General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running with blisters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-15 9:14 AM

Pro
yep,
Subject: running with blisters

I somehow have gotten a blister on one of my toes underneath on the bottom where it rubs against the itty bitty toe. Wondering if anyone has had this problem and what recommendations they have for helping the aid process during my running.

thanks 

2006-10-15 11:45 AM
in reply to: #569350

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Subject: RE: running with blisters
Can't speak from experience but body glide between these toes should reduce the friction and minimize risk of blisters.
2006-10-15 3:03 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
Use a fine needle, drain it, wrap a small bandaid around it, run. You may wish to put a little neosporin on the pad of the bandaid. I think it is better to drain it rather than allow it to pop. You can keep the skin on it better that way until the fresh skin starts to strengthen up. Got to get used to that stuff. If you run much, the toes can get fairly ugly. Mine are pretty beat up. Two black toenails on one side (bad shoe) and a place where yesterday I cut off a very large wart that I had recently frozen with liquid nitrogen. Fortunately that was on the top side of the toe. I tell you what, the blisters are kind of annoying, but if your old like me, the general body pains make them pale in comparison. Oh, I guess that is why I am taking up the tri!
2006-10-15 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I agree with the post above on how to treat the blister.  For me, it's usually the socks that cause blisters.  They have a tendancy to slide in the shoe and your foot.  I use my cycling socks (tight socks made from a technical material) for anything more than an hour of running.  I've had good luck with using body glide, especially on the toes and then Defeet socks.  I usually just buy the overprint ones from Performance.   Good luck.

Ernie 

2006-10-15 4:37 PM
in reply to: #569436

User image

Fishers, IN
Yes, you are right. Cotton is definitely a no no. Wright socks or others made of the synthetic/technical fibers. Something I have heard others say is that solid deoderant sticks work as well as body glide. I personally use a little baby oil on the chafing areas when doing long runs. It seems to hold up pretty well to the sweat.
2006-10-17 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I use write socks and sport shield. I like that combo. It works well for me. I only get blisters if I get stones in the shoes.

yeah I had really bad blisters once and I could not walk but once I popped them I had no problem and could walk just fine. Just becareful and care for them post pop otherwise its easy to get new blisters where the blisters were.

2006-10-17 2:44 PM

Veteran
After treating it and until it heals, you can put a small piece of duct tape on it each time you run.

Edited by Momida 2006-10-17 2:45 PM
2006-10-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: #571029

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Pop it with your fingernail, dab it with a tissue, air the puppies out for the evening/night, go out and run again the next day.

Suck it up buttercup!!!

(Seriously dude, don't be a woos! )
2006-10-17 3:43 PM
in reply to: #571097

User image

Runner
Daremo - 2006-10-17 4:38 PM

Pop it with your fingernail, dab it with a tissue, air the puppies out for the evening/night, go out and run again the next day.

That's what I did on Saturday. Except for the run the next day part. That didn't happen. But I did do a fair amount of walking.

I always get blisters on the tip of one toe, and underneath my big toe. Almost every race I do, it's a guarantee that I'm gonna have one in at least one of those spots. I've tried everything, too, but I still get 'em. The safety pins for your number are good for popping them, too.
2006-10-17 3:52 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

If you drain the blister it won't be as painful- I promise That's my recommendation.  I use a sterilize needle (make sure it's sterile) and drain the blister.  Don't put anything like Neosporin on them or something that's going to keep the skin moist- you want it to dry up.  Try soaking your feet in epsom salt/water/vinegar.  The salt will help dry up the sky and the vinegar will kill any germs in the water to prevent infection.  To dry up the skin I use betadine- you can buy it at Wal-Mart and it'll dry the skin and toughen it up really fast!  It works wonders on blisters!

BTW- I was able to run with these blisters after doing the above, so your blister should be fine once you drain it!

Edited by runnergirl 2006-10-17 3:55 PM

(blisters.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
blisters.jpg (22KB - 24 downloads)
2006-10-17 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex

When backpacking and climbing deep  in the backcountry you don't have a choice but to take care of your blisters.  You can't call for rescue because you have booboo on your toe.

Use a needle and drain the fluid from the blister, be very careful not to remove the upper layer of skin as that will serve as your band-aid and will help the blister heal faster.

Get some Moleskin and cut a square out of it.

Place it over your blister, noting the size of the blister.

Cut a circular hole in the moleskin so that the moleskin will not stick to the blister (this can be very bad if it sticks to the blister, when you remove the moleskin you will pull off the flap of skin).

Apply that piece of moleskin over the blister and place a square cut piece of moleskin over the top of that.

Essentially what you have just created greatly resembles a corn pad with out the medication inside.

Moleskin will stick to your skin and will not move around like a typical band-aid will.  It will stay on until you are ready to remove it or it will come off on it's own in a few days.  In most cases your blister is already healed by the time the Moleskin comes off.  Moleskin, Moleskin +, and MoleFoam are available in roles and are very inexpensive.  This may sound like a complicated process, but in all actuality it is very easy, very quick and works wonderfully.  I walked down 7000 feet last year when I climbed Mt. Blanca with moleskin on my feet and didn't have any pain.  I have also used this method in very wet conditions while backpacking in East Texas.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running with blisters Rss Feed