of the Missoula city limits is the Rattlesnake Wilderness Area. ALL sorts of great rides in that area. Ridgetops, valley bottoms, old logging roads, plain old trails. Great stuff.

Small world indeed! I grew up cross country skiing that area and we ran there when I was a freshman in high school before we moved east. I also used to really enjoying going up to Lolo Pass to ski.
2006-10-01 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Stoughton, WI
there was one single track I remember more than the others. You took the road up towards the RWA parking area. There was a couple of 90 corners on that road. A little ways past the second corner was a right turn onto a gravel road. At the end of that road was a little trailhead. The single track trail started there and went up the creek to the head and then up even more and over to the Marshall Ski area side. All Ponderosa pine, very quiet, lots of litte spots to stop and look out over some great terrain, and lots of lung busting difficult single track terrain.

I also liked the little canyon on the southeast side of town. I think there was a gravel pit thing at the base of the canyon, I can't remember the name. The hill climb up that two lane tar road was as difficult as the descent was fun. Sweat like crazy on the way up and freeze on the way down.

Missoula is a fabulous place!!!!!!
2006-10-01 1:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-01 6:18 PM

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Porcupine Rim - Moab UT

Elephant Rock century (cuz it was my first century)

My next ride!! 

2006-10-01 6:57 PM

Master
Keller Tx

without a doubt, the james river, Belle Island mountain bike trails in Richmond Va.  these were the same trails we did the Balance Bar adventure race series, and the Xterra East Championship races.  awesome singletrack, with only one super challenging section over in Forest Park.

2nd place would be Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, Md.  Trails built on a farm by the local MTB groups.  Used to be great single track, with some challenging climbs, and lots of logs.  It became too popular, and there isn't much singletrack anymore, its much wider now. 

3rd has to be the Columbia Tri course.  We lived in Columbia, so it was nice that we didn;t have to go very far for a Very hilly, very scenic ride.  Local knowledge definatley pays off for people who have ever ridden this course.  the 90 degree turn to crawl up Greenbridge catches many people by surprise after the screaming downhill

Man Im gonna miss those rides......

Edited by Doughboy 2006-10-01 7:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite rides- your top three Rss Feed