General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Trianer Choices Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-01 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: Bike Trianer Choices
I've been doing a li'l research on some of these bike trainers and was wondering what to purchase. The Tacx Flow Ergo trainer looks pretty cool, letting you change the resistance during the workout with the handle-bar mounted controls.

I also noted the CycleOps fluid trainers, that apply more resistance as the cadence increases.

Anyone have experience with these or any other models of trainers?

2004-08-01 8:33 AM
in reply to: #42261

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Subject: RE: Bike Trianer Choices
I have a fluid trainer as I have wooden floorboards and they are less noisy than wind trainers. I have heard tell that you reach a point where the fluid motion creates some drag but I can' t say I have noticed it that much. I put it down to fatigue! And I will spend 60 to 90 minutes on it, but I have to admit I am usually watching TV so not paying too much attention! Deidre PS I can't be bothered getting out of bed to check the brand, but I will if you want that info. Mine has given years of completely hassle free service. No maintenance at all.
2004-08-01 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Sorry for the spelling error.
2004-08-01 8:45 AM

Online or Offline
On these trainers........uh trianers (kidding, Motivated):

1) do you HAVE to put a riser under the front wheel so you are level? I saw one of these in a tri catalog, but have never heard the use of one really warranted. So do most people use them, don't mention it, because it's a given?....

2) Is shifting your bikes gears not effective in a trainer? IE do you just pick a gear on your bike and then have to go with the trainer's resistance to vary your workout?

Gonna get one for the winter I think....
2004-08-01 9:11 AM

West Chicago
I know there's a huge difference in cost, but if you want what might be the best trainer out there, consider the CompuTrainer. This device is extremely effective and offers way more than the standard trainer. I firmly believe that I get a far better workout on the Computrainer than on my bike out on the streets or paths. With being able to race metal man and monitor your power output and cadence with SpinScan you can not ony put time in on the cycle but get maximum benefit from it. Sorry if I sound like a salesman (I'm not) but I really think this pieceof equipment can make a difference in bike training.

I got mine at the LBS. Here's Computrainer's website:

http://www.computrainer.com/index.asp

Have fun!
2004-08-01 9:40 AM
in reply to: #42268

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I ride a couple of hours a week on my trainer so here are my thoughts on the questions about Trainers:
1. You don't need a riser for the front wheel but I'd highly recommend it. If you don't have one you are effectively riding downhill all the time. This puts unusal pressure on your pelvis and may make riding very uncomportable. Plus you really can't get out of the saddle (you can't rock the bike under you). Performance sells a riser block for about $10.
2. Shifting is the way you vary restistance on the trainer. Most trainers don't allow you to shift resistance without getting off the bike so what I do is ride for a few minutes on the small chainring just to get cadence and warmed up, than I shift to the big ring for the workout. Shifting the rear derailer gived me some veriences every few minutes.

One thing to keep in mind is the trainer probably will not tell you how far you ride. I went out and got a rear wheel mounted computer to use on my bike (plus it has cadence which is nice) for my bike. If you don't know how fast you are going and how far you've rode it is hard to really get a good workout-at least for me.

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Trianer Choices Rss Feed