Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 655,000 Iraqis die because of war - CNN headline Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-10-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #567918

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: RE: 655,000 Iraqis die because of war - CNN headline
phoenixazul - 2006-10-12 4:41 PM
gullahcracker - 2006-10-12 4:32 PM
trigods - 2006-10-12 4:13 PM I think the reports in the articles for Playboy are pretty unbiased
I know the pictures are unbiased but probably brushed over a bit.
ACtually, we ARE required to read the Q&A from Playboy for our Interviewing class...they've got some of the best style in the business.
So you're telling me you buy them for the articles. Riiiiggghht. Never heard that before.(eyes roll)

2006-10-12 3:48 PM
in reply to: #567926

User image

Runner
gullahcracker - 2006-10-12 4:43 PM

You make an excellent point about local news. But the "news" portion of news is usually unbiased.
But in judging bias we, as a news using community, are poor judges. Any news we don't like we brush aside as biased. If a report says Clinton is a womanizing hoe chaser, although I know it's true, I'm inclined to believe the reporter's bias against Clinton. If another reporter says W is a drunken imbecile who couldn't tell the truth if his country depended on it , I'd probably agree. That's my bias not the medias. So is there such a thing as media bias, well yes, but it pales in comparasion to our own bias and our expectations of reporters.

See, I disagree. The news portion can show a bias based on the stories shown, and how information is presented. Just like you said. And you are right, our personal bias does reflect in our judgement of the media as well. But, again, if your primary sources are biased to the left, your stories will all have a left-leaning slant to them. That does not mean that the information is wrong, just that it is presented to reflect someone's viewpoint.
2006-10-12 3:51 PM
in reply to: #567938

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Scout7 - 2006-10-12 4:48 PM

gullahcracker - 2006-10-12 4:43 PM

You make an excellent point about local news. But the "news" portion of news is usually unbiased.
But in judging bias we, as a news using community, are poor judges. Any news we don't like we brush aside as biased. If a report says Clinton is a womanizing hoe chaser, although I know it's true, I'm inclined to believe the reporter's bias against Clinton. If another reporter says W is a drunken imbecile who couldn't tell the truth if his country depended on it , I'd probably agree. That's my bias not the medias. So is there such a thing as media bias, well yes, but it pales in comparasion to our own bias and our expectations of reporters.

See, I disagree. The news portion can show a bias based on the stories shown, and how information is presented. Just like you said. And you are right, our personal bias does reflect in our judgement of the media as well. But, again, if your primary sources are biased to the left, your stories will all have a left-leaning slant to them. That does not mean that the information is wrong, just that it is presented to reflect someone's viewpoint.

Something important to note on the local vs. national news take...local news can take the time to focus on "positive" stuff, because they are invested in local communities and issues, plus they have the sort of contacts and sources within the community that they can build relationships and reliable information pumps.. National news media gets broadcast to milllions of people a day, its hard to do that sort of reporting when you've got to cover national and international news in x amount of time.
2006-10-12 3:53 PM
in reply to: #566372

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Before you disagree let me clarify what I meant by news stories. Bus crash, plane crash, Stock Market report, weather, sports scores, murders, Boy makes Eagle Scout. Those irems of news are hard to skew one way or the other. Reporters generally give you the who, what, when, where, why and move on. Political news on the other hand ie gov, war, elections, health care etc   normally biased by reporter and listener.
2006-10-12 3:55 PM
in reply to: #567942

User image

Runner
phoenixazul - 2006-10-12 4:51 PM
Something important to note on the local vs. national news take...local news can take the time to focus on "positive" stuff, because they are invested in local communities and issues, plus they have the sort of contacts and sources within the community that they can build relationships and reliable information pumps.. National news media gets broadcast to milllions of people a day, its hard to do that sort of reporting when you've got to cover national and international news in x amount of time.

"Positive"? *Snerk*. You should try watching the local news in Philly. So far this week, we've gotten coverage on a hostage situation (maybe 10 miles or less from my house), couple murders, several accidents, and random other "positive" stories. Most of those are reserved for the slightly less news-oriented local morning shows.
2006-10-12 7:43 PM
in reply to: #567948

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Scout7 - 2006-10-12 4:55 PM

phoenixazul - 2006-10-12 4:51 PM

"Positive"? *Snerk*. You should try watching the local news in Philly. So far this week, we've gotten coverage on a hostage situation (maybe 10 miles or less from my house), couple murders, several accidents, and random other "positive" stories. Most of those are reserved for the slightly less news-oriented local morning shows.

Hence the use of quotation marks. But what I was getting at is that your local news station (or your local college station!) is more likely to cover brownie camp outs and blood drives than your NBC affiliate.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 655,000 Iraqis die because of war - CNN headline Rss Feed  

of 4