General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for first tri Oct 3rd (sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-30 3:55 PM

Subject: Training for first tri Oct 3rd (sprint)
Okay, here goes. I am 34 year old mother of 4 training to finish my first triathlon. I have been running (if you want to call it that) since February. I had to get ready for a PT test (in the Air Force) so I started running for that. I have been an on and off again runner. I don't actually like running because I am so slow (and short). I've also been gaining and losing the same 5 lbs for the last 2 years and would like to lose more. About a month prior to deciding to start a tri training program I was running 3 days, biking 1 and swimming 1 day per week. My schedule is crazed because I work 12 hour shifts so it is very hard to get it all in. I plan to run in a 5k in September to get some organized event racing under my belt. I did my first brick on Monday and didn't need an ambulance so I am pretty psyched about that. I have actually been keeping track of my training since the 11th on paper and just converted to the log on this site. Would appreciate any comments from the more wise and experienced.

2004-07-30 6:06 PM
in reply to: #42006

User image

Subject: RE: Training for first tri Oct 3rd (sprint)
Welcome, you get a medal for time management! Your kids will really benefit from seeing you be active. You are off to a great start by documenting your training, the BT training logs are great thanks to Ron!

Edited by zagagirl 2004-07-30 6:06 PM
2004-07-30 6:27 PM

Phoenix, Arizona
GOOD FOR YOU! I'm not more wise and experienced, in fact I'm probably less experienced than you, but just wanted to let you know I'm proud of you! I have been trying to run, on again off again, for about 2 years now. The most I've ever run is 3 miles. Right now I can do one without stopping. That's it! But the goal is my very own triathlon (I did a relay w/my boyfriend last month and we're doing another next month in Chicago: I only do the swim, he does the rest). So I'm really impressed that you're gonna do the whole thing in October! Get those kidlets out there running with you, it will really help the kids to see you active, as was stated above. Good luck and keep us posted!
2004-07-30 8:44 PM
in reply to: #42068

Thanks! The kids come with me when I swim and run. I keep them involved. I really like the graphs for a quick visual.
2004-07-31 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  I think time management is the 4th sport when it comes to tri training!  Hang in there and good luck in your tri!
2004-07-31 7:05 PM

Mad City
hey you're farther along than *I* am....I can't hardly swim one length of a pool, much less complete a sprint.

I can run and love to road bike, but the swimming scares the 'crud' outta me!

I only found this site by accident....I'm perhaps a tri-wannabe

btw, I'm a 51 yr old teacher and mom of 2 teenage boys/yup, time management is key, eh?

Edited by Bucky 2004-07-31 7:06 PM

2004-08-01 12:14 PM
in reply to: #42215

The swim is not so bad! Set small goals, like down the pool in back without stopping, then gradually increase one length at a time. Before you know it you will be swimming laps like a pro. You can do it!! Time management is a huge issue, especially when your training two disciplines in one day.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for first tri Oct 3rd (sprint) Rss Feed