General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi everybody! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-27 10:40 AM

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Subject: Hi everybody!
Hi everybody! I am a 23 year old student and I just got into triathlon a few weeks ago, when I got a new road bike (love it!). I bought a tri-book and am trying to complete a 11 week zero-to-olympic-distance program now. At the moment I am having my summer break from uni, so I can spend some time for the training (starting my 2nd week of training now). I am just afraight, that I will not be able to spend that much time on training when uni starts again. Can you guys give me any tips how to manage time efficiently? Thanks a lot! The website is great, I really like it!

p.s.: I still have to get used to riding my bike here in windy Scotland! Last time i almost got blown off my bike!

2004-07-27 11:03 AM
in reply to: #40740

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Hi everybody!

I am a middle-aged graduate student.  I usually do my swim/bike/run exercise in the evening before a late supper.  I find it pretty hard to concentrate afterward.  If things are really intense on the studying, like an all-nighter is expected, I find I need to forego the workout.  My exercise goals are quite different than yours.  I am not trying to build up to an Olympic distance.  I am more in a long term fitness maintenance. 

I think the key is how quickly you can recover from the workout and get back to the books.  If you are already in pretty good endurance shape and can recover quickly, you will be alright.  Also look at the training peak leading up to the planned event and the academic peak like the end of the term.   It is not a good idea for the two peaks to coincide.

A shorter distance event than an Olympic requires a lot less intense training.  Maybe that would work better with your university schedule.

TW

2004-07-27 11:54 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome...just realize that its ok to miss a workout...don't get worked up over it.  many find that they are adequetly prepared for 'finishing' an event on less training then the given plan says.  due to things like school/work/family, a lot of us barely eek our ways through a plan and still have a good race.

good luck!

2004-07-27 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  As a parent, full time worker, and full time Ph.D. student, I understand!  I have to plan everything to stay sane.  Meals, workouts, study time, etc.  I find that getting up early for my workouts is about the only way I can do it.  Sometimes that translates into less sleep, but I try to make up for it later. 

Good luck!

2004-07-27 10:43 PM

User image

Central Louisiana

Welcome to the T-Spot!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi everybody! Rss Feed