General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-29 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
Normal, Illinois
Subject: Running Help
I got a new pair of running shoes around Memorial Day that weren't the right shoes for me. I started to have knee, shin and hip problems after running on them for a month or so (tri - training in that month, so I was running less than usual and therefore noticed the problem later). Now I have shoes that are good for me, but I'm still having problems. I'm wondering if it's a weight plus too much too fast issue (I'm 5'9", 168# and started a training program for the Chicago Half Marathon 2 weeks ago), but I've never had as many problems like this before. I don't know what to do, it's very distressing because running has been and is one of my favorite activities for 4 years now, and I'm worried I'm going to cause permanent damage. I realize this is kind of a vague plea, but does anyone have any ideas?

Julia

2004-07-29 9:04 PM
in reply to: #41706

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Running Help
You may want to see your doctor, but I'd definitely take those shoes and go to a running store (like Fleet Feet) and have them check your foot alignment as you run. If the pain has just started since you initially got these 2 pairs of shoes, you may just need either different shoes, or possibly an insert (read: custom footbed). You're doctor can rule out any muscular/ligament damage, etc. It's possible that it's something else; such as inflammation from over-increasing your mileage recently. You should know the drill here: stretch well, ice the knee right after running, knee brace if necessary....I recently read an article about applying heat about 20 minutes BEFORE exercise, to increase the blood flow to the area prior to starting.

Do you jog slowly to warm up before starting, or do you just take off running right away? Stretching before and after? How about on non-running days? Do you wear high heels to work? Do your everyday shoes fit properly? How much mileage are you doing in a day, both walking and running?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Help Rss Feed