General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hydration nutrition question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-09 10:19 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: hydration nutrition question

This is kind of a question for you serious runners.  By serious, I mean you guys who go out and bust to finish fast and not just finish.

Over the past year of my run training, I haven't been following "proper" hydration and nutrition stradegy during the run.  Any normal run i do that is 13 miles or less, I don't carry anything.  I don't drink or eat during the run.  On the longer stuff, I do pack food and water though.  Before and after, I do follow proper hydration and nutrition stradegy, however.

Is this a bad thing?  During these runs, I have never felt like this has hindered me and all of these runs are around 2 hours or less.  The half I ran yesterday really made me start thinking about this.  During the run, the only thing I had to drink was one splash at mile 4 that was big enough to wet my mouth.  I didn't eat anything before or during.  It was the fastest I've ever run that distance (even though I've only ran twice in the past 2 months) and I didn't feel like my performace was hindered by my lack of nutrition or hydration.  In fact, I was pushing at a level hard enough that I think having something in my stomach would have done more harm then good.  At the few races I've jockstrapped (some 15k's), it always seems that the FOP runners just blow through the water stops too, so I'm not the only one that does this.

So.....is this absolutly horrible?  should I concentrate on drinking more during my running to get my stomach used to it? Does it matter that when I'm doing base runs, I'm staying in zone 2, but I'm racing in zone 3 and 4?

2006-10-09 10:41 PM
in reply to: #565136

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: RE: hydration nutrition question
I would suggest... try bringing some water and/or nutrition with you on you next training run that is an hour or longer in duration. See how it makes you feel. Note the 2nd half compared to without hydro/nutrition. If you find that it makes you feel heavy or sloshy... ditch the idea. If you feel better... experiment with the amounts and timing and fine tune your hydro/nutrition plan so its best suited for you. No one can answer this question better than yourself. So, figure it out in training and then... well... run with it.
2006-10-10 7:04 AM
in reply to: #565136

User image

Runner
I will say this. I have done 12 mile training runs and brought nothing with me. But, I've also done half mary's, and while there was water on the course, I was hurting by the end.

It's probably not the best thing to do, but if you can do it and feel ok, then hey, right on. Think about it: before we had gels and sports drink, fuel belts and Camelbacks, how do you think people trained for marathons and such? The first marathon was run in armor, and I don't think they had Nike Shox back then.

If that's what your body is used to, then that's what your body is used to. The real trick is to maintain your hydration before and after. As for the need for gels and such, it could be a sign of increased fuel efficiency.
2006-10-10 9:13 AM
in reply to: #565214

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
On a training run, for me at least, anything over 12 I'll bring something with me whether it is just two bottles off my Fuel Belt that I'm carrying or one of the Belts fully.

Racing, anything over 10k I'll drink and gel, anything 10k or less I just blow through the water stops. I don't even know why they have them on 5k's ..... :-P

Here is a good guide to hydration strategies/problems ......

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=299&OMI=&AMI=&...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hydration nutrition question Rss Feed