Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Paint stripping fumes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-27 2:29 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: Paint stripping fumes
Gack!

It's cold here and getting colder. I have not turned on my heat yet and am getting tired of it. My house is an old victorian house and full of windows, which is why I love it. But those windows are like throowing money out of them when I turn the heat on. So I have to cover them all with plastic sheeting. But my front room which is entirely windows has about 100 layers of paint that are all bubbling. Last year the tape did not stick to the bulbble uneven paint and I might as well have not put up any plastic.

SO I just put paint stripper on all the frames and opened a window. So now my house is cold AND it smells like fumes. I also hung a drop cloth via masking tape from the cieling in front of the open entry way to that room to help contain the fumes and the breezes. I think it will be staying up all winter.

Did I mention I'm renting? The landlord came over ot look at the rooma nd see what I was comlaining about. He offered to STAPLE the plastic up. When I told him it wouldn't create a good seal he said, "I don't care what you do." And that was that.

2006-10-27 2:35 PM
in reply to: #581357

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-27 2:45 PM

Runner
Subject: RE: Paint stripping fumes
Are you related to my wife at all? Because she's big into all the stuff you just mentioned.
Her plan for tomorrow was building a retaining wall. Keep in mind, we have taken no measurements, and ordered no stone. Needless to say, we are NOT installing said wall this weekend.
2006-10-28 7:55 AM
in reply to: #581395

Master
MidWest
Scout7 - 2006-10-27 2:45 PM

Are you related to my wife at all? Because she's big into all the stuff you just mentioned.
Her plan for tomorrow was building a retaining wall. Keep in mind, we have taken no measurements, and ordered no stone. Needless to say, we are NOT installing said wall this weekend.

McFuzz would say that I'm married to the both of you sense I do this kind of thing too!!!

As far as the fumes go, Trying turning on a fan to help lessen the fumes inside. We have an old home (1918) and I am in the process of stripping off all of the old paint. I'm just a little ADD when it comes to projects like this. I'm hoping to finish this summer when I have a little more free time since I won't have full-time school work. Another thing you might try is to use a heat gun instead of chemicals. That way you won't have fumes and you can sweep/vaccuum the paint strips.

BAMBAM
2006-10-28 9:28 AM

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

Put in one of these babys!

Doesn't fix your draft problem....but much cheaper heat than gas.  I heat my whole house for about $350 per year (2200 sq feet).  The heat can be adjusted also, unlike wood stoves.  So one room doesn't cook and the others freeze. (englanderstoves.com)

Edited by shawn barr 2006-10-28 9:31 AM

(pellet stove.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
pellet stove.bmp (28KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Paint stripping fumes Rss Feed