General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill -vs- trail effort... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-02 7:47 AM

Pro
Andover
Subject: Treadmill -vs- trail effort...
Hi Folks,

I'm a little confused about a couple 5 mile runs I have done over the last 2 weeks. The first one, which was my first 5 miles, I did on a packed gravel path and did it in 0:56:00. It was at a very comfortable pace and my breathing wasn't labored. I didn't have a HRM at the time so no help there.

Now, yesterday, I did 5 miles on the treadmill and I could only run at a 4.0mph pace as I was out of zone 2 if I went any faster. Originally I had set the speed to 4.5 as I figured that would set me at about the same pace I did for the "run" I did on the trail but that pace felt fast to me and my berthing was a bit more than when I was outside.

I would have thought the trail run would have been more difficult than the treadmill but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I'm wondering if maybe the mileage I marked off on the trail, using my MTB, isn't right.?.?.?

Has anyone else experienced more difficult runs on the treadmill than outside (Both were fairly flat terrain / settings).

Thanks for any insight!

Regards,
Rob

2004-08-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: #42507

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: RE: Treadmill -vs- trail effort...
did you check the incline of the treadmill...my wife walks alot on the treadmill, and she does inclines, and leaves it up often...I have been caught, halfway through runs, trying to figure out why I am so tired, and then realizing I am at a 4.5 incline so often, that I check before I get on now...that would explain why you were so bagged...if not, maybe just an 'off' day, did you check your heart rate in the morning...sometimes your body is telling you it needs to rest

d
2004-08-02 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
I have noticed that I never can go as fast on a treadmill as I can on roads or trails. I know people say that treadmills are easier, but I generally run 9:30-10:30 per mile on the roads, but on a treadmill the same perceived effort (and heartrate) are more like 11-13:00 per mile. From watching myself compared to others i think I may have a faster cadence on the treadmill, because I can slow my legs down with the treadmill speed staying the same, but it feels very uncomfortable, and when I watch my cadence compared to someone on a faster MPH setting, I'm usually similar. I usually run at .5-1% incline.
2004-08-02 10:04 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Treadmill and trail efforts are completely different. I think the treadmill requires less use of the back of the leg to push, because the ground is moving for you. However, you have to get your leg forward to avoid falling off the back. This results in a higher leg turnover on the treadmill, and it has been my experience that my heart rate is higher on a treadmill even though I'm not pushing the ground much. So it could be that it's harder for you because it emphasizes different running muscles. Or the quick turnover made the aerobic effort more difficult.

-dave

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill -vs- trail effort... Rss Feed