General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sorry I didn't stop to help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-29 10:07 AM

Connecticut
Subject: Sorry I didn't stop to help!
Just wanted to send out an apology to the guy i rode by the other night!
I was out riding the other night w/ the bf and we rode by this man on the side of the rode, another cyclist who had a flat...i don't ride with a tool set and neither does my bf - as we went by the man asked if either of us had an extra tube by chance, we didn't and we told him so, as we rode by (without really even slowing for him)...i thought about him our entire trip home, we quickly turned off that road heading in another direction from him and there was no where to stop to try to get him help (I live in a very remote part of CT)...Like I said, I thought about him our entire ride, that I wish we could have helped, or at least slowed down to help...Next time, I promise to be prepared for ya!!! Sorry!!
Now i feel like i should def. invest in a little tool bag and pump to ride with! don't want to get stranded like that!

2004-07-29 10:20 AM
in reply to: #41489

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: RE: Sorry I didn't stop to help!
Don't feel too bad, like you said there was not much you could do, other than walk the guy home. This does bring up a good point, though.

If you are road riding more that a couple miles from home it is ESSENTIAL to be self reliant in case your bike needs a repair. This is even more true for those of us who live and/or ride in remote areas. This is a rider safety issue and should be taken very seriously. A flat in the middle of nowhere leaves you very vulnerable if you don't have the means to fix it and continue on.

Get a small pack that carries tire levers, a spare tube, a set of hex wrenches, a patch kit, and some way to inflate a new tube (mini pump or CO2 cartridges). It should be large enough to slip in your cell phone also. I make sure I always carry a little cash and my ID when I go riding.

My LBS sells a 'survival kit' for about $40 that includes everything I listed above - one of the best purchases I made for my bike.

Finally, make sure you know how to change a flat - see if a friend or your LBS will show you how if you're not sure what to do. Many LBS will provide mini-clinics on bike repair that include how to fix a flat, reset a thrown chain, etc.

Be safe out there!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sorry I didn't stop to help! Rss Feed