General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bullhorns and numb hands anyone?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-28 7:50 PM

User image

Subject: Bullhorns and numb hands anyone??

Last month I switched to a tri bike with bullhorns.  On any ride over 30 miles, my pinkie and ring finger on each hand start to go numb, on really long (70+) rides it's like they don't have any strength.  The feeling lasts into the next day

I do have crappy gloves that need replacing

I assume the way I am holding the bullhorns is impinging on a nerve and/or blood vessel, I am consciously working on changing my grip, but even today's 50 miler, with several different grips, resulted in the same

Is this a fit issue?  a mere glove issue?  A hand placement issue?  all of the above?

2006-10-28 9:43 PM
in reply to: #582025

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Bullhorns and numb hands anyone??
Are you talking about the bars with brakes on them (not aerobars)? If you are, I had the same problems but not sure if it's the same cause. I bought some pearl izumi gloves and they helped, but it didn't solve my problem for too long. Another thing that helped somewhat was that I leveled out my seat with the aero pads so that there's not a great difference in height. The seat height difference made me sort of lean forward and apply alot of pressure on my hands. The leveling of the seat allowed me to be more slack on the seat as opposed to always "leaning" on the front bars with brakes. This took off alot of the pressure of my hands.

However, I think the thing is, we aren't suppose to stay that long in that position...we should almost always stay in the aero position with a tri bike.

The reason I was always in that position was because I just couldn't get over the neck strain when in aero. But after putting thousands of miles on my tri bike, I finally got over that and I rarely go into the bars with brakes (unless I have to stop).

If you are talking about the aero bars, I've never had a problem with numb hands. Most of the weight should be on your elbows and sholders so not sure how it would affect your hands unless you are gripping too hard or possibly your aerobars are too straight or slightly bend downwards. Mine are bent upwards so it's very comfortable.

Edited by auto208562 2006-10-28 9:44 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bullhorns and numb hands anyone?? Rss Feed