General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Diet Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-02 5:13 PM

Subject: Newbie - Diet Help
Hello .. I'm really just starting out on the training and welcome any links or advice on a good starting diet ... I am focusing on the bike and running at the moment but useless at the diet part and don't want to end up washing myself out from lack of energy but do want to lose the weight

at the moment i'm biking about 22k and run / walking 4 miles and upping the training to 4/5 days a week now.

any advice most welcome .. thanks !

2006-10-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: #558232

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Subject: RE: Newbie - Diet Help
This site has some great articles on nutrition, that might be a good place to start to give you an idea about what kind of nutition athletes need.

And the training log feature on the site will allow you to track your daily meals (under the "Nutrition" button in your log) so you can see your calorie breakdown and figure out what you might need to tweak.

It is tricky leating to both lose weight AND train hard, but with some trial and error you'll get there! Good luck!

Edited by TBZ 2006-10-02 8:30 PM
2006-10-14 12:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Hey Matty, I would say you need to set a goal. Go through your local Tris schedule and pick your first. Then go for it. Set up a training plan and you're off. I can attest it can be difficult to stay motivated at times, but stay involved as much as possible.
2006-10-14 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey there

like michelle said - training hard AND losing weight is really hard... i'm no nutritionist or anything and can only speak of my own experience...

i had always thought i ate a lot during my "diet"... i was never hungry or anything...  but then i started working out more and i just sucked... so i started tracking my food on "fitday.com" and realized, that i'm not eating more than 500-700 cals a day!! back then i lost tons of weight though!

then i slowly increased the calorie intake and by now i eat about 1100-1200 cals a day... i work out 6 days a week - about 1 - 1.5 hrs a day and even though i eat a lot less than i burn i don't really lose any weight at the moment...

i have to eat lots of carbs, cuz without them my performance during the workouts is terrible...

it's really tough finding a middle way between working out hard and losing weight... i'm still at the trial and error thing and i don't think there is THAT diet out there, that works for all of us.... i think it's a progress of learning we all have to do by ourselves...

what helped me though is read through tons of articles and books about athlete nutrition... i have a great book (it's in german - otherwise i'd recommend for you to read it) which starts out explaining what exactly nutrition is... what carbs are and what they are doing in your body etc... reading all that helped me a lot to understand what food is doing to my body...

i don't know how much weight you want to lose, but if counting calories isn't your thing you could also join the weightwatchers... i've lost a lot of weight with them..  

2006-10-16 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
conners - 2006-10-02 5:13 PM

Hello .. I'm really just starting out on the training and welcome any links or advice on a good starting diet ... I am focusing on the bike and running at the moment but useless at the diet part and don't want to end up washing myself out from lack of energy but do want to lose the weight

at the moment i'm biking about 22k and run / walking 4 miles and upping the training to 4/5 days a week now.

any advice most welcome .. thanks !

Keeping your weight down and losing some... is all about calories in and calories out. And you have send more calories out than are coming in... to lose weight.

It helps if you can get a RMR test done... that will tell you how many calories your body uses a day if it were just resting.

I am 5'4", 130 pounds, 26% body fat... and I have lost 5 pounds in two weeks by dropping my calories to 1600-1800 calories a day and 1 cheat meal a week.

I also exercise 5-6 days a week...and I have done fine completing 2, 40 mile bike rides... I wasn't dropped. If you check out my Training Log you can see the exercise I can do on so little calories.

Edited by KSH 2006-10-16 3:08 PM
2006-10-16 3:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I have started by cutting back all the snacks that I don't really need (although still want ) and started to look at my calorie count to see if I can work that better as well.

I struggle with putting food together and tend to take the easy way out - so its time to put some effort in i guess ... I'm about 215 pounds (and only 5'6) so have a bit of work to do.

I'll try and up the training and fingers crossed will see some results shortly

Thanks a mill for advice

2006-10-17 2:47 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i find that logging what you eat really helps...and these days there are all sorts of ways to make it easy. bt has a log built in to the training log. some folks use fitday. i use calorie king. there are many options online. even before you decide on what to do, try logging for a while so you get an idea of where any problem areas are - too many calories overall, not enough carbs, too many carbs, not enough protein, etc. best of luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Diet Help Rss Feed