General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A newbie (sort of) from the Caribbean Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-13 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: A newbie (sort of) from the Caribbean
Greetings all!

I'm new to the boards, but not to the website.... (I've been haunting the boards for a few weeks now )

I'm interested in competing in triathlon, but havn't been able to bring all the pieces together yet to actually make it work. I live in the Cayman Islands and was supposed to be competing in the sprint tri here in Nov., but couldn't afford to buy a bike. (I have an old clunker that weighs about 700 pounds and would be ridiculous to try to use in a triathlon) I kind of gave up my training half way through this year, figuring it wasn't worth it...

However, I'll be moving to the states next year and plan on competing in a sprint triathlon in Wyoming in July. (Where I'll be moving to) So, I need to get my lazy but back into shape!!!

I absolutely love, love, love this site!! I need to loose about 40lbs to get back into the shape I was in 5 years ago. I was running and lifting weights regularly back then and was 2 weeks away from running my first marathon when I broke my back. I then had to have extensive surgery the following year to repair and rebuild the vertebrea and have been a mushroom ever since!!

Well the back is fine now, but I've lost all my muscle tone and my cardio strength. I was hoping that this triathlon in Nov. would motivate me to get back into shape, but the expenses just overwhelmed me (It's obscenely expensive living in the Cayman Islands!!!). But, I know have a new set of goals and a renewed desire to get back into shape and do triathlon.

I'm hoping to be able to find the support and encouragment here I've been looking for. I think I can, since you guys all seems to be so nice to each other here.

I want to join one of your wight-loss challenges, but didn't want to just butt into a thread unannounced. So, here I am! Can I join in on the fun??!!

2006-10-17 5:34 AM
in reply to: #568329

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
Subject: RE: A newbie (sort of) from the Caribbean

hey there!!

sorry just saw this thread today... caymans, huh? that sounds great...

with the weight challenge groups here... i'm pretty sure you're welcome in every single one of them...  what i can say for sure is that you're more than welcome in our "tri'umphant loser" group... we're not really a weight challenge group (some weigh in, some don't) but we're a weight loss support group... so just post there and introduce yourself if you feel like it!!

hope to "read" from you again,

~Kathie 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A newbie (sort of) from the Caribbean Rss Feed