General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any ideas for vegetarian dishes or cookbooks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-02 12:30 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Subject: Any ideas for vegetarian dishes or cookbooks
Hello all - my wife has decided to try the vegetarian way of life..and although I told her that I would not give up meat for lunch, I would try to make vegetarian meals for dinner - So apparently there is only so many times a week you can eat pasta and bean burritos. Does anyone have any quick vegetarian dishes that they can share or know of any good cookbooks. Thanks.

2006-10-02 12:50 PM
in reply to: #557771

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Any ideas for vegetarian dishes or cookbooks
I really like to cook fake beef or chicken strips.  You can usually find them in the produce section of most groceries stores.  They make a great base for stir fry with some peppers, onions, and carrots.  I'm not a big fan of the texture of tofu, so these were great.  My husband wasn't in to being a vegetarian and he will eat these.  Veggie meatballs are also pretty good (freezer section).
2006-10-02 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

There are SO many great vegeatarian cookbooks out there.  Just go to your local library or bookstore -- there will be a huge section of them.  You're right that when making a dieatary change, it can be hard to just throw things together because your brain isn't used to the new eating concept yet.  Cookbooks help to keep the ideas flowing and make the food interesting and tasty.

So you know about pasta, and it's endless variations.  Make sure you're putting lots of veggies in the pasta.

Since you like bean burritos, you should try other bean dishes: lentil or split pea soup, vegetarian bean chili and cornbread, red beans and rice, hummus and pitas and veggies for dipping, etc.

Soups and stews are great for vegetarians and easy to throw together.  Even better if you throw in some beans and greens (kale, collards, spinach, etc.) for protein and fiber.

Salads, of course, are great, but keep them interesting.  Make fun dressings and use different toppings (dried fruit, nuts, shredded veggies, sprouts or microgreens) to keep it interesting.

Steamed veggies are great with tasty dipping sauce, and baked potatoes are awesome with veggie toppings (salsa and veggies, chili, etc.)

For breakfasts, smoothies, fruit, oatmeal, are all good choices.

There are quite a few vegetarian recipe sites out there, but here's one I really like: http://www.vegweb.com.  Hope that helps!

2006-10-02 2:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by SweetK 2006-10-02 2:12 PM
2006-10-03 9:20 AM

Try Boca or Morningstar products. The "chicken" nuggets/patties taste better than real ones. Boca is better i think...and they have more vegan options. Boca makes "ground hamburgerr" that we use in tacos, chili, spaghetti, gyros, etc. that is really good. i usually use that when we have non-vegetarian company over for dinner so they dont freak out about the lack of meat....most of the time i dont even tell them its fake!

In the beginning we had brown rice and some sort of bean for dinner almost every day. season beans with 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 onion, and lots of garlic. something about those tomatoes that really help make up for the lack of meat/pork/bone in the beans....even non-vegetarian friends LOVE my beans.

The biggest difference for my husband was the increased amount of food that he needed to eat when we went vegetarian (and even more when we later went vegan) to get enough calories....poor baby. have to eat more. whaa.

i personally think soy milk is disgusting, but it makes GREAT smoothies.

my favorite recipie site is http://www.veganchef.com/recipes.htm

Edited by texanyogi 2006-10-03 9:21 AM
2006-10-03 10:02 AM

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Here's an amazing Peanut Squash Soup recipe.  I thought I'd post it here since we just made it Sunday (for the gazillionth time - we LOVE this soup).

Ingredients:

1 2 1/2 lb Butternut Squash

4 unpeeled garlic cloves

1 C chopped onion

1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and chopped

2 T olive oil

1 1/2 t curry powder

1/4 t nutmeg

1/3 C natural peanut butter

3 1/2 C vegetable broth

roasted peanuts for garnish

Heat oven to 400 F.  Cut squash in half and remove seeds.  Place cut side down on greased baking sheet.  Put 2 garlic cloves under each half. Bake 35-40 minutes until tender.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Sautee onion, apple, and spices until soft.

When squash is done, scoop out flesh into blender.  Remove garlice cloves from skin and add to blender.  Add apple mixture and peanut butter to blender.  Add part of broth to blender and puree until smooth and creamy.  

Pour mixture into a large saucepan and whisk in remaining broth over low heat.  

Yields approx. 8 servings.  

2006-10-03 10:03 AM
in reply to: #558796

Matchman - 2006-10-03 10:02 AM

Here's an amazing Peanut Squash Soup recipe.  I thought I'd post it here since we just made it Sunday (for the gazillionth time - we LOVE this soup).

Ingredients:

1 2 1/2 lb Butternut Squash

4 unpeeled garlic cloves

1 C chopped onion

1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and chopped

2 T olive oil

1 1/2 t curry powder

1/4 t nutmeg

1/3 C natural peanut butter

3 1/2 C vegetable broth

roasted peanuts for garnish

Heat oven to 400 F.  Cut squash in half and remove seeds.  Place cut side down on greased baking sheet.  Put 2 garlic cloves under each half. Bake 35-40 minutes until tender.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Sautee onion, apple, and spices until soft.

When squash is done, scoop out flesh into blender.  Remove garlice cloves from skin and add to blender.  Add apple mixture and peanut butter to blender.  Add part of broth to blender and puree until smooth and creamy.  

Pour mixture into a large saucepan and whisk in remaining broth over low heat.  

Yields approx. 8 servings.  

OMG that sounds DELICIOUS!!
2006-10-03 10:11 AM

Expert
Golden, CO
Thanks for the ideas - I will try a few this week - I actually used the Boca ground "beef" last night for spaghetti sauce and it actually tasted better than when I use regular ground beef. The only problem I am having with the vegetarian diet is that cheese is still on it and we both eat way too much of it.. (originally from Wisconsin so we have a quota we have to meet) I am actually expanding my horizons as far as new vegetables that I will actually eat.
2006-10-03 10:13 AM

cut the cheese (no pun intended) and after a while you wont even miss it!
2006-10-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: #558830

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

jdbadger - 2006-10-03 10:11 AM

The only problem I am having with the vegetarian diet is that cheese is still on it and we both eat way too much of it.. (originally from Wisconsin so we have a quota we have to meet)

Tell me you haven't cut out the beer?!?!  We may need a serious intervention if that's the case.  Is your wife a Cheesehead?  Is she really willing to go brat-less for the rest of her veggie life? Tongue out

2006-10-03 7:55 PM
in reply to: #558881

Expert
Golden, CO
Matchman - 2006-10-03 9:30 AM

Tell me you haven't cut out the beer?!?!  We may need a serious intervention if that's the case.  Is your wife a Cheesehead?  Is she really willing to go brat-less for the rest of her veggie life? Tongue out

We were back in Minnesota for a wedding last weekend with all gophers and badgers and she had a heck of a time not eating the brats...worse yet they gave her a veggie brat and it was horrible. As for beer - I don't drink it and that is why I was kicked out of the state..my wife makes up for me though and drinks the dark stuff that you need to chew..ugh.

2006-10-09 1:26 PM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Ooooh since we are posting recipe's... made this last night. It's a childhood favorite, no meat if you don't add the ham, and is gluten free as well.

Cheddar Chowder

2-3 cups potatoes
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups water
2 cups cold milk
2 Tbsp corn starch
1 pound Velveta cut into cubes
1/4 cup chopped ham (OPTIONAL)

Put potatoes, veggies and water in large pot and bring up to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. While veggies are simmering, mix cold milk and corn starch together. Pour milk mixture into sauce pan over medium-low/medium heat and slowly bring to almost a boil (mixture will thicken considerably). Once mixture is thickened, add Velveta cubes. Once Velveta is melted, add cheese mixture to veggie mixture. Make sure the heat is turned way down, otherwise the cheese can curdle.

This soup is awesome the next day!
2006-10-12 1:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
I saw this on the food network the other day.... It takes about an hour to make but if you make it up on sunday it is good for the rest of the week. I made some this weekend and it is really good!!!!!!!! (obviously use vege broth instead of chicken broth to make it vegetarian)

Morrocan Chick Pea Soup

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
1 large onion, medium diced
6 to 8 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 heaping teaspoon sweet paprika
1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
3 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
1 quart vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 (5-ounce) package pre-washed baby spinach
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until the onions begin to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur. Add spices and saute a minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, and sugar. Season with a couple pinches of salt and 10 grinds fresh pepper. Stir well. Chickpeas should be just covered with liquid. If level is shy, add some water so the chickpeas are just covered.
Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot. Stir in the spinach and let heat through until wilted, just a couple minutes.
Season again, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Serve soup, drizzled lightly with extra-virgin olive oil, if desired
2006-10-12 2:02 PM

Expert
Lake Geneva
Nava Atlas is a great veggie cookbook author. she has a "Meat and Potatoes" cookbook and a "5 ingrediant" cookbook. If you are looking for recipe volume, Deborah Madison has a HUGE cookbook. I also surf the internet when I have an idea of what I want but need a little help. Cooking light has a veggie section in their magazine too. Yoga Journal has recipes. Bean Cuisine soups are great too!

Quick dish from yoga journal: Smoked Tempeh, taco seasoning, tortillas, tomatoes, avocado, cheese (optional) and onion. cook the tempeh in the taco seasoning like ground beef, chop the other ingredients as you would for tacos.

For the next night I put all the leftover tempeh and cheese with enchilada sauce and did a baked dish with a side salad.

FWIW-I am aslo a chef, post how it goes for you both! remember to take vitamins and get all your amino acids and proteins in now that she is a veggie.
2006-10-13 10:45 AM

molto veloce mama
another vote for moosewood. moosewood low fat favorites is a personal favorite. enchanted brocolli forest, diet for a small planet, are also good.

and online - there are TONS of good recipes online!

will have to type out the recipes of some of my favorite dishes when i have some time.
2006-10-13 10:56 AM

Was thumbing thru some of my cookbooks last nite and found a good one....

Vegetarian Magic - At The Regency House Spa by John Nowakowski.

2006-10-13 12:44 PM
in reply to: #568516

Expert
Lake Geneva
autumn - 2006-10-13 11:45 AM

another vote for moosewood. moosewood low fat favorites is a personal favorite. enchanted brocolli forest, diet for a small planet, are also good.

and online - there are TONS of good recipes online!

will have to type out the recipes of some of my favorite dishes when i have some time.

I also like moosewood and Moosewood Sunday dinners.

Question: Why is your wife deciding to go veggie?
Check out this podcast and website www.compassionatecooks.com
You can buy recipes from her site.
You can find her on Itunes under health its called vegetarian food for thought.
2006-10-13 8:14 PM

Elite
Reno

weekends at the moosewood!   each chapter a new ethnicity of cuisine and alot of information.

2006-10-14 9:33 PM

Regular
Delaware
Have you tried using an electric grill? My husband has a select few he chose from until I started using the grill. Asparagus, zuchini and yellow squash are now among his favorites. Roasting mixed veggies in the oven with some olive oil and herbs are really good also, be sure to cover them with foil first.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any ideas for vegetarian dishes or cookbooks Rss Feed