General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standard HM questions, and detailed assistance request... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-11 3:15 PM

Subject: Standard HM questions, and detailed assistance request...
There is a half-mary in my neck of the woods on Nov. 11. I would like to run it. My main question is three-pronged (and it’s asked all the time): Can I run it? Should I run? How should I expect to do?

Current situation:
- I have 18-months experience running, dozens of 5Ks, a 5-mile race, a couple of sprint tris, and a 2mi/20mi/2mi duathlon. No 10Ks under my belt.
- My 5K pace is around a 7:45.
- I’m running 14-16 miles/week in 3 or 4 sessions (down from tri season).
- I cross train at least once a week on the bike (road and/or mountain).
- My long run 7 weeks prior to race day was 6 miles at a 10:05 pace.
- My long run 5 weeks prior to race day was 8 miles at a 10:30 pace.
- My standard 3-mile training runs are feeling super easy these days.

My secondary concern (should I receive recommendations to go ahead and try) is how to proceed with training. Would anyone like to help me layout a plan until race day that builds my mileage a bit more and tapers all within the next 4 weeks?

2006-10-11 3:25 PM
in reply to: #566926

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Standard HM questions, and detailed assistance request...
Technically, yes you could probably run it. And yes, you could probably ramp up to the mileage safely. I say probably because one never knows. With all that being said, why so soon? Why not find one a little further out, and train up for it properly?

Most people are probably going to say go for it, I'm gonna argue maybe pushing it off. You could get the quantity of miles in, but are they going to be quality? Besides, what are you expecting out of this race? Is there a particular draw that you want to run it? If not, and you just want to run a half, I would wait for another.
2006-10-11 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
As I figure it, you have about 20 TRAINING DAYS left until the Nov 11th race. I don't think you'll get any fitter within 10 days or so of the race.

Is 8 miles your longest run? How long ago did you do that run?

If you can safely ramp your long run up to at least 10 miles by then go ahead and do it. You might be leaking a little oil by the finish line but you should be ok to at least finish if that's your goal.

2006-10-11 3:27 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

edgeman - 2006-10-11 3:15 PM - I cross train at least once a week on the bike (road and/or mountain).

You need to ride lots, more than once a week!

edgeman - 2006-10-11 3:15 PM My long run 5 weeks prior to race day was 8 miles at a 10:30 pace. 

If my math is right, you ran this 8-miler last weekend? If so, I'd say you're well on your way, over the next 4 weeks run a 9-, 10-, 11-, 12-miler on successsive weekends, keep your weekly runs the same as you've been doing or possibly add a mile here or there.

2006-10-11 3:36 PM
in reply to: #566944

Thanks everyone for super fast responses.

Scout7 - 2006-10-11 3:25 PM

Technically, yes you could probably run it. And yes, you could probably ramp up to the mileage safely. I say probably because one never knows. With all that being said, why so soon? Why not find one a little further out, and train up for it properly?

Most people are probably going to say go for it, I'm gonna argue maybe pushing it off. You could get the quantity of miles in, but are they going to be quality? Besides, what are you expecting out of this race? Is there a particular draw that you want to run it? If not, and you just want to run a half, I would wait for another.

Mostly, I just want to run one, it's very close to where I live, and the next one on the calendar within reasonable distance from my front door is 6 months away. I could very easily wait and run one next spring with more training and confidence going in, but I'm afraid I'll die of boredom with nothing else to do until then (except train).

Yellow_Dawg - 2006-10-11 3:26 PM

As I figure it, you have about 20 TRAINING DAYS left until the Nov 11th race. I don't think you'll get any fitter within 10 days or so of the race.

Is 8 miles your longest run? How long ago did you do that run?

If you can safely ramp your long run up to at least 10 miles by then go ahead and do it. You might be leaking a little oil by the finish line but you should be ok to at least finish if that's your goal.

My 8 miler was just this past weekend. It hurt only a little at the end, but it didn't stop me from hitting the MTB trails later that day. And yeah, I pretty much jsut want to finish, but if I can run sub-2:20 I'd be thrilled.

the bear - 2006-10-11 3:27 PM

edgeman - 2006-10-11 3:15 PM - I cross train at least once a week on the bike (road and/or mountain).

You need to ride lots, more than once a week!

edgeman - 2006-10-11 3:15 PM My long run 5 weeks prior to race day was 8 miles at a 10:30 pace.

If my math is right, you ran this 8-miler last weekend? If so, I'd say you're well on your way, over the next 4 weeks run a 9-, 10-, 11-, 12-miler on successsive weekends, keep your weekly runs the same as you've been doing or possibly add a mile here or there.

I did ride a lot more than once a week, when I had to, during tri season. My last multi was almost a month ago now, so I've cut back on my riding drastically. Do you think I need to ride more for a HM?

Yep, my 8-miler was last weekend. I was thinking along the same lines but by building a little bigger (by 2 on the longs each week), then tapering for a week.

Edited by edgeman 2006-10-11 3:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standard HM questions, and detailed assistance request... Rss Feed