General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Title IX - changes to policy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-10-06 9:53 AM

User image

Buttercup
Subject: Title IX - changes to policy

The US Department of Education has made a major change to Title IX policy that threatens to reverse the progress women and girls have made. The Department's latest "Clarification" ignores long-time policy and years of court rulings by telling our daughters they have to prove they are interested, while male athletes have never had to prove their interest in order to receive athletic participation opportunities. Visit http://www.savetitleix.com/ for more information.

Read, inform yourself, make up your own mind and move yourself to action if you think Title IX needs your help.

Title IX might not seem relevant to "Triathlon Talk" today but it can affect its audience 5-10 years from now, when there are fewer female participants. 

2006-10-06 10:04 AM
in reply to: #562611

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Title IX - changes to policy
Renee: I understand your concern, I just propose that there is another side to this issue. Title IX's intentions were and are clearly good. The problem has been the implimentation of and the result of Title IX litigation. The problem has been that the Courts have solely looked at the ratio prong to determine compliance and have ignored the other ways Universities can comply, despite schools arguing compliance under one of the other prongs. The COurts have continuously refused to judge compliance by any other means than the ratio method. Ultimately this has resulted in Universities complying with title IX by eliminating mens scholarship sports in order to bring their scholarship ratios into compliance.

I'm just saying that Title IX issues are very complex and should be scrutinized carefully rather than making any knee jerk reactions.

As a former wrestler I have seen wrestling program after wrestling program eliminated by universities so that they become compliant with the ratio prong of Title IX.

I agree Title IX needs to be re-worked, it's not working as intended. The idea is great but perhaps its time we re-visit the issue and find some other framework that will actually accomplish the goals without deminishing opportunities for men also.

Let me just say there's a lot of debate on the number of scholarships added and lost, there doesn't seem to be any real number, it all depends on who you talk to and how they count. There's a lot of debate on how Title IX should be implemented. I agree with Renee inform yourself, read the cases and read the briefs of the parties if you're interested. There are fine web sites on both sides of the issue.

Just saying that , as wiht most stories, there are two sides to this story as well.

Edited by ASA22 2006-10-06 10:10 AM
2006-10-06 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
Well, an email might not be the best way of doing it, but I can understand what they're doing. I understand the concept of Title IX, but often at universities, men's programs will be cut, and women's programs are added, but there are no women interested in playing those sports or filling out those spots. So the money goes wasted, as the men aren't allowed to use it and usually by the time the school realizes the interest isn't there that year, its too late to add a new men's team.

I have a little girl and I wouldn't want her to be held back just because her college has a football team and can't afford any other sports, but at the same time, I don't want my son to not be able to play college baseball or hockey just because the school has to fund a non-existent women's hockey team, simply to suit Title IX.

I agree that the email concept is a bit sketchy, but I think some lessons have been learned in the last 10 years or so.
2006-10-06 10:18 AM

User image

Giver

Title IX is great in theory, but it's been horrible in execution. By and large, schools, instead oid adding opportunities for women have merely taken away opportunities for men. Men's sports have been and are being dropped left and right, and for us triathletes it should be disturbing. Swimming, track and cross country are usually first on the chopping block.

2006-10-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: #562629

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
ASA22 - 2006-10-06 11:04 AM

Let me just say there's a lot of debate on the number of scholarships added and lost, there doesn't seem to be any real number, it all depends on who you talk to and how they count.

What would be a big help to the situation would be to limit the crazy numbers of scholarships in the "revenue" sports. At least the ones that people think generate revenue. The numbers are absolutely ridiculous. How many guys do you need to play a football game? At least 22 right? So why do they have 85 scholarships? How about basketball? 5 on the court, and you can dress 12? They have 15 scholarships. These two sports are fielding multiple teams of scholarship players. It's really ridiculous when you think about it, and when people point to the fact that the "revenue" sports pay for all the others, those are few and far between. Once you get past the Notre Dames and USCs, those football programs really operate in the red.
2006-10-06 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
The issues as I see it center on which sports bring in money vs. ones that don't.  Having a high profile popular men's sport like football, basketball, or hockey requires and brings in a lot of money.  Would people pay as much or get into women's volleyball or swimming?  Would those sports ever foster the school pride and alumni involvement that the Div I NCAA sports are measured by?    No, it's unlikely.  For those reasons I think that title IX helps womens sports at the expense of men's sports, and that's unfortunate, but it's BETTER to do that than to just focus funds on men's sports altogether. 

2006-10-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #562658

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

paTRIck - 2006-10-06 10:23 AM
ASA22 - 2006-10-06 11:04 AM Let me just say there's a lot of debate on the number of scholarships added and lost, there doesn't seem to be any real number, it all depends on who you talk to and how they count.
What would be a big help to the situation would be to limit the crazy numbers of scholarships in the "revenue" sports. At least the ones that people think generate revenue. The numbers are absolutely ridiculous. How many guys do you need to play a football game? At least 22 right? So why do they have 85 scholarships? How about basketball? 5 on the court, and you can dress 12? They have 15 scholarships. These two sports are fielding multiple teams of scholarship players. It's really ridiculous when you think about it, and when people point to the fact that the "revenue" sports pay for all the others, those are few and far between. Once you get past the Notre Dames and USCs, those football programs really operate in the red.

First, it's not just a scholarship issue.  There's no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools, for example, but they have all cut out men's varsity sports to help reach "equitable" participation ratios.

Also, football (& to a lesser extent basketball) tends to be much more important than you'd imagine even if the "program" operates in the red.  Notice the number of alumni that come to attend football games.  Many of these alumni are important sources of "revenue" for the university.  You won't see that at a swim meet or wrestling match, etc.

I have mixed feelings on Title IX.  As a male athlete, I watched programs get sliced and saw friends lose out on opportunities while women's sports were far more populated by multi-sport athletes (so even though the "slots" were becoming more equitable, there were still far fewer women athletes than men).  But without opening those opportunities, I'm not sure that we would have had the "trickle-down" to younger girls taking up these sports.  Over time participation by women is clearly on the rise.  And that's a good thing.

2006-10-06 10:45 AM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
I'm with you JohnnyKay, I just put that out there because you'll always have the people who say "there wouldn't be an athletics dept without the football and basketball teams. Their revenues pay for the other sports to exist." And that may be true at a Notre Dame or USC.

I do think something needs to be done, because I've heard of many times that coaches/female athletes are literally walking around campus begging other students to come out for the team so they can fill out a roster, and sometimes, these are even scholarship slots they're handing out. Tough to have an 8 rower team unless you have at least 8 women coming out. It's tough to play softball with less than 9.

It does seem as though that based on the current law, the schools really do only have two options: cut men's sports or add funding for women's sports. Most schools can add that much funding to the athletics department, so that's why cutting is the only other option.
2006-10-06 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I must second several of the comments made thus far. Having studied sport business & law in school, you can imagine this was quite a hot topic. I, too, have mixed feelings about the issue. I went to a smaller D I-AA school and have seen (among many other issues) a men's hockey, as a club sport and pretty much self supported, grow and flurish due to fantastic promotion and fund raising. The team is very competitive, but will remain a club team strictly due to title ix. As has been said, the issues are complex and ultimately fall to funding. I am all for opportunities and I'm very encouraged by the ladies that participate; however, I'm not convinced that the title ix setup works.
2006-10-06 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
I may not be completely informed, but I'm under the impression that title IX was initially intended to promote enrollment of women at colleges and universities and the application to athletic departments only came about later.

Today, the nationwide college enrollment is 55-60% women, so on some level Title IX has outlived its usefulness. Maybe we need another government mandated program to boost male enrollment in higher education. Or maybe, just maybe government should stay out of this kind of stuff and let individual colleges and universities decide how they want to recruit students and spend there money.
2006-10-06 12:04 PM
in reply to: #562807

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

doublej - 2006-10-06 11:56 AM Maybe we need another government mandated program to boost male enrollment in higher education. Or maybe, just maybe government should stay out of this kind of stuff and let individual colleges and universities decide how they want to recruit students and spend there money.

Except how do you "right the wrongs" of previous generations?  This is the problem with any affirmative action type system.  The current majority "pays" for their predecessors past mistakes.  But absent that, it would take several generations (at a minimum) to "naturally" bring the minority to a level of reasonable equality.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I've been part of enough discussions on it to believe there's no easy answer.  You basically have to accept there will be some "injustices" done in order to yield longer-term equality.  I do agree that at some point Title IX will have outlived its usefulness.  It would be nice to think we're there already, though I'm not so sure.

2006-10-06 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

From what I have heard or read about this issue.

Men's sports have been eliminated because there have not been enough women interested in sports programs within the school.  It seems the ratio must be 1:1 or 1:1.5 at worst.  So because football has 85 players, and there is not womens sport that fields that many players it will result in an "advantage" to the men's programs.

Baseball - Softball, basketball - basketball, volleyball - volleyball.  But wrestling and hockey (most schools would offer womens hockey IF there were enough women willing to play, but there are not.) have no counter part in the womens area.  Schools rather than face the cost of legal battles they know they will lose, have eliminated the programs.

How is that "fair" to the people who want to play?  Even in the programs that women participate in the number of women playing is less than the number of men willing to play.  Why is that?

I agree the program needs addressed, to deal with the overall fairness of the implementation.

2006-10-06 12:25 PM
in reply to: #562821

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
wsm9363 - 2006-10-06 12:18 PM

From what I have heard or read about this issue.

Men's sports have been eliminated because there have not been enough women interested in sports programs within the school.  It seems the ratio must be 1:1 or 1:1.5 at worst.  So because football has 85 players, and there is not womens sport that fields that many players it will result in an "advantage" to the men's programs.

Baseball - Softball, basketball - basketball, volleyball - volleyball.  But wrestling and hockey (most schools would offer womens hockey IF there were enough women willing to play, but there are not.) have no counter part in the womens area.  Schools rather than face the cost of legal battles they know they will lose, have eliminated the programs.

How is that "fair" to the people who want to play?  Even in the programs that women participate in the number of women playing is less than the number of men willing to play.  Why is that?

I agree the program needs addressed, to deal with the overall fairness of the implementation.

I agree with the fact that it is not "fair" to the men of today (or recent past).  But the fact is those women's sports are growing because opportunities opened up.  Unfortunately, you can't start a college women's hockey team and expect a bunch of players to show up when those women did not have any opportunities to play when they were girls.  I assure you, girls hockey is growing.  Title IX is part of the reason.

Hockey is just an example, but you need to have the opportunities to start to draw in the participants.  Chicken and the egg.

2006-10-06 1:13 PM
in reply to: #562821

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
wsm9363 - 2006-10-06 1:18 PM

From what I have heard or read about this issue. Men's sports have been eliminated because there have not been enough women interested in sports programs within the school. 

My understanding of it is that is not the case. My understanding is the school must only provide up to enough slots for female athletes as are interested until the school makes the proper ratio. I think it's also the case that the ratio is the same as the enrollment at the school. So if a school is 60:40 M:F, then its ok to have that ratio of allocation to men's sports to women's. But if that school creates the slots for the women, and only 35% are interested, that does not mean the athletic department must cut from the 60%. As long as the 40% is available to the women, the school can keep their full funding for the men.

Problems really come in then when the numbers are opposite. If the college's enrollment is 60/40 F:M, and all 40% of the men's money is taken and more is wanted/needed, but the 60% is not met, the men can not have the extra that would have been for the women, they're still stuck at the 40%. And if this is a major DI football school, that money gets eaten up very quickly.

At least that's my understanding of how it works.
2006-10-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #562690

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
JohnnyKay - 2006-10-06 11:37 AM

p>

First, it's not just a scholarship issue.  There's no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools, for example, but they have all cut out men's varsity sports to help reach "equitable" participation ratios.

What? Am I missing something here? Having grown up around the corner from Notre Dame, I know quite a few football scholarship recipients, and from the current ND Scout:

"Notre Dame landed their first commitment of the 2007 recruiting season on Friday when defensive end prospect Kerry Neal accepted a full scholarship offer to play for the Irish"

Not really relevant to the issue, just sayin'
2006-10-06 1:29 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
that you for posting this renee, being a mama to two members of that future audience.

2006-10-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #562927

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Stitch26.2 - 2006-10-06 1:25 PM What? Am I missing something here? Having grown up around the corner from Notre Dame, I know quite a few football scholarship recipients, and from the current ND Scout:

"Notre Dame landed their first commitment of the 2007 recruiting season on Friday when defensive end prospect Kerry Neal accepted a full scholarship offer to play for the Irish"

Not really relevant to the issue, just sayin'

Sorry, ND is not an Ivy.

2006-10-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: #562927

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
Stitch26.2 - 2006-10-06 2:25 PM

What? Am I missing something here? Having grown up around the corner from Notre Dame, I know quite a few football scholarship recipients, and from the current ND Scout:

Yep, Ivy League: Brown, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn, Yale, Princeton

Notre Dame is one of the few football independents. Most other sports at ND are in the Big East.
2006-10-06 1:42 PM
in reply to: #562936

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
paTRIck - 2006-10-06 2:33 PM

Stitch26.2 - 2006-10-06 2:25 PM

Yep, Ivy League: Brown, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn, Yale, Princeton

Notre Dame is one of the few football independents. Most other sports at ND are in the Big East.

Sorry, my bad!
2006-10-06 11:58 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I don't have an opinion on this due to being uninformed on teh issue.

I just wanted to chip in that I attended every single Penn State Women's Home basketball game, sat in the front row and paid all of $2 to enter, (except for the tourney games). And they were nationally ranked.
2006-10-07 1:07 AM
in reply to: #562690

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Like many of the guys here, I have mixed feelings on this, especially since I have a daughter and want her to have every available opportunity. However, life is about making choices. And I found this quote particularly important:

JohnnyKay - 2006-10-06 10:37 AM

Also, football (& to a lesser extent basketball) tends to be much more important than you'd imagine even if the "program" operates in the red.  Notice the number of alumni that come to attend football games.  Many of these alumni are important sources of "revenue" for the university.  You won't see that at a swim meet or wrestling match, etc.

I have mixed feelings on Title IX. 

Like it or not, this is the free market system at work. In our society, football, basketball, baseball, and hockey tend to be the most popular sports. Ergo, they get the most attention, and those athletes get the most perks and ultimately the highest salaries if they can make it to the pros. In Norway, they would just be regular Joes - the popular sport in Norway is cross-country skiing. In other countries it's other sports. In Greece, Pyros Dimas is as common a name as Michael Jordan is in the U.S. I bet only a handful of people in the U.S. could identify the sport in which Dimas competed.

Is this fair? No, but life ain't fair. One of the lessons my wife and I are trying to teach our daughter is that life, unfortunately, is about compromises and choices. But just because an opportunity is not there for you doesn't mean you can't make your own opportunity. Just look at all of us here. We all have jobs and families and lives, yet we still make the time and put in the effort to compete in triathlons. We don't need no stinking government program to give us motivation to do it. We do it because we love it, and because we know it's better for us than sitting around on Sunday drinking beer, eating fried foods, and watching others get paid to play a sport that we're sure we could have played if only we were bigger, stronger, or faster, blah blah blah. Yeah, and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Quit complaining that you don't have an uncle and go enjoy spending time with your aunt.

2006-10-07 8:30 AM
in reply to: #562629

User image

Veteran
Lansdale
they killed our hockey team at my college which was one of the most liked and most attended sports there in order to start a girls lacrosse team. this was because of the title IX ratio deal. it should have been the football team because they have rarely won a game, only get about 100-200 spectators most games and cost the school an enormous amount of money. every year they get new shoes, pads, warmups, t shirts for every player and NOBODY is cut. so our football is over 100 strong with double numbers on jerseys. my rugby team, which we started my first year there, had the best record in school history. going undefeated it's 2nd year and we couldn't become a "varsity" team and get school support unless we got the girls team started and up and running. well no girls wanted to play at our school, so we were stuck paying for ALL our costs and even had to drive our own cars to games about 5 hours away. injuries and all those medical needs we had to pay for because the trainer refused to treat us because we were not "varsity." the school even refused to fix up our rugby field which had a manhole cover right in the middle of it which we had to cover with dirt/grass every game. we built the uprights ourselves with our own money too. but it's one of the most loved sports at that school now and gets more love from the student body than the great football team. i think they seriously need to make some changes to this. i understand girls sports werent given much attention, but that doesn't mean you have to curb mens sports to keep it "even." some sports are just more popular than others so sometimes there will not be a perfect 1:1 ratio of girls to guys sports.

Edited by kettlebellcrazy 2006-10-07 8:34 AM
2006-10-07 10:58 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
< interesting that most posters in this thread are male... >

Anywho, about it being hard to fill spots on a team. Well, there's no *history* of a crew team, there's no *history* of a women's hockey team at XYZ University, so naturally, they're not going to get the women who have trained through high school to come there. It takes time to establish a programme, it takes time to get interested recruitable students to look at your university as a place to continue their training.

As a rower, Title IX has helped my sport tremendously. Crew was/is one of the last big bastions of the "old boys" network. Since Title IX, women's crew has become a serious varsity sport, offering serious scholarship, and this enthusiasm has trickled down to the high school level. Girls are being encouraged to row for scholarships...and as a person who was offered a scholarship (and turned it down), that is a good thing.
2006-10-07 11:18 AM
in reply to: #563401

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
FWIW, I read somewhere recently that girls (and maybe boys also?) decide if they're "good at sports" by the time they are ten years old.

If we want our daughters to be active in competitive sports in college, we need to make sure they are active and physically fit elementary school kids.

I'm surprised by how many of my daughter's 4th grade friends don't know how to ride bikes (we live in the 'burbs so there is no excuse!) and do almost nothing physical. Not a good sign for the future if this is normal....
2006-10-07 11:44 AM
in reply to: #563401

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

phoenixazul - 2006-10-07 10:58 AM < interesting that most posters in this thread are male... > Anywho, about it being hard to fill spots on a team. Well, there's no *history* of a crew team, there's no *history* of a women's hockey team at XYZ University, so naturally, they're not going to get the women who have trained through high school to come there. It takes time to establish a programme, it takes time to get interested recruitable students to look at your university as a place to continue their training. As a rower, Title IX has helped my sport tremendously. Crew was/is one of the last big bastions of the "old boys" network. Since Title IX, women's crew has become a serious varsity sport, offering serious scholarship, and this enthusiasm has trickled down to the high school level. Girls are being encouraged to row for scholarships...and as a person who was offered a scholarship (and turned it down), that is a good thing.

Yes, women's rowing has been a big beneficiary of Title IX.

Reason: Lots of slots (nearly unlimited as you can just keep adding boats to the roster) so it helps the ratio. Girls are being encouraged to row because it helps schools achieve their goals.

Edit: Not sure why it's "interesting" that a lot of men care about Title IX.  To date, it's probably had a bigger impact on most of us than on women in aggregate (though that gradually changes as girls are growing up with greater sports opportunities).

Edited by JohnnyKay 2006-10-07 11:47 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Title IX - changes to policy Rss Feed  

of 2