Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-07-28 4:59 PM
in reply to: #41051

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: RE: You're gonna love this

This guys makes some pretty invalid points.  Such as Ricky Williams' ability to keep up with the peloton in the TDF.  I would wager that Ricky would struggle to keep up with a lot of local cycling clubs, much less the best riders in the world.  HOWEVER, whether or not Lance is the best "athlete" on the planet right now depends on your definition of "athlete".  His chosen sport does not require a lot of hand-eye coordination, or more than one particular type of body control, while catching and running with a football or hitting a major-league baseball does.

2004-07-28 5:04 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
haha, I love that baseball players are even considered athletes. How many of them are fat? Offensive lineman, defensive lineman, when was the last time they even saw their feet? The most dominant player in basketball (Shaq), 325 pounds?

I guess golfers, bowlers, and nascar drivers are better athletes too because after all, anyone can ride a bike...
2004-07-28 5:04 PM

User image

Elite

Does anyone out there remember when ABC Sports used to put on this hokey competition for World's Greatest Athlete or something where they invited top people from different sports to compete in a series of events that were not their sport.  I guess it drew in viewers for a few years.  Maybe, Mr, Dimrem wants to revive it.

-tw

2004-07-28 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
You know, I think the basis of this article is just rediculous to start with, so its basically just stupid journalism. Lance couldn't take a hit from Ray Lewis just as Ray Lewis wouldn't make it 1km on a bike. Its apples and oranges.

But, when you consider how one man dominates his sport unlike any other, then there's a comparison work making. When you think of a person being in their own leagu, being able to lap the rest of the entire field, then names like L. Armstrong, H. Aaron, M. Spitz, M. Ali, A. Palmer, W. Chamberlain, and N. Lopez come to mind. There are many others, but I think the argument is made on a more comparative basis. A running back that bolts in just his 5th year in the league is not in Lance's league at all.

Just my 2 cents.
2004-07-28 6:06 PM
in reply to: #41296

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
tech_geezer - 2004-07-28 2:04 PM

Does anyone out there remember when ABC Sports used to put on this hokey competition for World's Greatest Athlete or something where they invited top people from different sports to compete in a series of events that were not their sport.  I guess it drew in viewers for a few years.  Maybe, Mr, Dimrem wants to revive it.

-tw

This competition still takes place every year. And guess who's won it every year the last few years? The world's best ski racers have. Bode Miller for one and if I remember right, Daron Rahlves did one year too. Kind of interesting. I'd love to see Lance compete in it some time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » You're gonna love this Rss Feed  

of 2