General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Galloway Run/Walk Method Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-31 4:17 AM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Subject: Galloway Run/Walk Method
Anyone use Jeff Galloway's run/walk method for marathon training and racing? His concept is that you should have a ratio of running and walking that you maintain from the beginning of the marathon. This is very obvious for those who are not strong runners. However, he premises that his method will really help folks trying to PR. According to his book "Marathon" the gain diminishes around the 3 hour mark.

The theory is that be shifting from running to walking you shift muscle groups, push back the wall, and preserve your running leg strength. He also states that you only lose about 20 seconds per mile of walking. In practice you could run a 3:30 marathon by running a 7:40 mile and then walk for one minute at each mile mark. You can reduce your ratio at the 18 mile mark and abandon it at 20 miles if you feel good.

Anyone try this who has some tips? I bonked at mile 20 and his theory makes sense to me.

Steve

2006-10-31 5:14 AM
in reply to: #583821

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Galloway Run/Walk Method

all my runs are using this method. I swear by it bor speed, injury prevention, quicker recovery, and FUN.  Then again, I haven;t run in a million years, but when I was a runner, I ran/walked at 4:26 marathon using that method, (8:1) my fastest miles were 22/23.

LOTS of debate around here on the topic, especially the claim that a strong runner can PR using that method. Many Bters think that it should be sonething to grow out of, ie, when you get stronger and faster the walk break will, by definition, slow you down over the long haul.  The proof of this belief is that no elite runner uses this method. My belief is that for the ave Joe/Jane,  it CAN be a "style" that you need not grow out of, you just run faster during your run segments.  You also need to really keep the pace up during the walk part (I walk just under a 15 min pace) there are threads on this, lemme look around.

2006-10-31 5:53 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

After struggling with my running for the past couple of years, I've decided to follow the Galloway half-mary plan to prepare for the Sarasota half marathon in March.  While my goal is to complete the Sarasota race, my ultimate objectives are to both improve my triathlon running and to lose twenty pounds. 

My ego has had to adjust to it a bit, but I am finding that my mile pace times are actually faster on my longer runs.  I feel good at the end of my workouts and running every other day on the Galloway plan also gives my 53 year old bones adequate time to recover.  Guess I'll find out on March 4th how successful it is.

Mark

2006-10-31 6:12 AM

User image

Elite
I started doing it after my tri season was over 1.5 months ago. Running has always been pretty tough for me and that final 5K run in most sprints usually was really tough. It was a huge hit to my ego to start run/walking but I did it because I want to increase my distances up to a few half marathons and a possible HIM next year. All I can say is that it does work. I added 5 minutes every week and my last "long" run was for 60 minutes. I maintain about a 10 minute per mile pace because I am really trying to keep my heart rate down. I run for 5 minutes and walk for 1 minute. The best thing about this method for me is that it really helps with recovery. I have one pretty bad ankle and two questionable knees from years of playing football, in addition I am carrying around 246 pounds on a 6 foot frame. Stocky would be a good explanation for my build. By using this method I am able to easily run 3 times a week and could probably go more when I am ready to up my miles. I have taken the last 1.5 weeks off because of deer hunting but am really looking forward to starting up again next week.
2006-10-31 6:27 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

While I don't specifically follow Galloway's method, I do run/walk when training and racing. I can definitely say the change in gait from run to walk is GREAT for my legs - I did MCM this weekend and the walk portions felt really good, not because I was going slower, but for the change in muscle usage.

I'm not a strong or fast runner by any means, but this really kept my legs feeling good this weekend - I'd definitely give it a shot.

2006-10-31 6:50 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

berlinsd - 2006-10-31 4:17 AM  Anyone try this who has some tips? I bonked at mile 20 and his theory makes sense to me. Steve

The tips in your race report make more sense to me:

"Train more. I should have ran more LSD. I should have done two 22 milers and a 20 miler. But I went off schedule and just went for it."

2006-10-31 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Not that I've ever been a fast marathoner, but my PR (3:58) was done using the Galloway principle -- scheduled walk breaks right from the beginning.
2006-10-31 2:56 PM

User image

Queen BTich

I met him in person and he got me to run again, without pain, after several months due to injury. I swear by his method now and have seen others have great success with it.

I find that my times are similar to when I'm not taking walk breaks. I'm not trying to run a 3 hour marathon either. I've kept 8min miles for races while consistently taking 30 second walk breaks.

2006-10-31 3:21 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I do a run/walk method but it's not on purpose.
2006-10-31 4:50 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
i ran part of the Bug Sur Marathon with a guy who did the Galloway thingy. he finished in 3:18 something, so there. on the other hand - who knows how fast he would have been had he trained for running the whole course? the problem is that it's hard to have a control group for oneself.

on thing is for sure though - if you are going to take walking breaks you better practice walking!
2006-10-31 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

I've always incorporated regular, short walk breaks into my long runs and marathons.  My first marathon was the closest I've done to the Galloway method, where I took a one minute walk break every mile for the first 18 miles, then ran the rest of the way.  My goal was to go under 4 hrs, and I went 3:54 on pretty limited training (longest runs just one 18 mi and one 22 mi).

The following year, same marathon, still did walk breaks, but this time I took the walk breaks at every aid station, which were every 1 to 1.5 miles.  These walk breaks were probably typically about 45 seconds.  Finished in my marathon PR of 3:18.

My typical protocol now is to take about a one minute walk break about every 15 minutes during every long training run.  If it's really hot, I'll knock this down to every 10 minutes.  I use this time to take in my fluids.

During an IM marathon, I'll walk through every aid station, and make it my goal for those to be my only walk breaks.  Easier said than done ;-)  Once upon a time, I managed a 3:38 IM marathon while walking through every aid station.

Regular, planned, short walk breaks work for me.  I always just shake my head at the notion of some folks that one must run every step of a race or the effort is somehow diminished.  Whatever gets you to the finish line, baby!   I do buy into the notion that the shift in muscle stress/recruitment from these little breaks help your legs recover and delay the onset of fatigue.  Perhaps there's no legit science behind it, but I know what I feel, and I feel like it helps.  Mental, physical, whatever.  It works for me.

-Steve

2006-11-01 1:25 AM
in reply to: #584659

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Steve in IL - 2006-10-31 5:53 PM
Perhaps there's no legit science behind it, but I know what I feel, and I feel like it helps.

I guess the theory is that by taking the walk breaks, you rest your legs so that you can run faster on the run portions thus making your overall average pace faster than if you tried to run the whole way. Someone who is into computers could run a simulation on this just to see if the math works out. Of course, the unknown here is whether this is actually true from a physiological standpoint, i.e., can you really run faster on the run portion such that your average pace will be faster than with straight running.
2006-11-01 4:23 AM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Thanks for the input. It seems like everyone is in the same quandry as me.

Bear makes a great point in looking up my race report for my previous marathon. Breaking through the wall is my primary concern followed by the ability to maintain pace. I hit the 20 mile mark at an 8:45 pace. But then took an 1:20 to run the last 10K.

On the one hand, it sure makes a lot of sense that if you lose 20 seconds per each mile you walk then you'll slow down. On the other hand, if you conserve energy and strength by balancing the muscles then you'll run faster. Dan Browne once told me that you lose 2 seconds for every second that you start out too fast. In a marathon that could be devastating.

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Galloway Run/Walk Method Rss Feed