General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim paddles suggestion/recommendation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-23 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: Swim paddles suggestion/recommendation?
Today my Master's Swim coach told me to get some paddles. "Sure," I said, not realizing I would be overwhelmed with choices when I went to swimoutlet.com.

Any suggestions on what to get from you paddle-savvy swimmers out there?

As an aside, if you'd told me two years ago I'd be shopping for swim paddles...

2006-10-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: #576030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kuna, Idaho
Subject: RE: Swim paddles suggestion/recommendation?

I like my swim gloves http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1118.htm

Talk about a good muscle burn when using them.

2006-10-23 5:28 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Others with more experience with paddles will chime in but something I have often heard is that you need to be very careful with paddles as they can cause all kinds of muscle problems if used to much, too soon. They can really torque your muscles and cause some downtime to heal.

Congrats on hooking up with a Master Swim program - awesome way to improve your stroke.  Make sure that they know your goals involve triathlon swimming (long distance endurance with enough for the bike + run) and not short distance sprints (e.g. 100m hammer ballstothewall freestyle).  The difference is focus on efficiency of the stroke vs. powering the arm turn over.

2006-10-23 5:41 PM
in reply to: #576114

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
brian - 2006-10-23 6:28 PM

Others with more experience with paddles will chime in but something I have often heard is that you need to be very careful with paddles as they can cause all kinds of muscle problems if used to much, too soon. They can really torque your muscles and cause some downtime to heal.

Congrats on hooking up with a Master Swim program - awesome way to improve your stroke. Make sure that they know your goals involve triathlon swimming (long distance endurance with enough for the bike + run) and not short distance sprints (e.g. 100m hammer ballstothewall freestyle). The difference is focus on efficiency of the stroke vs. powering the arm turn over.

Excellent advice all around. I've been with my Master's program 2 years, and with this particular coach for 1-1/2 years. He's totally tuned into what my interests are -- though that still doesn't excuse me from having to do the butterfly -- yikes! This is the first time he's ever mentioned paddles, so I think it's clearly a case of "he's ready for paddles."

BTW, the coach is quite a story in his own right. Don Easterling, who's semi-retired now, and was formerly coach at NC State, as well as a bunch of other stuff:

http://www.swimmingcoach.org/hof/coaches/deasterling_info.html

Amazingly kind and funny gentleman who just loves swimming and teaching -- even MOP age groupers like myself.

2006-10-23 9:57 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I'd suggest going with hand paddles rather than any sort of glove.  Paddles were originally used to help fine tune technique but it's common for people to think they are for strength training.  To a degree they can be used to develop strength but you need to be careful.  Most paddles today have a bunch of straps to hold them in place and that really defeats the purpose.  When you get them I'd encourage you to use only a single finger loop on each hand...nothing for your thumb or wrist.  This will hold the paddle to your hand but make you use proper hand position on entry and recovery.  Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.  If you aren't using the proper technique the paddle will flop all around or get knocked off your hand completely.  As for picking the right paddle, I'm not sure it matters much.  I use these Speedos and like them...not too big and have some contour to fit your hand.  Again, ignore the extra straps and just use the single finger loop.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2129.htm 

2006-10-23 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm taking a swim class geared for triathletes and we are using Finis Freestyler paddles. They are made for only freestyle and if you put your hands incorrectly in the water or pull wrong, they sort of force you to do it correctly. We do drills like 100 yds with them, and then 100 yds without to help us learn the correct hand position for our pull. I really like them for that.

I found them at a good price a sportsbasement.com

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim paddles suggestion/recommendation? Rss Feed