General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching from Mountain Bike to Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-19 11:54 PM

Subject: Switching from Mountain Bike to Tri Bike
Hello all, long time lurker and first time poster. I'm getting my first tri bike really soon. Consequently, this will also be my first road bike. I have ridden a mountain bike for ages with very limited falls and was wondering how concerned I should be with switching to a tri bike. A few specific questions:

1.) If I have good balance on the road with my mountain bike (even with no hands), should I have pretty good balance on my tri bike?
2.) I never used clipless pedals on my mountain bike but will be using them on my tri bike. I'm very patient and have good balance (and don't panic ). Should I be nervous that I might damage my (aluminum w/ carbon fork & seat stays) tri bike from falling from beginner clipless pedal mishaps or are the falls pretty easy on the bike (at lower speeds)? I guess I'm concerned because I haven't fallen off a bike in ages.

Any info about this the MTB to Tri bike transition would be helpful. Thanks!

2006-10-20 12:18 AM
in reply to: #573392

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Switching from Mountain Bike to Tri Bike
Exactly how I transitioned. Never had a road bike and I also never used clipless pedals on my MTB. Used the MTB for a sprint and OLY, then transitioned to 1/2 IM (and full IM in less than a month) with the tri bike.

I'd say the tri bike is more twitchy up front because of the frontal weight as the MTB has barely any if any at all. But balance was not an issue. For me, it was more the narrow hard arse seat and the neck and back muscles that need to get used to the aero position.

Now, clipless, you need to get used to. And trust me, at some point, you will eat it. But you won't have to worry about falling OFF the bike, just tipping over as you will still be ON the bike. The pros though, you will realize the power you have with them as the pedal stroke is very efficient and the power generated is way more than without them.

EDIT: When I fell in the beginning, it wasn't at high speeds, just when you slow down or stop...sometimes you unclip the right, then still lean and fall to the left. OR you slow down to stop, but the stupid shoe is clipped in wierd, so you can't get out. And eat it that way. So to answer you question, you will not damage the bike usually because your body is in the way (the half that's clipped in still).

Edited by auto208562 2006-10-20 12:21 AM
2006-10-20 2:14 AM

User image

Expert
I just did the exact same thing that you are considering doing a week ago. I have had my tri bike for a week now and do not have clipless pedals on them yet. I want to gain more confidence on my bike before I move on to something new. For me that's to many new things to get use to at once. Before this I had only rode a road bike twice. I was nervous at first riding on tri bike when I went to the LBS to buy a bike, but my nerves where quickly calmed, after my first test ride. My advice is take your time and buy one thing at a time or add clipless pedals once you feel more comfortable on your bike. I'll probably end up puting Speedplays on mine, but only after a month or two after some good riding. Good luck
2006-10-20 3:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
You will love the Speedplay pedals, bought mine at the beginning of the year and have had zero problems. Taking a spill isn't inevitable, as long as you think ahead you'll be fine. Enjoy!
2006-10-20 6:39 AM

User image

Master
brummie land
why not stick the cliplesss on the mtb to practice?
2006-10-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: #573428

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
sappho96 - 2006-10-20 6:39 AM

you stoled my idea. I totally agree. if your going to fall then do it on the crap bike. it takes a long time to get used to it. hehe I am still not used to it.

2006-10-20 8:35 AM
in reply to: #573428

sappho96 - 2006-10-20 6:39 AM

That sounds like a fantastic idea. Should road pedals fit on a MTB crank? I'm thinking of getting Speedplay Zeros because they are forgiving with their float and I have a strange knee alignment discrepancy. Good to hear you guys like them.
2006-10-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #573500

User image

Calgary

any pedal will fit on any crank.  You'll just need an allen wrench or a pedal wrench to make the switch.  Don't crank the pedals down on the cranks though, snug is good.

b. 

2006-10-20 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
The only thing that I might caution you about when putting road pedals on a mtb is not to ride tight trails but stick to the streets. Road pedals have a tendancy of being more difficult to exit than mtb clipless pedals do so on the trails, you might have a better chance of falling than you would just riding on the road. You should make the transition fine just remember one thing: keep your upper body loose. I don't have a tri bike yet but I do have aero bars on my road bike and prior to riding it I mtn biked a lot. I learned very quickly that if you don't keep your upper body and sholders and neck loose in the aero position, you will be very sore very fast! Good luck and congrats on the new ride! What are you getting?
2006-10-20 9:10 AM

User image

You are going to fall.  There is no way to get around that.  It doesn't hurt anything but your pride.  Falling over at a stop sign is a right of passage that all bikers must face...embrace it.  You will soon be one of us!
2006-10-20 9:23 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Something else to consider - speedplays are great pedals but they don't work well with dirt. If you start using your speedplays on a MTB trail there is a good chance that you will get crap in your cleats and you won't be able to clip in at all. My suggestion instead of putting them on your MTB is to pracitice clipping in and out. If you have a trainer or maybe you can use one at the bike shop your purchasing your bike at - hop on and just clip in and out. It will feel a little unnatural and you will have to think about it at first - taking your foot in and out of the cleat - but after a pretty short period of time it really ends up not being a big deal. And yes, most of us have had some sort of clipping incident - typically you are not travelling fast - your bike will survive fine...your pride will be hurt for a few hours. I think sometimes people worry about it too much. Switching from your MTB to a road bike - the first thing you will notice - you don't have to work so hard........

Good Luck

2006-10-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: #573540

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Seconded. My first was at a red light at a busy intersection with a bunch of guys on Harleys watching.

Then there was the time I circled around to ask a farmer directions. He looked up at me, I said "hi", at which point I proceeded to slowly tip over and smack the road with my left side. He waited a couple of seconds and deadpanned back "Hi".

And don't worry about looking foolish. As far as anybody around you is concerned the spandex you're wearing already took care of that.

triOK - 2006-10-20 10:10 AM You are going to fall. There is no way to get around that. It doesn't hurt anything but your pride. Falling over at a stop sign is a right of passage that all bikers must face...embrace it. You will soon be one of us!

2006-10-20 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well the time I fell I could not bike for a week because I could not grip my handle bars and my elbow hurt pretty bad. I was not moving when I fell. I tried to turn too sharp around a courner opps.
2006-10-20 11:03 AM

Thanks for the tips all. I don't plan on using my MTB on any trails anytime soon so that's not an issue. I am not so much scared of getting hurt myself or my pride getting hurt. For the one that asked, it's looking like I'm getting a 2007 Felt S22. I'm making my final decision over the weekend so the LBS can put in an early order for me.
2006-10-20 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
uh, if you are getting that bike, PLEASE practice the pedals on your MTB. I'm cringing with the thought of you tipping over on your new bike while you get used to the pedals.

And by practice, do more than just ride around the block for a little while. Take it out on a road ride a couple of times. It won't take long, but will save money in touch-up paint.
2006-10-20 12:59 PM
in reply to: #573733

regimom - 2006-10-20 12:13 PM

uh, if you are getting that bike, PLEASE practice the pedals on your MTB. I'm cringing with the thought of you tipping over on your new bike while you get used to the pedals.

And by practice, do more than just ride around the block for a little while. Take it out on a road ride a couple of times. It won't take long, but will save money in touch-up paint.

Yeah, that is the plan. This is sort of a gift to myself for getting out of debt so I'm definitely going to baby it. I've been riding my MTB on the road anyway so I'll get the pedals early and practice while I wait for the tri bike to come in.

2006-10-20 5:14 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I also switched from a mountain bike without clipless, though I went to a road bike with the new pedals. For my first ride with the clipless pedals, I rode on a hardpacked foot trail in a grassy park nearby so that any falls would be into the soft grass. I also practiced clipping in and out of either or both pedals, first leaning against the side of the garage and then repeatedly while I rode in the park.

Edited by Micawber 2006-10-20 5:17 PM
2006-10-22 9:33 AM
in reply to: #573778

User image

Master
Colorado
EnduranceMatt - 2006-10-20 11:59 AM

Yeah, that is the plan. This is sort of a gift to myself for getting out of debt so I'm definitely going to baby it. I've been riding my MTB on the road anyway so I'll get the pedals early and practice while I wait for the tri bike to come in.

That is an excellent present. I just recently got myself out of debt as well, I think I should do the same!!!!!!!
2006-10-22 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
You will love the Felt S22, I have the 2005 model and it just flies. Huge difference from riding a MTB; have fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching from Mountain Bike to Tri Bike Rss Feed