General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » NYC newbie here- See you in Louisville Ironman! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-21 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Subject: NYC newbie here- See you in Louisville Ironman!
Hi everyone,

I just posted in the Louisville thread but wanted to make my way here and introduce myself as well. I'm 25, live and work in Manhattan, and am now signed up for my first Ironman.

I've completed two marathons (SF & San Diego) and have been looking for a new challenge. I'm also a member of a very competitive master's swim team in NYC. I also have a road bike that I purchased this summer (An Orbea Mitus Dama Ultergra- snagged a great deal) that I've been putting in miles on.

I dabbled in a few sprint distance tris in college and am planning over the next ten months to do an olympic or half as training. More than a few people have told me I'm insane for signing up for the iron distance right away, but really this is the only time in my life I know I'm going to have the hours to train for it. Next fall I'm moving the SF Bay area for grad school and just not sure I'll have a big block of 25 hours a week to devote to training! Plus, I've been lusting after the iron distance for two years now, and just decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I have a coach in NYC who is a 2 time Kona finisher (and actually there today- go Cedrick!) who is going to help with my training.

A few questions:

Anyone in NYC looking for a longer road ride partner? My laps and laps of Central park are beginning to be a little dull, and also going over the GW I like to have a friend since I don't entirely know where I'm going yet.

I'll probably search for a lot of these answers, but I'm interested to know what sort of lifting routines ironman competitors have?

Also, should I do any mods to my bike? Right now it is pretty stock although I did spring for pedals and shoes. I'll pick up some aerobars in a few months, but it seemed like everyone at the bike store advised against getting them right away.

Thanks everyone for saying hello!
Courtney

PS- too bad about Team Hoyt today. I've been watching the webcast all afternoon and was truly dissapointed to see they didn't make the cutoff for the swim. I was rooting for them!! Nevertheless, their legacy will continue as they thrive in the 70.3 distance events going forward.

2006-10-21 8:51 PM
in reply to: #574478

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: NYC newbie here- See you in Louisville Ironman!
Welcome to the site!  And enjoy your journey to IM-L'ville.  More than 1 person has made the jump to IM in the first year.  Do it well and care for your body along the way.  Sounds like a lot of BT folk will be there.
2006-10-23 6:49 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Yep, sounds like you are a lot more prepared than the average couch potato (me) to jump to an IM that fast, so good luck.  Most of what you asked about are subjects discussed regularly in Tri Talk.  You can search the forums and/or just keep up on the threads there and you will learn a ton about all aspects of tri training.  Watch the Iron forum too, for more specific IM discussions.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the site!

2006-10-23 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Denver
wow, sounds like you have great start already. Enjoy the trip. I got a tri bike as my 1st (and only) road bike - the aerobars took a little while to get used to but the more hours you put in with them the more comfortable you will get so I wouldn't be put off about getting them. Just don't ride in traffic until you feel comfortable in them.
2006-10-28 2:48 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Hi Courtney,
Welcome.
If you can make it out to jersey, there's tons of great riding out here in the "country". Send me a PM if you're interested. I certainly know a bunch of club rides.

Actually, i tend to head into the city for the NYRR races 1-2/month.

Good luck w/ Louisville.

Walt
2006-10-28 10:30 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Welcome to BT! and like everyone has said you are well above the curve starting out. You will be great! Just keep up the training and the IM L will be a great experience. I am hoping to find that great moment in my near future.

2006-10-29 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Welcome to BT Courtney!
2006-10-29 9:02 PM

User image

Welcome! A couple thoughts on your post:
1) you are not insane. I did a similar thing - did a couple short course tri's years (like 15) ago and then while watching IMWI in 05 decided I wanted to do it, so I signed up the next day and finished it last month. Just find a training plan that you can commit to, and then commit to it!

2) I don't know what kind of grad school you're going to (I'm in grad school now myself) but I'd say you probably could not ask for a BETTER time to be training. You'll have to be disciplined, but you have a lot more flexibility than you would be if you were working in a "real' job.

3) I did my IM on a road bike w/o aero bars. For me, it was more crucial to just get the miles in on the bike and I didn't want to have to fuss over getting used to the bars. I think I saw ONE other person on the course w/ straight road set up, though quite a few had aero's on road bikes.

Good luck & have fun!
MCM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » NYC newbie here- See you in Louisville Ironman! Rss Feed